Women: 38mm or 42mm?

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
To all the female members out there! Do you prefer the 38mm or 42mm Apple Watch? Which one do you own? And why did you choose it? We have a similar thread started up for men, curious to see the comparison!!

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
The 42s have it! It's interesting to see that the larger Watches are preferred. It's a small data pool but I expected maybe 50/50 at most.

It's a stroke of brilliant marketing not to engender the sizes. I haven't seen any men wearing a 38 (not a .38) but I haven't heard anybody outside of an occasional forum comment refer to these as 'men's' or 'women's' watches. I like that.

DarlaMack

Apple TV Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I went with the 38mm. I do have large wrists and unfortunately the only bands that accommodate that for me is the Sport. I have the classic leather but had to have another hole added. Lol but the 42 was just too big of a clunker to have on my wrist.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Answering for my wife the no forum or social media chat person. She tried both and chose 42 because it was superior for the watch being an information machine and for reading the screens during activity apps while doing them.

On looking feminine, she got gold with cocoa strap and also uses the white strap my watch came with.

FWIW: One of our kids got 38 because the physical size was closer to watches he's had but it exchanged it for the larger size for same reasons my wife chose it.

We all like the larger size for "scribble".

I realize people have many different life styles and activities to our family all going for 42 might not apply to all.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
imwjl said:
On looking feminine, she got gold with cocoa strap and also uses the white strap my watch came with.

LOL, that looks good on men, too. Gold/Brown is a common combo seen in a lot of mens watches.

The Marketing of Apple Watches along with having only one shape for the two size, has got me away from applying gender to any aspect of the Watches.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
LOL, that looks good on men, too. Gold/Brown is a common combo seen in a lot of mens watches.

The Marketing of Apple Watches along with having only one shape for the two size, has got me away from applying gender to any aspect of the Watches.

Maybe "looking less industrial" would have been a better description.

Most do not look gender-specific but an associate has pink 38 mm w pink strap and that really does look feminine to me.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Most do not look gender-specific but an associate has pink 38 mm w pink strap and that really does look feminine to me.

Same here, but that's one of the very few colors that do that for me. Something about the yellow/blue Woven Nylon band strikes me the same way.

Some might say the same about the Turquoise and Azure bands, and maybe a couple of others, but I like pastels. I've got the Turquoise and Mint, and I'll get the Azure.

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
42mm... I like big watches ....

Me too. Tried a 38 and it was way too small. And that is even with small wrists.

I own over 50 watches, and with the exceptions of 4 (a dress Seiko and 3 Swatch) every single one of the others is men's. I hate small watches.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
reeneebob said:
I hate small watches.

I know a few women who feel the same way. They all wear larger watches and they look just fine. There was a time when super tiny women's watches that could be covered with a nickel were popular. That was form leaving function fairly far behind.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR