WOW what a mess iOS 4

Airbrushkid

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Well like a lot of you I updated my 3G. What a mistake that was. Took hours and hours. End up restoring it. I had to delete the .ipsw file. By doing that I was able to restore. I am running iOS 4 but cannot sync. itunes locks up. Cannot get my music from itunes onto my phone. This really sucks.

I know it's early but is there a fix? How can I go back to 3.1.3?

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Sucks to be you, but yes you can go back to 3.1.3. However you will be stuck on the latest modem fimrware, which is 5.something.13. First you need to find the 3.1.3 .ispw for your model. You will also have to restore it from scratch. You will need to get your phone into DFU mode and if it fails, which is highly likely, you will need to use irecovery to get it up and running.

It's easier than it sounds.

theSchwill

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
do a search for "downgrade iphone 3.1.3 from ios 4"

There's a ton of helpfull articles on how to downgrade, some with pictures and links to the utilities that can help

ferraristef

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Not sure why many users are having a hard time with 4.0. Last night when i did the upgrade to my 3g S 32gb from start to finish including backup and the download for 4.0 was only 17 min... and my iPhone runs really smooth, no problems. I also find that my battery life is MUCH better than 3.1.3.

Stef

JohnH59

Dec 19, 2004
Visit site
Not sure why many users are having a hard time with 4.0. Last night when i did the upgrade to my 3g S 32gb from start to finish including backup and the download for 4.0 was only 17 min... and my iPhone runs really smooth, no problems. I also find that my battery life is MUCH better than 3.1.3.

Stef

I've been wondering this same thing. On my 32Gb 3GS, I went from Jailbroken 3.1.3 to 4.0 GM to 4.0 Release. Everything went smooth and everything seems to be working okay, apps and hardware. What could be different for those that had, or are having problems?

slalomskie

Jan 29, 2009
Visit site
I did not have any problems except it takes 1 hour for my phone to back up. 3gs 16 gig. Mine is not jailbroken either. It took that long every time I back it up even without the 4.0 roll out.

capeharleyguy

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
Wow! My head is spinning after reading 100 pages of problems and only 1 positive download on every other page! I am hesitant in doing the upgrade on my iphone 3Gs 16gb! Maybe I'll wait for 4.1!?! lol

lungho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Wow! My head is spinning after reading 100 pages of problems and only 1 positive download on every other page! I am hesitant in doing the upgrade on my iphone 3Gs 16gb! Maybe I'll wait for 4.1!?! lol

Well the basic statistic missing from all these threads is if the person upgraded from a jailbroken device instead of a non-jailbroken device. If you are jailbroken, it is recommended that restore as a new phone before you attempt to install 4.0. I can only wonder how many problems there has been as a result of people not following directions.

JohnH59

Dec 19, 2004
Visit site
Well the basic statistic missing from all these threads is if the person upgraded from a jailbroken device instead of a non-jailbroken device. If you are jailbroken, it is recommended that restore as a new phone before you attempt to install 4.0. I can only wonder how many problems there has been as a result of people not following directions.

I did go from JB 3.1.3 to 4.0GM to 4.0 Release, but, each time I did use the Restore. The first time to get GM on the device, I used shift+Restore tok find the GM file on my computer. To get to the final release, I clicked restore. I then restored from backup to get all apps and settings back. And, as I stated earlier, I had no problems and all is well.

So, I think you may be correct about JB's not using the Restore button to get the update.

lungho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
I did go from JB 3.1.3 to 4.0GM to 4.0 Release, but, each time I did use the Restore. The first time to get GM on the device, I used shift+Restore tok find the GM file on my computer. To get to the final release, I clicked restore. I then restored from backup to get all apps and settings back. And, as I stated earlier, I had no problems and all is well.

That is the exact same procedure I used and I didn't have any problems either.

pilotnh

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site

Not necessary. I was 3.1.2 jailbroken with blackra1n many months ago and did a simple upgrade and had no problems at all with the upgrade. There was a Google sync issue but that was a coincidence and had nothing to do with the upgrade. Google resumed full service and sync processes in the past hour.

A big part of people's problem was the very long time for backup of their iPhone. Mine took about 5 hours but I did the backup in the morning BEFORE iOS4 was released. The upgrade itself took about 20 minutes or so.

I miss some stuff from my jailbreak (true multitasking with backgrounder and proswitcher; SBSettings) but will be without this by Thursday anyway when I pick up my new phone.

chippy19977

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site

So, I think you may be correct about JB's not using the Restore button to get the update.

I've tried this several times since yesterday and once I start downloading 4.0, it says it's going to take 2+ hours to just download. Screw that! I'll just stay on the 4.0 GM seed for now. Anything more than 15 minutes to download is useless.

S

stphnman20

I have a 3G and it only took me about 20min.. But iOS4 makes my phone super slow!!! like damn!

Smlk

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I have the 3GS 32g and the update was so fast and easy! Less than 10 mins ( I had backed up already per Alli's advice in posts earlier) and it was really easy. I am not JB though. I don't know how that might have affected it

Geoff

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
The only reason that I'd go back is that my 3G is SLOW...Trying to learn to live with it...until I can get a new iPhone that is!

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
hard to say

it's going to be hard to say why people are having problems there are so many variables and combinations of things that affect the outcome. Is it 3G or 3Gs? is it JB or not? what JB pwnage tool, blackra1n, Spirit,etc. if JB how customized was the phone? Mac or Windows? Which OS 3.1.2,3.1.3? and on and on. All I can say is mine was on iOS 4 in about 10mins that's downloading to complete I was surprised at how fast it was. I have a 3G and I was JB on 3.1.2 using pwnage tool which I always used since 1.x and I just did a sync, did a backup, hit restore and that started the upgrade to iOS 4. After I restored from backup and I was ready to rock and roll.

lucasite

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I have a 3G and it only took me about 20min.. But iOS4 makes my phone super slow!!! like damn!
Mine aswell. Ive had ios 4 running on my 3G for 24 hours now and damn its so slow and laggy. Like pressing home to unlock the phone and getting a second or two delay, typing in pin and not seeing the dots for 2 or 3 seconds.

Seriously considering downgrading right now.

londontaximan

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
hello all, my first post on this forum.
i foolishly synced the os4 into my 3g and have lost my contacts.....disaste!! any advice?
everything else seems fine. restore option terrifies me as theres a possibility they will be lost forever

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW