worse experience with apple and Apple ID recovery

theKHMERboy

May 12, 2013
Visit site
putting in the wrong password or having to reset your password on Apple ID. had to contact apple and do every verification and procedure that they ask so that you can reset your password and it could take up to 24 hours SO I WAS TOLD. so tell how after all that it say I have to wait 14 days and I can reset my password after the 14 days. what kind of procedure is that? when you talk to them they will say oh its for security and safety measure. well thats pretty misleading cause I dont feel secure or safe to be locked out of my Apple ID and cant even reset my password until 14 days later. from that experience I can see how much they actually care apple their customers

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Nice rant.
I’m sorry to hear that you’ve somehow lost your password. Or that some kind of misunderstanding got you locked out of your account.

But, and I mean this not in a mean way, if above is any indication, you must have sounded quite chaotic on the phone with Apple Support. In that light, you shouldn’t be surprised that Apple is erring on the safe side.
I hope all gets sorted out soon for you.

theKHMERboy

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Nice rant.
I’m sorry to hear that you’ve somehow lost your password. Or that some kind of misunderstanding got you locked out of your account.

But, and I mean this not in a mean way, if above is any indication, you must have sounded quite chaotic on the phone with Apple Support. In that light, you shouldn’t be surprised that Apple is erring on the safe side.
I hope all gets sorted out soon for you.

Well then apple should not have customer do all these verification and tell them it should only be 24 hours then say you can’t reset your password until 14 days later. Of course would make me and probably a lot others upset if this happened to them

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Well then apple should not have customer do all these verification and tell them it should only be 24 hours then say you can’t reset your password until 14 days later. Of course would make me and probably a lot others upset if this happened to them

Did you not have your Apple ID email and security questions set up?

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
putting in the wrong password or having to reset your password on Apple ID. had to contact apple and do every verification and procedure that they ask so that you can reset your password and it could take up to 24 hours SO I WAS TOLD. so tell how after all that it say I have to wait 14 days and I can reset my password after the 14 days. what kind of procedure is that? when you talk to them they will say oh its for security and safety measure. well thats pretty misleading cause I dont feel secure or safe to be locked out of my Apple ID and cant even reset my password until 14 days later. from that experience I can see how much they actually care apple their customers

To expand on Tartarus well stated post, there is a very important rule: Your AppleID password must be known, remain known, not mixed up or confused. But ok, it still can happen so as a backup you can setup trusted numbers/trusted devices. This is the backup plan that gives you your quick access. Don't remember the password and didn't setup any of the trust methods? There is a backup for that but it is a purposefully slow process where Apple's confirmation process includes a wait time.
AppleID credentials are essentially the keys to your Apple kingdom (that is a kingdom of over 1 billion people). it is a potential trove of data about you and it is vulnerable to someone obtaining your AppleID credentials. So Apple doesn't make it easy for someone to say "I forgot, I'm confused, give me a new password right now". The convenience you demand is my lack of security on way too much personal data to even list. The good news is the chances of being phished are incredibly low because bad actor saying "I forgot my password but this is me, I need my password reset right now" will get you, at minimum, a waiting period.
Best of luck...

Honey Beagle

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
To expand on Tartarus well stated post, there is a very important rule: Your AppleID password must be known, remain known, not mixed up or confused. But ok, it still can happen so as a backup you can setup trusted numbers/trusted devices. This is the backup plan that gives you your quick access. Don't remember the password and didn't setup any of the trust methods? There is a backup for that but it is a purposefully slow process where Apple's confirmation process includes a wait time.
AppleID credentials are essentially the keys to your Apple kingdom (that is a kingdom of over 1 billion people). it is a potential trove of data about you and it is vulnerable to someone obtaining your AppleID credentials. So Apple doesn't make it easy for someone to say "I forgot, I'm confused, give me a new password right now". The convenience you demand is my lack of security on way too much personal data to even list. The good news is the chances of being phished are incredibly low because bad actor saying "I forgot my password but this is me, I need my password reset right now" will get you, at minimum, a waiting period.
Best of luck...

That is why I write all my passwords down when I creat them and as soon as i change a password I write that down as well.

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
That is why I write all my passwords down when I creat them and as soon as i change a password I write that down as well.

Good idea Honey Beagle, actually writing them down on physical paper then securing it locally in your home. That makes it impossible for internet bad guys to get access. That’s where 99.9999% of password theft will comes from.
I keep a file in Notes for a few critical passwords like my AppleID (I let keychain handle the rest). A file on my device is Not ideal security but I only record the 3 hints that remind me of the 3 elements of my password. I do not record the actual password.

