Won’t update

rikka the conure

Feb 15, 2022
Visit site
I have this second hand iPhone, and changed it to my apple ID. There’s a game i was already playing that is connected to the previous owners ID, and I keep trying to update it. It’s saying that their password is incorrect even though it was downloaded through their ID, and it’s not letting me update it through my account either. Is there a way to update it without having to re download it? Losing my progress is not an option but it won’t let me continue without an update

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Hello and welcome to iMore! I’m sorry you’re having issues. I think your best option would be to contact Apple Support.

Honey Beagle

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
I would keep your ID on the phone and start a new game.

I would not want someone’s old ID on a phone I am using.

The person who sold you the phone should have restored that to erase the phone to factory settings.

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
I second Honey Beagle’s recommendation as the minimum action. Keep your AppleID on the phone and download the app under your AppleID (start a new game).

What happened here is very uncommon (or I assume it is). You buying a secondhand iPhone that has not been erased? That should never happen. An iphone is erased for privacy and data protection of thr previous user and the new user. It gives you an iPhone that you know is clean of a number of things (including spy/malware).
Hopefully this was a close trusted friend or family member that sold you the phone. Regardless,
you should seriously consider erasing the phone and start completely over. And if you got this phone from an online reseller or someone you don’t know? I move my recommendation up from “seriously consider” erasing it to “you MUST erase it”.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have this second hand iPhone, and changed it to my apple ID. There’s a game i was already playing that is connected to the previous owners ID, and I keep trying to update it. It’s saying that their password is incorrect even though it was downloaded through their ID, and it’s not letting me update it through my account either. Is there a way to update it without having to re download it? Losing my progress is not an option but it won’t let me continue without an update
You can only update it if you are logged in with the Apple ID that was used when it was initially installed.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen