XFINITY modems, 2ghz vs 5ghz speed

wezra

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
We currently have the XFINITY - ARRIS Touchstone DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem and Wireless Router with Telephony Adapter linked via an Ethernet cable to an Apple AirPort Extreme 2 and then to two additional AirPorts for coverage in the house... it's a fairly large house with 3 floors. The Xfinity modem is an older one that supports 2.4 ghz but not 5 ghz wi-fi. My Apple equipment supports both 2.4 and 5 ghz. When I do speed tests their is a marked difference in the 2.4 ghz upload and download speeds vs. when I switch to the 5 ghz network in the house. The 5 ghz being much faster. If the Xfinity modem doesn't actually support 5 ghz... am I really getting 5 ghz from the Apple routers... even though I have two separate networks (one 2.4 ghz and one 5 ghz) in the AirPort Utility on my MacBook Pro? I am not a real tech person so don't have any in-depth understanding of this.

The reason I ask is because Comcast wants me to turn in my current modem in exchange for their new one that supports both 2.4 and 5 ghz wi-fi networks. Does it really make any difference if I am pushing wi-fi through an ethernet cable on the modem to my AirPort Extreme 2?

Thanks in advance for any clarity you can bring to my less than stellar knowledge in this area....

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Good morning,

I have a FIOS modem (Verizon) and disabled the wifi in it. My AirPort Extreme is connected to the ethernet port and that's what I get the wifi from in my home. I use the 5ghz speed and it does work quite well. I'm sure you can do the same with your Comcast/XFINITY modem... there should be a way to disable wifi in your modem settings but not totally necessary, just set your devices to use the network setup on the AirPort.

wezra

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
Good morning,

I have a FIOS modem (Verizon) and disabled the wifi in it. My AirPort Extreme is connected to the ethernet port and that's what I get the wifi from in my home. I use the 5ghz speed and it does work quite well. I'm sure you can do the same with your Comcast/XFINITY modem... there should be a way to disable wifi in your modem settings but not totally necessary, just set your devices to use the network setup on the AirPort.

So if I understand this correctly.... by running the internet signal from the Xfinity modem to the AirPort Extreme via the ethernet port on the modem the AirPort Extreme will (in some way) broadcast a true 5 ghz signal. That being the case, then I won't change out the modem as it is operating just fine. I'm not sure what advantage changing out the modem would give me... other than just a newer modem.

In my case I have to call Xfinity and they can disable the wi-fi that's in the modem from their end. Thanks very much for your input...its very helpful and validates what I was thinking, but didn't really know to be fact.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
So if I understand this correctly.... by running the internet signal from the Xfinity modem to the AirPort Extreme via the ethernet port on the modem the AirPort Extreme will (in some way) broadcast a true 5 ghz signal. That being the case, then I won't change out the modem as it is operating just fine. I'm not sure what advantage changing out the modem would give me... other than just a newer modem.

In my case I have to call Xfinity and they can disable the wi-fi that's in the modem from their end. Thanks very much for your input...its very helpful and validates what I was thinking, but didn't really know to be fact.

You may be able to adjust the wifi output of the modem using the http://192.168.1.1 trick but not sure if it's possible with xfinity. Truth is you don't really need to disable the wifi, just have your devices connect to the Airport wifi, not the xfinity. Don't have them turn off the wifi unless there's anything you need to use it for.

wezra

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
You may be able to adjust the wifi output of the modem using the http://192.168.1.1 trick but not sure if it's possible with xfinity. Truth is you don't really need to disable the wifi, just have your devices connect to the Airport wifi, not the xfinity. Don't have them turn off the wifi unless there's anything you need to use it for.

It's interesting.... I took back the "new" modem to the Xfinity store and one of the Techs there was a bit upset that the Associate had informed me that "I needed to replace my modem as it is too old and doesn't support 5 ghz". He said that since I am using my own wi-fi network in the house and pushing it to the AirPort via the modem's ethernet port, there was absolutely no need for me to change modems. As you suggest.... the AirPort will split the 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz signals and set up two separate networks in the house. Although a bit frustrating, it was a good learning experience for me. I will keep the "old" Xfinity modem and move on!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73