Will you be upgrading to iOS 11 on your iPad??

ShaunAFC3

Apr 30, 2016
Visit site
Believe it or not I am still on iOS 9.3.4, So I haven't downloaded iOS 11 on my iPad Air 2 because I really really worried if i do install iOS 10 or 11 it will definitely slow down my iPad which I definitely don't really want like the animations will be choppy, shuttering and the apps/games won't load as fast compared to on 9.3.4. I just don't want to take the risk as once you upgrade to a new version of iOS unfortunately you can't downgrade go back to a previous or older version of IOS...

So I am keeping my iPad Air 2 on iOS 9.3.4 forever even I would like to use the new iPad features like the new dock, new and improved multitasking and the new file manager. Anyway I definitely can wait and get to use those new iPad features when I get a new iPad in a year or 2 time. :D

So I am wondering iPad users will you be upgrading to the iOS 11 when it comes out this fall on your iPad?? Or will you staying on the current version of the iOS on your iPad?? Will you be using the new iPad features(new dock, new/improved multitasking and the new file manager) on your iPad?? :|

And should I upgrade to iOS 11 on my iPad Air 2?? Or should I keep it on iOS 9.3.4?? Because I don't really know if I should or not?? I just really worried that iOS 10 or 11 will definitely slow down my iPad Air 2 as I said in my post above..... :|

Ariel Babalao

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Your mind is set, your worries are real and clear. If you are satisfy with your current version, then you should definitely stay on it. As you stated, there is no going back to previous version once you upgrade.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
iOS 10 runs very smooth on my iPhone 5S and iPad Mini 2, both have the A7 processor. iOS 11 Public Beta 2 runs a little wonky on my iPad, but that is beta life. It is far from official release and Apple will most likely have those things worked out to smoothness upon official release. Just an FYI, I did a clean install of iOS 10.3 on those devices when I installed, because of the file system change to APFS, which I am sure made a big difference in performance and smoothness. I also plan to do a clean install of iOS 11 when it is officially released.

The iPad Air 2 has the Apple A8X processor. I think you should be alright with upgrading to iOS 10.3.3 and iOS 11, when available.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
To answer the thread question, Yes. In fact, my iPad Pro is already running iOS 11....:)

naddy6969

May 29, 2017
Visit site
The air 2 runs 10.3.2 just fine. It is not underpowered at all, having a 3 core A8X.

As for iOS 11, yes I will eventually install it. But I will wait for 11.0.2, maybe even 11.0.3. I am in no hurry, and X.0.0 releases of any software is going to have issues. I write/maintain/support software for a living (for the last 25 years and counting), so I've been there done that many times.

Frost Forged

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I have the public beta on my 9.7” iPad Pro. I always update because even if it does slow some things down, often the new features of the OS are worth it. Everyone has to make this call for themselves, but i always recommend updating to the latest version of iOS, especially for the security patches.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I had the public beta on my 9.7” iPad Pro and it worked pretty good considering it was beta and had bugs. I probably will upgrade my 9.7” iPad Pro once the official 11 launches but will probably wait a week or so after release date just to watch the forums for reports of any issues.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Your mind is set, your worries are real and clear. If you are satisfy with your current version, then you should definitely stay on it. As you stated, there is no going back to previous version once you upgrade.

Really? I was able to go back to 10.3.2 on my iPad via iTunes after installing the 11 beta. Can't that be done if an iTunes backup is performed before upgrading?

Frost Forged

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Really? I was able to go back to 10.3.2 on my iPad via iTunes after installing the 11 beta. Can't that be done if an iTunes backup is performed before upgrading?

You can do this during the beta period, but shortly after iOS 11 is released this fall Apple will stop signing older versions of iOS.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
You can do this during the beta period, but shortly after iOS 11 is released this fall Apple will stop signing older versions of iOS.

Correct, but you'd still be able to go back to 10.3 if you wanted to. You wouldn't be getting any updates, but you could still revert back.

ShaneBunting

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Of course I will be. There's so much changes coming to iOS that you'll lose any excitement of using it after a while. Especially when everyone else has iOS 11 and its great features. Today's iPads will run iOS 11 much better than say the iPhone 4 did on iOS 7 as the processor chips have crossed a certain line. Sure, it might not be as fast as new but it should be more than useable. In the mean time, begin saving for a new model down the line

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Already updated in my iPad Air 2... Luckily everything goes smoothly and which makes me realize the system is pretty awesome. Just need another thing - keyboard... Any recommendation?? Guys.

I use an Apple wireless keyboard but don't take it with me. Out works well and is kind of recycling because I like the other style with keypad on desktop systems.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I believe that iOS 11 is the best software update ever for the iPad.

Yes, it boots how useful one can be. The tablets can no way be a laptop replacement for my needs because IT admin is demanding but I see how they can be marketed as laptop replacements with that update.

The 2017 just “iPad” with the latest OS is a really big boost if you have an older iPad that won’t run it.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Yes, it boots how useful one can be. The tablets can no way be a laptop replacement for my needs because IT admin is demanding but I see how they can be marketed as laptop replacements with that update.

The 2017 just “iPad” with the latest OS is a really big boost if you have an older iPad that won’t run it.

Agreed.
Tablets are great for entertainment and light productivity.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods