*Will the iPhone 5s make you switch to the Samsung Galaxy S4?

anon(279851)

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
*Will the iPhone 5S make you switch to the Samsung Galaxy S4?

Hello,

With the upcoming Samsung Galaxy S4 and the leaked specs coming out, will this be enough for you to want upgrade to the 5S? Or do you believe the S series will be outdated when it finally does arrive as compared to the software and hardware being offered by Samsung?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

To be honest, it won't have any effect on me at all. I, without a doubt whatsoever, will be purchasing an iPhone...either the current 5 or its successor. Specs, I've come to learn, are irrelevant if the mobile experience isn't fluid, simple and pleasing in regard to how I use it. Take the camera, for instance. The camera on the 4S is more than enough for 'me' so if the next device comes with a 13+ MP camera, I won't give it a second thought because I'm not some kid running around snapping pictures all day long and posting them on social sites. Besides, I own a Nikon D90 DSLR camera and I use it when I want to take what I consider serious photos. Anyway, thanks for posting the questions. Take care. :)

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site

For most smartphone users its not about which phone has the latest specs or newest OS. It's about what platform gives you the experience. Apple has consistently delivered the best experience for a smartphone, even more so with each subsequent device release.

Sure, the new Sammy may have a quad core processor or 12 MP camera, but that doesn't mean it'll outperform the new iPhone. Apple builds their devices for what the OS needs to perform at top speed. Their phones don't need quad core to support the OS. Android phones are getting dual and quad cores and still having lag issues.

In the end, it's all about choosing which experience and ecosystem you want. My choice is Apple and will remain that way unless there is a better option. It's not Android, WP, and definitely not BlackBerry 10.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

thatgirl87

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

Absolutely not. I don't care how fancy and "cool" the galaxy s series is. I will always remain faithful to my iPhone.

GibMcFragger

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site

Nope. Doesn't matter how good the hardware is if the OS lags (and Android always will, due the way it's designed).

Hardware specs mean nothing. It's all about useability. iOS runs like butter, Android lags (it's better with Jellybean, but still not as fluid). I had an HTC One XL, and although the hardware was awesome, JB still lagged even though I had it running a custom rom and kernel....and it was overclocked.

I am sticking with Apple.

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me

Probably not. Never say never buy I haven't been a fan of Samsung phones to date. I don't like the plastic they use for their casings. Also they seem more throw-everything against the wall when it comes to features.

The HTC One interests me more.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Re: *Will the iPhone 5S make you switch to the Samsung Galaxy S4?

gee i wonder what the majority of answers will be in this thread SMFH

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site

The HTC One does look good. That threads keep popping up Samsung is just a testament to Samsung's marketing.

I'm good with the iphone 5 though for another year. The way things are going, the retina Mini ipad might be my next phone...

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site

Probably not. Never say never buy I haven't been a fan of Samsung phones to date. I don't like the plastic they use for their casings. Also they seem more throw-everything against the wall when it comes to features.

Exactly this for me too. I had a SGS3 and it felt terribly flimsy and there was definite torsion in the device too. I'm way more interested in the new HTC One and will be watching that closely to see if it is worth getting rid of my work phone SGS2 and buying the HTC instead.

Mian Athar

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site

Personally i believe Apple has nothing left!!!!!!! The samsung is gonna beat the cr*p out of Apple becasue the s3 did so with the latest leaked specs i am pretty sure apple gonna fall

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Personally i believe Apple has nothing left!!!!!!! The samsung is gonna beat the cr*p out of Apple becasue the s3 did so with the latest leaked specs i am pretty sure apple gonna fall

Beat the crap out of Apple? How will it be judged? By specs or by sales? If by sales, you are most likely in for a surprise ... ;)

drakkus

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site

I agree, the experience and how fluid the OS is more important than the specs.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com

Exactly my thought as well. The HTC One hardware has me intrigued. I sense that is in my future as my next toy.

Easy-G

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site

I think the real question is "Will the iPhone 5s bring anything new to the table/Does it need to?" or "Will the SGS4 bring anything worthwhile to the table?".

iPhone 5 is great hardware, but brought nothing compelling in terms of features. 5S will likely be another spec bump, mostly in the camera department, and hopefully something compelling in terms of features - maybe an innovative use for NFC.

SGS4 is looking like another big phone in a sea of big phones with some radical new features that have limited novelty appeal (looking at you, eye scrolling).

Chances are, happy iPhone people will not jump ship. I'm with Rene's assessment that perfecting its exclusive services is the most important thing Apple can do with iOS. Keep making Siri more accurate and more capable. Keep making Maps better. Improve the reliability of iCloud/Messages/etc.

EauRouge

Trusted Member
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site

To be honest, unless the trend ends, I dont see a point in upgrading from the 5 to the 5S. Let me guess, the chipset will be faster and have an "X" at the end of its name. The camera may be better and the lens will be designed to take in even more light.

the iphone 4 to the 5 was a jump. Not as big as it could have been, but a good upgrade. iphones ending in "S" are something that this tech lover will stay away from.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site

I think the real question is "Will the iPhone 5s bring anything new to the table/Does it need to?" or "Will the SGS4 bring anything worthwhile to the table?".

iPhone 5 is great hardware, but brought nothing compelling in terms of features. 5S will likely be another spec bump, mostly in the camera department, and hopefully something compelling in terms of features - maybe an innovative use for NFC.

SGS4 is looking like another big phone in a sea of big phones with some radical new features that have limited novelty appeal (looking at you, eye scrolling).

Chances are, happy iPhone people will not jump ship. I'm with Rene's assessment that perfecting its exclusive services is the most important thing Apple can do with iOS. Keep making Siri more accurate and more capable. Keep making Maps better. Improve the reliability of iCloud/Messages/etc.

Absolutely. I don't see either bringing much new to the table. It depends on android and iOS. Not the hardware.

But this is the reason why Apple's stock is tanking. Even with a retina mini or a bigger iphone, the problems remain the same for Apple.

Getting a grip on marketing and the message they push out is problem number one for Apple. Invest in software and ecosystem. The odds of Apple finding another "perfect product" like the iphone is slim. Being able to sell a premium product at mainstream prices with help from carriers is hard to reproduce.

The immediate concerns for apple should always be that iphone. It's their most important product. It's absolutely unbelievable they don't have a bigger screened branded iphone launching this year (if the rumors are true that it's not forthcoming this year). Sure, it could come next year but that's an awful long time to concede that space to the competition. A retina plus 4.8" iphone could make the HTC One or S4 look silly. It'd only be a bandaid for what is really hurting Apple but it'd be a well placed one that could help give them time or at least right the marketing ship.

When I read articles that Apple could reasonably release a bigger iphone with the same resolution, I just roll my eyes. A non retina (ok...a lower ppi) iphone? That's just stupid. Sure, it would sell. But the damage would be done. The media would have a field day comparing this to phones like the HTC One or S4. Apple may as well release a "kick me" sign.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh