Would you recommend CarPlay to a friend?

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Now that I've been a CarPlay user for a few months, think I have a solid base of knowledge to recommend it... with the right hardware of course! Overall my experience has been solid, it just works... and YES, I'd recommend CarPlay to any iPhone owner.

CarPlay does seem very basic however, and I hope Apple pushes things along faster than the current pace. Compared to other built-in systems I've used (some proprietary, others not Android Auto, etc), CarPlay does the job.

If you're looking for ease of use and a solid iPhone-centric experience, CarPlay is the call. If you need something a bit more powerful, and perhaps DON'T use an iPhone, so many options out there worth looking at.

Just my two cents. What do you think?

comiken205

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
Is Car Play enabled automatically? I just bought a new car, nothing fancy, but I can control my iPhone with the radio display. Is that it?

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm honestly not very knowledgable of what CarPlay does exactly? I don't have CarPlay but my iPhone pairs via bluetooth and plays music and handles my phone calls. I can also make calls from the car as well. What additionally does CarPlay offer, out of curiosity?

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Car Play is certain apps that are used and displayed in the radios head unit.
CarPlay — Everything you need to know! | iMore

You will see a familiar interface, but it's mostly IMO basic which lacks features and stuff you would expect a iPhone to have on Car Play. Celndar, etc.

Is Car Play enabled automatically? I just bought a new car, nothing fancy, but I can control my iPhone with the radio display. Is that it?

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Car Play is a full-on automobile integration for Apple's Maps and turn-by-turn navigation, Phone, iMessage, and Music services — including additional apps like Podcasts, Beats Radio, iHeartRadio, Spotify, and Stitcher.

Your iPhone must be plugged in via USB that connects to the radio head unit. Most 2015-2016 and up have a port to plug the Apple cord into. But after market units you will need to run the cord to the radio in the back of the unit.

Once plugged in, yes the unit will switch over to Car Play, displaying the interface. Once unplugged the display will return to the native radio, BT, etc screen.

I'm honestly not very knowledgable of what CarPlay does exactly? I don't have CarPlay but my iPhone pairs via bluetooth and plays music and handles my phone calls. I can also make calls from the car as well. What additionally does CarPlay offer, out of curiosity?

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Car Play is a full-on automobile integration for Apple's Maps and turn-by-turn navigation, Phone, iMessage, and Music services — including additional apps like Podcasts, Beats Radio, iHeartRadio, Spotify, and Stitcher.

Your iPhone must be plugged in via USB that connects to the radio head unit. Most 2015-2016 and up have a port to plug the Apple cord into. But after market units you will need to run the cord to the radio in the back of the unit.

Once plugged in, yes the unit will switch over to Car Play, displaying the interface. Once unplugged the display will return to the native radio, BT, etc screen.

Ah ok ok. Thanks!

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
A friend of mine has a car with CarPlay in his car. Initially him and I did not know this, I just plugged in to charge my car and suddenly CarPlay appeared.

From what I have seen is that it has a lot of potential to set the standard for future car-units.
Let's just hope Apple and app developers see this potential too.
Also, I hope law-makers won't suffocate these developments with redundant, no sense making rules and limitations.

AustinIllini

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Carplay is great. Much better than any car manufacturer's setup. Heck, my car doesn't even have Nav, but I don't need it because Apple Maps launches as part of carplay.

Fable

Feb 11, 2016
Visit site
CarPlay for the messaging alone is a reason to get it on your vehicle. It works in the background and allows you to handsfree listen and respond to text messaging.

In my vehicle, I do a short press on the mic button on the steering wheel for BMW Voice commands or a long hold for SIRI. So I can kind of control which applications I am looking to run. If I am only messaging it will return to whatever app I was running previously when done.

All and all - it is a solid offering that anyone that plans to remain on the iphone should not pass up on their daily driver / long trip vehicle.

It's far from perfect and doesn't yet seem as stylish as I would hope but on a new car it should offer wireless integration and that is another bonus.

Most car manufacturers throw Apple CarPlay in but some of them - like BMW - charge you above and beyond for the service (300.00) even after requiring the Nav package.

Honestly - I would recommend it to any iPhone user on a newer vehicle - but Apple has a lot of catching up to do if they ever want to be able to integrate with Ford Sync 3, BMW Connected, etc.. I like having the option - I love the messaging - I love the wireless connection - but it still hasn't evolved for me to the point that it is a must have (although I would argue if you are one of those people who has to look at a text - its a lifesaver).

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
You're right, it's worth it for the messaging app alone. Works great (generally) and keeps your eyes on the road and hands on the wheel. Very important.

I'm excited to see where things go for CarPlay in 2017.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal