Windows Mobile to iPhone

slooksterpsv

Sep 9, 2017
Visit site
Hello Everyone,

I'm a semi-active user on the Windows Central forum and have recently shifted from Windows 10 Mobile to iPhone. Windows 10 was an incredible journey, but with the mobile platform being up in the air, it was time to switch. Android has a huge fragmentation issue that leaves users at risk for security issues.

So yesterday (well Thursday forgot its early in the AM), I switched from a Lumia 650 (love it, still do) to an iPhone SE 64GB through my carrier. I'm really shocked at how powerful such a small phone can be. It is going to be my daily driver for school, music, and work. Let me start off with a bit of history about my phone usage:

Back when the Moto Q9h was offered, I purchased it, but found I had to return it due to issues with the phone freezing and crashing. I jumped to a Blackberry 8330 (this is around 2008/2009-ish). From the BlackBerry I hopped onto the Android bandwagon and had one until 2011 when I switched carriers and received a Lumia 822. I dropped it for a Droid Razr M and continued from there. After the Razr M I switched to a Lumia 521 and loved it, then back to various different Blu Android phones. I then went to a Blu Windows Mobile phone then to an Alcatel One Touch Fierce XL (last year). 6 months ago I switched carriers and received a Lumia 650 for free. Used it, went insider builds, all that fun stuff and the phone was great. Finally, when nothing seemed to be coming from Microsoft on the Windows Mobile platform, I knew it was time to switch. Instead of going to Android and with my recent education in computer forensics and security, I knew Android wasn't really where I wanted my data. I decided, lets try something new, an iPhone.

I used to be a Mac user back when they had the G3 and G4 macs. I originally had a Powerbook Lombard in 2004, then went to an iBook G3 (500MHz) to an iBook G4 1.33GHz, 2006. That lasted me through my first year of college then I went back to PC. (That was 2006/2007) Since then, I've been a PC/Linux user since, but looking to get back into the Mac realm of things to learn its mobile side of development.

Where I'm at now. I'm really really really enjoying the iPhone. Maybe its the amount of apps available, the seamless nature of usage (no offense, but it is very streamlined towards simple users), but it is seamless in the sense of it just... works. UI is consistent where I feel I could hop on another iDevice and know where to go for everything.

I'm hoping the SE is supported with iOS 11 that should be coming out soon (still not 100% what new features there are) and I'm looking for recommendations on Apps. I use Groove for music (3 month free trial so all the music I want for 3 months), Outlook for email (threading in Mail seemed confusing like the middle was where the newest thread was not the end or the beginning of the email message), and my college course items. What apps do you guys recommend? Any tips for a new iPhone convert? Finally, the earpods that came with my iPhone don't change volume or songs - so the buttons are moot on the earphones, is this common?

Thanks,

--Shawn

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Hello Shawn, welcome to iMore!
Thank you for sharing your story, I enjoyed reading it. As for apps, I would recommend checking out these: Airmail, TapaTalk (for forums), Todoist, Notability and GoodNotes (great for taking notes), Focus Keeper (to stay focus and study well), Apple Music (great integration and UI). Don’t be shy and feel free to post around the forum

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Hi! Welcome to iMore
Congrats on your new purchase, it’s hard not to like it.

I recommend Apple Music, Evernote, Snapseed, TapaTalk, Reebee.

As for your earpods, I’d get them replaced.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to iMore! The SE is, indeed, a nice phone. Don't hesitate to ask about any issues, features, tips, or anything related to the iPhone and iOS. You might try the iMore forums app, or if you follow several forums, try TapaTalk. Let us know what your interests are, and we'll suggest apps we like.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Where I'm at now. I'm really really really enjoying the iPhone. Maybe its the amount of apps available, the seamless nature of usage (no offense, but it is very streamlined towards simple users), but it is seamless in the sense of it just... works. UI is consistent where I feel I could hop on another iDevice and know where to go for everything.