Reactions: Annie_M

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
... but I only record the 3 hints that remind me of the 3 elements of my password. I do not record the actual password.

That's a great idea! I don't write them down, but I have them stored in various places. Using your method would make that even more secure!

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
This is why I wrote down my Apple recovery key and threw it in my safe in case something like this happens.

I also write down my passwords and keep it in the safe as well.

Mr.Willie

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
I don’t understand why everyone doesn’t use Bitwarden. My wife and I have an enterprise account and it cost us zero dollars a month because we are two users.

We can access each other’s accounts, give obscure 10 Minute Email addresses for usernames for accounts that shouldn’t require interactions, and access accounts from any computer, keychain not required.

Basically what I’m saying is, “USE A BLANKETY BLANK PASSWORD MANAGER!!!!”

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I don’t understand why everyone doesn’t use Bitwarden. My wife and I have an enterprise account and it cost us zero dollars a month because we are two users.

We can access each other’s accounts, give obscure 10 Minute Email addresses for usernames for accounts that shouldn’t require interactions, and access accounts from any computer, keychain not required.

Nope. I rely on iCloud Keychain for passwords.
I’m not gonna let some obscure third party manage my passwords, how noble their intention are.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I’m not gonna let some obscure third party manage my passwords, how noble their intention are.

I get the convenience of password managers and have considered using one, yet I worry about potential security breaches. You know what they say about putting all your eggs in one basket.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site

The lost password experience is a very hard one to nail down correctly. For services that host critical or sensitive bits of information, it's compromise between data protection and user experience.

Like several others, I do think that a 14-day wait time is fairly reasonable considering the type of information that's tied to your Apple ID, like other website access tokens (aka single sign-on), files, mail, photos, iPhone backups, etc.

Don't forget that other actors might also attempt to have your password reset. So that 14-day window is a moderating ticket rendering an actor who wishes to quickly gain access to your account give up. :)

I use 1Password for most of my passwords, including my very long (I think 40 character) Apple ID password.

While I do encourage people around me to use a password manager, I won't shove it down their throats. As long as they use unique and complex (16+ non-sensical characters) passwords for every service they have, it's usually sufficient; obviously, after the usual post-it speech.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Another 1Password user here. No issues or concerns so far.

And even if they got compromised, almost every site I use has 2FA enabled.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Count me in among those who use and have used 1Password for a long time. I have everything in there. I also use iCloud Keychain. In a safe, I have the password to gain access to my devices and certain important account information.

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site

It was only since Apple Silicon did I become an all Apple user (Windows only for work but what I use personally never intersects on my work laptop). Keychain makes life very easy now (though I have a few suggestions for improvements). MacBook-Ipad-Iphone, it's everything I use to browse websites and use apps. Passwords are nearly a thing of the past for me.
Some people look at me strange when I tell them "I don't know most of my passwords, I don't need to know them". There are still a lot of people who don't know of or use Keychain or 1password. And my experience is they tend to reuse the same password. This is NOT good..

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
That's a great idea! I don't write them down, but I have them stored in various places. Using your method would make that even more secure!

For me, I use unique life experiences that no virtually no one would know. A standout memory from high school or college, a favorite restaurant experience, something from a favorite bookquote or character. In my password hints I'll use something like red vis1t fo0d X. I put fluff words in. I know right away the 2 hint words that indicate the real password hint, but almost zero chance if the file was copied could it be deciphered.
Something else I do, those Questions like mother's maiden name or name of a pet? I'll use my paternal or maternal grandmother's maiden name or the name of an pet/animal from a favorite book or movie.
I think some would believe it to be overboard. Maybe :). But as a server admin, the hell caused by the admin password being obtained makes going the extra mile for security seem like nothing.

Honey Beagle

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Good idea Honey Beagle, actually writing them down on physical paper then securing it locally in your home. That makes it impossible for internet bad guys to get access. That’s where 99.9999% of password theft will comes from.
I keep a file in Notes for a few critical passwords like my AppleID (I let keychain handle the rest). A file on my device is Not ideal security but I only record the 3 hints that remind me of the 3 elements of my password. I do not record the actual password.

I remember forgetting me I iPhone and iPad iTunes passwords. Wanted to restore a device. But, eventually remember the passwords.

I have a friend that uses the same password for every account him has. That I would never do.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods