Worth Finally Updating to iOS 10.2?

metalchick719

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Well, I've been holding off against updating to iOS 10.2 all this time. I was wondering how other iPhone 6s owners are faring with it on their phones at this point? My mom also has a 5s that hasn't been updated to 10.2. I've reading nightmare stories of battery life taking a huge nosedive, plus other problems. Should I update (and should my mom update her 5s), or is it better to just wait until iOS 10.2.1 or 10.3 is official?

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I updated when it was first released, and do not regret it. My battery life was a bit wonky at first, but it seems to have stabilized.

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
I feel the same as you, so I'm going to watch this thread. I remember updating to 10.0.1 and it came with so many issues for my SE, including fast battery drain and signal issues. I downgraded back to iOS 9 very quickly and I have stayed there since September.

metalchick719

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the replies! Okay, I think I will probably update my 6s to iOS 10.2 either later today or tomorrow. Hmm... I might have my mom continue to hold off from updating her 5s for now.

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the replies! Okay, I think I will probably update my 6s to iOS 10.2 either later today or tomorrow.

I was holding onto 10.1 for the slight possibility of wanting to see if jailbreak could be done (I do not want JB as much as I used to though, but just a possibility.... :).
Then one night, when I woke up, sneaky Apple "automatically" updated to 10.2, and this was after they signed off 10.1. so I could not returned to it. I was very careful not to update the OS before knowing reactions by folks, and never set up update of OS.
This was the first time I experienced this "thief in the night". Usually, the alert pops up, urging to update the OS, but I had a choice to dismiss it. Now things must have changed and Apple has an upper hand. They should not be able to override users' desire :-(.
Now I make sure that auto update is unchecked and removed already downloaded software.

metalchick719

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
I was holding onto 10.1 for the slight possibility of wanting to see if jailbreak could be done (I do not want JB as much as I used to though, but just a possibility.... :).
Then one night, when I woke up, sneaky Apple "automatically" updated to 10.2, and this was after they signed off 10.1. so I could not returned to it. I was very careful not to update the OS before knowing reactions by folks, and never set up update of OS.
This was the first time I experienced this "thief in the night". Usually, the alert pops up, urging to update the OS, but I had a choice to dismiss it. Now things must have changed and Apple has an upper hand. They should not be able to override users' desire :-(.
Now I make sure that auto update is unchecked and removed already downloaded software.

Whoa... That sucks. I've never auto updated. My mom kind of freaked out a few days back when the popup alert for 10.2 came back up on her iPhone 5s. I just hit "Later" and then deleted the update under Storage and iCloud usage. I was hesitant for the longest time to update my iPad mini 2 (I got it with iOS 9.2 installed back in June), but I finally updated it back in December. All is well on that end.

Yeah, that popup alert is seriously annoying. I also hate having the intrusive red 1 on my Settings app.

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site

I think they started a thing where if your phone is plugged to power in off hours, it will update if you don't hit remind me later.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I think they started a thing where if your phone is plugged to power in off hours, it will update if you don't hit remind me later.

Where does it say this will happen? Do you have a link. I'm on 10.1.1 and want to stay there for now. Never heard of an OS updating on its own. It does download on its own on the beta. But it just sits there. I have to keep deleting it from settings > Usage. But it doesn't install.

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site

Yes that's what's happening. Even if you dismissed the alert ("later" etc), if you plugged it in (presumably for avoiding battery drain by OTA installation), OS will still be automatically updated. I read somewhere that this "thief in the night" usually does its work between 2 and 4am or something! Despite that I always unchecked automatic update.
Too sneaky. I do not like it at all.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Yes that's what's happening. Even if you dismissed the alert ("later" etc), if you plugged it in (presumably for avoiding battery drain by OTA installation), OS will still be automatically updated. I read somewhere that this "thief in the night" usually does its work between 2 and 4am or something! Despite that I always unchecked automatic update.
Too sneaky. I do not like it at all.

The alert pop up offers the option to not update. If you tap on that to not do it, then it shows the passcode pad. On that, you have to tap the option not to update again.

metalchick719

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Hmm... Now I'm thinking of just sticking with iOS 10.1.1 for the time being. I keep flip flopping on this, I know. Maybe it's better to wait for iOS 10.3 when it's out(??).

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Where does it say this will happen? Do you have a link. I'm on 10.1.1 and want to stay there for now. Never heard of an OS updating on its own. It does download on its own on the beta. But it just sits there. I have to keep deleting it from settings > Usage. But it doesn't install.

I can confirm this is happening. My sons iPhone 7 updated and installed to 10.2 overnight while his phone was charging.

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Hmm... Now I'm thinking of just sticking with iOS 10.1.1 for the time being. I keep flip flopping on this, I know. Maybe it's better to wait for iOS 10.3 when it's out(??).

I heard about the battery issues and others and was sticking with iOS 10.1.1. I finally decided to update to 10.2 a couple weeks ago and I haven't had any problems. No battery drain and it runs very smooth.