Welcome to iMore! This is EXACTLY iOS. Apple chooses to focus on user experience and letting them handle the nitty gritty stuff in the background. Having control of both the hardware and the software helps them be very good at it. Does the end user give up some control? Sure, but I’ve grown very appreciative of that aspect of the ecosystem. I came from Android in 2010 and haven’t looked back.

Yes, iPhone SE will support iOS 11.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the iMore Forums and congratulations on getting your new iPhone....

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
Hey, your name looks very familiar! I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying iOS and your iPhone SE. It's a heck of a phone that some of us can't seem to break away from.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to iMore! Your story is fairly similar to my own except I just switched between Blackberry and Android before begrudgingly deciding to try iPhone and coins I loved it. As for apps, as other have said, Tapatalk for forums for sure. I use 1Password for passwords, it’s steep at $15 for mobile and $50 per desktop client, but I’ve found it worth it. I use Apple Music myself, $10/mo and all the music you want plus exclusive shows. I use Fantastical for a calendar, Spark and/or Timyo for email, Today Weather and Dark Sky for weather, Evernote and stock Notes app for different notation reasons, and Vert for conversions.

metalchick719

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Welcome! Great choice in going with the iPhone SE. I was also using Windows Phone before jumping (back) to iPhone. Never used Windows 10 Mobile, but I absolutely loved Windows Phone 8.1 and used the Nokia Lumia 810, 920 and 925 before returning to the iPhone with the iPhone 6s after over three years of exclusively using Windows Phone. Hope you're enjoying your SE. :)

slooksterpsv

Sep 9, 2017
Visit site
Thank you everyone especially for the app suggestions. The Tapatalk has been awesome especially where I travel a variety of tech forums.

It's been about 5 days with my SE and wow just wow. It's so fast even reboots don't take long. I can do so many more things especially for tools I use for school I'm really happy with it. I installed Pluralsight Duolingo some games downloaded all my books which is awesome (HumbleBundle epub sales). Everything is just working great. I'm excited for the 19th for iOS 11 mainly for the new control center.

:) such a difference from Windows Mobile - but I still do miss some aspects of it. The keyboard, live tiles and a few other items.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Thank you everyone especially for the app suggestions. The Tapatalk has been awesome especially where I travel a variety of tech forums.

It's been about 5 days with my SE and wow just wow. It's so fast even reboots don't take long. I can do so many more things especially for tools I use for school I'm really happy with it. I installed Pluralsight Duolingo some games downloaded all my books which is awesome (HumbleBundle epub sales). Everything is just working great. I'm excited for the 19th for iOS 11 mainly for the new control center.

:) such a difference from Windows Mobile - but I still do miss some aspects of it. The keyboard, live tiles and a few other items.

You’re very welcome!
iOS 11 is great

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Hello Shawn & Welcome to iMore Thanks so much for sharing your story with us. I really hope you enjoy your SE, as it is an amazing device. One of my favorite apps, which some have already mentioned, is Tapatalk. It helps keep all your forums in one place. Hope you enjoy iMore & post often

slooksterpsv

Sep 9, 2017
Visit site
It’s been almost 3 weeks and I’m finding I’m on my phone more than my PC. As odd as it sounds, I think there’s color and design theory coming into play for example, the muted colors on Windows 10 and the flat design seem to be tiring in the sense of nothing pops.

I’ve read a couple books on my phone and the night light function is great. The upgrade to iOS 11 went flawlessly and I’m using the Mail app. Not sure why the thread organization issue happened but it’s fixed now. Ive been using pages both on my phone and on iCloud as I like the layout. I ordered a mid 2009 MacBook to tread the waters of Mac OS X (granted it can only run El Capitan but that’s no problem)

My phone lasts all day except for a few heavy games. The photos and videos I can take are just amazing! This is the kind of experience I’m enjoying on a daily basis. I think what is really hitting me is that I’m not waiting for apps to load or resume. It’s just so fast I feel more productive on it. It’s amazing!