Will wireless charging adversely affect the battery life of my iPhone 13 Pro?

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Re: How to charge iPhone 13 Pro?

Got it. Sorry another question, what thin case do you use? I’ve been looking at Peel, Totallee and others but can’t decide. I was also looking for something that’s got some grip.

Those are REALLY thin like any thinner and you're using a skin!
They still protect from scratches/wear but drops not so much obviously.
Evutech Karbon provides a great mix of protection, grip without feeling bulky like Otter, et-al.
Pitaka is good too. The biggest I go for protection when I hit the trails is Speck Presidio Grip.
I keep my phone in a belt pouch so even naked isn't a big deal carrying it just have to be careful when putting it down.
Plus I have a Border Collie who is obsessed at destroying phones within his reach! No case can prevent bite damage LOL!

Mr.Willie

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site

Just use the charger and USB C cable that came with your iPad Air, IPad Pro, IPad Mini, many different brands of laptops, or many different brands of headphones that you may already have. Oh wait, sorry my bad. Apple is STILL insisting on using the lightning connector. :crying:

If I didn’t already have several Apple 20 watt chargers, I would just just get the Apple one for $20 or the highly rated Anker.

https://www.amazon.com/Charger-Anke...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUimUvbUpU3265408

iwicked

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site

Those are REALLY thin like any thinner and you're using a skin!
They still protect from scratches/wear but drops not so much obviously.
Evutech Karbon provides a great mix of protection, grip without feeling bulky like Otter, et-al.
Pitaka is good too. The biggest I go for protection when I hit the trails is Speck Presidio Grip.
I keep my phone in a belt pouch so even naked isn't a big deal carrying it just have to be careful when putting it down.
Plus I have a Border Collie who is obsessed at destroying phones within his reach! No case can prevent bite damage LOL!

That’s helpful. How much grip does the Pitaka case offer? I’ve looked at it and I kind of like how it looks but I’m not sure how slippery it’s going to be like those normal plastic thin cases. I’ll check out Evutech.

Oh you might want to encase it in steel box to protect it from your Collie! Still might not work though lol!

iwicked

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site

Just use the charger and USB C cable that came with your iPad Air, IPad Pro, IPad Mini, many different brands of laptops, or many different brands of headphones that you may already have. Oh wait, sorry my bad. Apple is STILL insisting on using the lightning connector. :crying:

If I didn’t already have several Apple 20 watt chargers, I would just just get the Apple one for $20 or the highly rated Anker.

https://www.amazon.com/Charger-Anke...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUimUvbUpU3265529

Thanks! So this Anker is safe to use with the iPhone? I ask because I had a bad experience with my iPhone 5S. I thought a non Apple brick and after a few charges my battery went haywire. It wouldn’t last more than an hour lol and it was a brand new phone.

So I also fear about using non Apple charging bricks since then.

iwicked

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site

I don't really have a schedule. If I charge overnight, I will use the MagSafe charger, because it's conveniently located on my nightstand. If I charge during the day, I use the USB-C charging bricks... I have one at home, and at work. When charging overnight, I am at the age, where I don't sleep through the night and have the bad habit of checking my phone. If it's fully charged, I don't put it back on the charger. If it isn't fully charged, I put it back on. THe MagSafe charger is much slower, but I don't mind that when I am not using the phone. If that makes sense! :D

Totally. I kind of do the same thing at night. I’m always waking up and taking my phone off charge to do stuff. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mr.Willie

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site

Thanks! So this Anker is safe to use with the iPhone? I ask because I had a bad experience with my iPhone 5S. I thought a non Apple brick and after a few charges my battery went haywire. It wouldn’t last more than an hour lol and it was a brand new phone.

So I also fear about using non Apple charging bricks since then.

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-multiport-usb-wall-charger/

The Wirecutter and several other tech sites that actually purchase products for testing and review highly recommend it.

What you need to be careful of are cheap Chinese knock offs.

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site

That’s helpful. How much grip does the Pitaka case offer? I’ve looked at it and I kind of like how it looks but I’m not sure how slippery it’s going to be like those normal plastic thin cases. I’ll check out Evutech.

Oh you might want to encase it in steel box to protect it from your Collie! Still might not work though lol!

Evutech has good grip. Pitaka is in between but preserves that slim near naked feel.

He is persistent for sure, if I put the phone in a drawer with the lightning cable coming out the front and there is a notification he will pull on the cable and unplug it from the brick and then chew the end off!

jos_olive

Sep 22, 2021
Visit site

That’s nice. Do you think quick charging degrades battery life?

There was this review/research on how to take care of your iPhone battery. Unfortunately, I can't find it at the moment. According to this study, it's better to keep your battery charged between 30-80% and a slow charge prolongs your battery life. But as I said, I don't have any proofs right now.
I'll try to add the article later if that's possible.

small update, still not sure if I'm allowed to post any links to sources, but here it is:
https://www.cnet.com/tech/mobile/do...tery-life-6-phone-battery-questions-answered/
According to it,
Unless there's some technical flaw with your battery or charger electronics, however, using a fast charger won't do your phone's battery any long-term damage.
Here's why. Fast-charging batteries work in two phases. The first phase applies a blast of voltage to the empty or nearly empty battery. This gives you that blazing charge of from 50% to 70% in the first 10, 15 or 30 minutes. That's because during the first phase of charging, batteries can absorb a charge quickly without major negative effects on their long-term health.
Hope this helps!

Also wanted to say thank you for sharing your experience, Annie.

- Joseph

Last edited:

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site

Avoid wireless charging if you can since it creates heat on the battery. Less battery degradation if you intend on using this thing for 3 years or so.

I have a launch day 12 Pro that is still at 100% battery capacity. I charge it every night with a 5W charging brick and only fast charge during the day when I really need to.

nope, used wireless on my 11 pro was still 100% after a year, my 12 pro max is 99%

iwicked

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site

Evutech has good grip. Pitaka is in between but preserves that slim near naked feel.

He is persistent for sure, if I put the phone in a drawer with the lightning cable coming out the front and there is a notification he will pull on the cable and unplug it from the brick and then chew the end off!

I am really inclined to go with Pitaka. I will look at Amazon if I can find sth cheaper. If not, Pitaka might be the next best option.

Lol that's very persistant!

iwicked

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site

There was this review/research on how to take care of your iPhone battery. Unfortunately, I can't find it at the moment. According to this study, it's better to keep your battery charged between 30-80% and a slow charge prolongs your battery life. But as I said, I don't have any proofs right now.
I'll try to add the article later if that's possible.

small update, still not sure if I'm allowed to post any links to sources, but here it is:
https://www.cnet.com/tech/mobile/do...tery-life-6-phone-battery-questions-answered/
According to it,

Hope this helps!

Also wanted to say thank you for sharing your experience, Annie.

- Joseph

Thanks so much for the link and the feedback. I might just get the Anker power brick for fast charging.

got berry

May 28, 2012
Visit site

Got it. Sorry another question, what thin case do you use? I’ve been looking at Peel, Totallee and others but can’t decide. I was also looking for something that’s got some grip.

Totallee is the best. They just came out with a clear hard case.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Hi folks. So I have pre-ordered the 13 Pro moving from XS. I understand there is not going to be a power adapter with the phone and I don't have any with USB C. So, I'm looking at buying a new one.

This is where I am confused and would appreciate your help. I'm thinking of getting a wireless charger but with all the conflicting information on the internet, I can't decide whether it will be harmful or not for the battery health. I intend to use this device for 3-4 years and don't want to consider replacing the battery before 2 years. Will wireless charging adversely affect battery life?

Or should I just buy a 20W power adapter and call it a day? I usually always charge my phone at night so I'm not sure if I need that high-speed charging and whether it will be bad for the battery too? Is it safe to buy non-Apple power adapters like from Belkin or Anker, etc?

I am really not sure which route to take so any suggestions are appreciated.

USB C Charger, Anker Nano II 65W GaN II PPS Fast Charger Adapter, Foldable Compact Charger for MacBook Pro/Air, Galaxy S20/S10, Dell XPS 13, Note 20/10+, iPhone 12/Pro/Mini, iPad Pro, Pixel, and More https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08T5QN2T...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUimUvbUpU3268084

turbochgd

Sep 21, 2021
Visit site

Totallee is an amazing company. I recently purchased the 13 Pro and weight mattered to me so I wanted a very lightweight case. So glad I went with Totallee as the case is awesome, hardly weighs anything. Also added their tempered glass protector which is also very thin and lightweight. They are a first class operation who stand fully behind their products. The packaging it comes in is your first clue that you’re getting quality. Trust me, you will not be sorry. Not inexpensive, but you’ll love it.