Wiping the daughters iPhone 5 via restore keeps her old details upon boot up

Villordsutch

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Hello can anyone please help me on this?

My eldest daughter has recently updated her phone and given us her "broken" iPhone 5. After I replaced the battery and swore at the tiny screws it's now working fine. However after doing the restore option with the cable and iTunes - which YouTube swears is how you get a fresh iPhone - I keep on being greeted with.

"Activation Lock. This phone is linked to an Apple ID. Enter the Apple ID and Password that were used to set up this phone."

Below that is my eldests old email address, which she has discovered - from Apple - is currently in "recovery mode" and will take two "working days" to be investigated; this was after they spent over an hour on the phone with her and messed up the access on her Mac.

All I want to do is wipe it [the iPhone 5] clean so my middle daughter can use the phone! We're using the same carrier as the SIM and she even has an iTunes account too with apps bought for her iPod and cash sat on the account so Apple will be seeing money being spent.

Does anyone know why the Apple Activation Lock is still hanging around like a bad smell even after the restore option is used via iTunes and can I do anything to remove this?

Why do they make it so hard!?

Thank you

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The activation lock is for the protection of the owner of the device. It is in place so that a thief or unauthorized personnel cannot use the device as his or her own. That's a good thing. With that in mind, the device is indeed wiped, but also still protected. In the past, all a thief or unauthorized user had to do was restore the device to take it over. That is no longer the case, thankfully. Now, since you've been prompted to enter the passcode for the iCloud account the device is associated with, contact your eldest daughter and have her give it to you so that you can bypass the activation lock. It's really that simple. After the two days have passed, enter the passcode associated with the iCloud account the device is locked to.

Villordsutch

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
The daughters contacted Apple, as unfortunately she can't recall the passcode, unfortunately its also connected to her Mac (so she tells me) so she's now locked out of that too.

:(

Parp!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice