Wireless charging????

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: Wireless charging

Reinventing the wheel, in my opinion, but I can't deny that it can be useful.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site

It's a long way away from being ready for prime time. Right now, I see it as a feature that Android will use to say they have a feature that iPhone doesn't offer. I don't want wireless charging until it's actually worth using. Apple will implement it when it's good.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

No_G

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site

Simple yet smart.

Do phones really need it or are the just reinventing the wheel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think phones need it. Wireless charging can be very handy at times. The places where I see wireless charging take off is in hotels, restaurants and businesses. I think it's going to be more of a convenience factor for us in the sense that we may start to choose going to certain places because they offer wireless charging mats that are built into the tables at the restaurant or the desk at the hotel. I think wireless charging is the direction that the industry is pointing.

lucky8919

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site

I think it's an useless feature. It only converts a cable into a charging platform. And its and slow charging method. :confused:

thatgirl87

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

Wireless charging is good for when you're away from home and don't have access to an outlet.

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
That seems to be the general view, it's a good feature to have on a phone but not for personal use, more for businesses to provide to users.

darth_furious

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site

I think it's an useless feature. It only converts a cable into a charging platform. And its and slow charging method. :confused:

have you ever used it? To be fair, you don't know how useful or useless until you tried it. I can't go back to wired charging after using it.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site

have you ever used it? To be fair, you don't know how useful or useless until you tried it. I can't go back to wired charging after using it.

I've used it in multiple forms and on multiple devices. It is slower than traditional charging methods. Its definitely noticeably slower than a wired charger, and even more so that using a rapid charger.

It's also not as convenient as it sounds. It's not like you can lay your phone down anywhere and charge it. You have a small spot you must place the device to charge. I find it less convenient that a wired charger because you have to lay the device down and can't use it while charging.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site

I have wireless charging for my Wii controllers. Absolutely worthless. First and foremost it is NOT wireless. You still need an outlet. You just don't plug what's being charged directly into the outlet. You also need a separate case that works with your charging pad. Until wireless charging is truly wireless, it's just a gimmick.

EauRouge

Trusted Member
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site

This is an iphone forum. the iphone doesn't have wireless charging yet. youre going to get "not useful/needed" etc.

Ultimately, its up to personal preference. 10 years from now I think that everything will have wireless charging

tgp

Trusted Member
Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

You said it! This is exactly my experience. I haven't plugged my phone in for a long time, probably a month or more. I'm looking forward to when iPhone implements wireless charging, and NFC. Availability in public will skyrocket.

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site

I've used it in multiple forms and on multiple devices. It is slower than traditional charging methods. Its definitely noticeably slower than a wired charger, and even more so that using a rapid charger.

It's also not as convenient as it sounds. It's not like you can lay your phone down anywhere and charge it. You have a small spot you must place the device to charge. I find it less convenient that a wired charger because you have to lay the device down and can't use it while charging.

From someone that has been using wireless charging for nearly a year, I personally think it is more convenient than traditional charging and would like to see it implemented more commercially in accessories, restaurants, hotels, waiting rooms etc. I have experienced similar charging times to when I use universal USB. I think it's nice being able to put the phone on the charger with one hand and with little aim, similar to older docks, but even easier. I also appreciate that it takes away from any potential damage to the hardware from day to day plug/unplug or accidental cord tugs. Not being able to hold the phone to the face could be looked at as a big flaw, but traditional docks are very popular and have the same downside. I personally use speaker phone whenever possible, so it's not a deal breaker for me.
I wouldn't call wireless charging a need, but a nice convenience (an improved wheel).

casab1anca

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site

Wireless charging is one of the few "gimmicks" that's actually useful. I have a Lumia 920 and use my wireless charger everyday at work, it's extremely convenient to be able to pick up your phone at any time, walk to a meeting or elsewhere, come back and place it back on the charging pad.

dukrem

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
I think the true value in wireless charging will only be realised if there is one universal standard. That way there is no need to find a charger specific for iphone/other phones, you just drop it on the charger and it works.

return_0

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
From the posts in this thread, it looks like the iPhone fanboys are brushing it off as a gimmick, and the people who have actually used it say it's very convenient and they can't go back to wired charging.

I think you know which answer makes more sense.

mrjspeed

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
From the posts in this thread, it looks like the iPhone fanboys are brushing it off as a gimmick, and the people who have actually used it say it's very convenient and they can't go back to wired charging.

I had a Palm Pre and currently use an HP Touchpad with Touchstone. For the most part, I feel it is a gimmick. Using a case with the device, while still allowing a charge, impedes the charging speed. Also, it can be picky on the orientation you place it. I haven't used the more recent Nokia implementations though...

I do think the argument that "it isn't wireless, it still needs to be plugged into the wall" is weak. Power needs to come from some source and that source needs to be plugged into something. I think the best solution in the future would be a standard where counter tops and night stands can have most of their surface augmented with it. You can place your device in any position and any orientation - not giving charging a second thought. That would be ideal, but it is years away.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site

Troll much?

Back on topic

I have an iPhone 5, A Samsung Galaxy S2 and a brand new HTC One so i am neither an Fandroid nor an isheep (or maybe i'm both). I have used wireless charging on my old work phone and found it to be a bit sluggish. It was incredibly convenient though as you could just drop the phone on the pad overnight, forget about it and pick it up the next morning charged. The issue I had was the pad was relatively big compared to my nightstand so it wasn't that convenient. The above suggestion that we could adapt a wireless charging station into a bedside light, clock or somesuch is an excellent idea but I do agree we are years away from that at the moment.

ashykat

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
I originally thought it was just a gimmick, but when I got a Palm Pre and a Touchstone I was actually very surprised at how handy it was. There was no fumbling around for a cord behind a nightstand, wear and tear on ports, etc. I ended up getting a few of them and had one in my car; the magnets held it on quite securely so I never had it fall off. It just made something as simple as charging that much more enjoyable. Clearly it's not a huge revolution as inductive charging has been around in other forms for years (ever used an electric toothbrush?), but once you try it it's hard to go back to plugging in a cable, and ridiculous as that may sound to someone who has never used it. Now I will agree that this convenience is only useful in my opinion if it's already built into the phone, because I don't want to add a bulky case just for the sake of charging it, but I think it's a nicety.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73