Will it be the iPhone 5 or 4G, or 4GS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

riley9dy

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
I don't think there will be two models. Just one and it will be called the iPhone 5. The reason I disagree with a lot of people who say there will be two models is because, we must remember that apple is a business and their ultimate goal is to make money, and quite honestly who wouldn't pay an extra $100 or $150 for an iphone 5 rather than a not as nice 4s?? It just wouldn't make sense business wise for apple to have two different iphone models.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I don't think there will be two models. Just one and it will be called the iPhone 5. The reason I disagree with a lot of people who say there will be two models is because, we must remember that apple is a business and their ultimate goal is to make money, and quite honestly who wouldn't pay an extra $100 or $150 for an iphone 5 rather than a not as nice 4s?? It just wouldn't make sense business wise for apple to have two different iphone models.

I don't know for sure what Apple is going to do... but I can understand the thinking behind the 2 phone approach, and actually think that it's quite plausible. Not everyone is able to pay $199/299 for a new phone (price point based on historical storage capacities). To date, Apple has placed their cell phone offering in the premium category, which also placed it in the upper tier, price wise. But there are a number of entry level smartphones in the $99-$149 price range which Apple has historically ignored. Offering an iPhone comparable in features to the current iPhone 4 at that price point could prove very lucrative for Apple... and that's the bottom line - making money for Apple's shareholders.

Hopefully, we'll know the answer fairly soon.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

What?

There is an ENORMOUS market for the previous generation iPhone when the iPhone 4 was released...enough to where they continued selling it not one, but 2 years after it was released (even longer actually)...Apple's new plan seems to be to introduce a "new" iPhone that is cheaper so they don't have to stick with the previous generation in the retail stores...this idea seems not only great from a consumer stand point because they don't have to feel like they're getting the "old one", but also from a business stand point, because they don't have to come down on price as much on a lesser NEW iPhone than they do with a previous generation OLD iPhone.

It makes perfect sense on both ends of the spectrum to release 2 different iPhones.

riley9dy

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
What?

There is an ENORMOUS market for the previous generation iPhone when the iPhone 4 was released...enough to where they continued selling it not one, but 2 years after it was released (even longer actually)...Apple's new plan seems to be to introduce a "new" iPhone that is cheaper so they don't have to stick with the previous generation in the retail stores...this idea seems not only great from a consumer stand point because they don't have to feel like they're getting the "old one", but also from a business stand point, because they don't have to come down on price as much on a lesser NEW iPhone than they do with a previous generation OLD iPhone.

It makes perfect sense on both ends of the spectrum to release 2 different iPhones.

I disagree. I'm not saying people won't buy a past generation iPhone, I'm saying that MOST people who are going to buy an iPhone would be willing to pay the extra money for the top of the line one if there are two new ones... If they produced two dif. models then the iPhone 4 wouldn't be sold and all of the people that would have bought it used would just by the second tier iPhone and after the money apple would spend developing a second tier phone it just wouldn't be profitable..... To word it more simply: Why build a second tier phone thats about equal to the iphone 4 when you could just keep selling the iphone 4 after the iphone 5 is out?

riley9dy

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
I don't know for sure what Apple is going to do... but I can understand the thinking behind the 2 phone approach, and actually think that it's quite plausible. Not everyone is able to pay $199/299 for a new phone (price point based on historical storage capacities). To date, Apple has placed their cell phone offering in the premium category, which also placed it in the upper tier, price wise. But there are a number of entry level smartphones in the $99-$149 price range which Apple has historically ignored. Offering an iPhone comparable in features to the current iPhone 4 at that price point could prove very lucrative for Apple... and that's the bottom line - making money for Apple's shareholders.

Hopefully, we'll know the answer fairly soon.

That would make sense.. but the consumer would realize that the second tier phone is just basically a glorified iPhone 4 and wouldn't be willing to pay any more for it... mark my words, Apple will only release ONE Phone

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I disagree. I'm not saying people won't buy a past generation iPhone, I'm saying that MOST people who are going to buy an iPhone would be willing to pay the extra money for the top of the line one if there are two new ones... If they produced two dif. models then the iPhone 4 wouldn't be sold and all of the people that would have bought it used would just by the second tier iPhone and after the money apple would spend developing a second tier phone it just wouldn't be profitable..... To word it more simply: Why build a second tier phone thats about equal to the iphone 4 when you could just keep selling the iphone 4 after the iphone 5 is out?

You're not looking at this from a business stand point bud...you're looking at it as a consumer that would buy the regular iPhone anyways. The whole idea is to bring in the cheaper consumer market, the ones that are on Tmobile, Metro PCS, etc etc etc, that buy cheap model phones with Android OS on them because they want the smart phone but not the smart phone price. In that, it makes perfect sense why they'd release 2 models of phones (based purely on a monetary separation).

Think of it like this...the guy who goes to AT&T and wants an iPhone 4 right now has the choice between the iPhone 4 at the higher price or a 3GS at a discounted rate...OR...he can get a brand new Android powered phone for the same price as the previous generation iPhone...this guy sees new phone and thinks "Id rather have a current gen phone than a previous gen phone...", and thus, may buy the Android over an old iPhone.

Apple thinks "Hmmm...if we offer a "NEW" iPhone that is cheaper, we can grab the millions that will buy the more expensive one anyways AND grab the cheaper market group as well...more phones = more money. The regular iPhone itself will probably PAY for the cheaper models production fully 10 fold, so it doesn't really cost them any thing in the first place, and they capture a whole new target audience.

It really makes perfect sense...regardless of whether you agree or not.

riley9dy

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
You're not looking at this from a business stand point bud...you're looking at it as a consumer that would buy the regular iPhone anyways. The whole idea is to bring in the cheaper consumer market, the ones that are on Tmobile, Metro PCS, etc etc etc, that buy cheap model phones with Android OS on them because they want the smart phone but not the smart phone price. In that, it makes perfect sense why they'd release 2 models of phones (based purely on a monetary separation).

Think of it like this...the guy who goes to AT&T and wants an iPhone 4 right now has the choice between the iPhone 4 at the higher price or a 3GS at a discounted rate...OR...he can get a brand new Android powered phone for the same price as the previous generation iPhone...this guy sees new phone and thinks "Id rather have a current gen phone than a previous gen phone...", and thus, may buy the Android over an old iPhone.

Apple thinks "Hmmm...if we offer a "NEW" iPhone that is cheaper, we can grab the millions that will buy the more expensive one anyways AND grab the cheaper market group as well...more phones = more money. The regular iPhone itself will probably PAY for the cheaper models production fully 10 fold, so it doesn't really cost them any thing in the first place, and they capture a whole new target audience.

It really makes perfect sense...regardless of whether you agree or not.

True, the new iphone would pay for production of the cheaper model but thats just another expense and expenses for a business=less profit. Why add that extra expense to capture a target market that you can already capture with a phone you have already developed and mass produced? And you're point about the portion of the market who wants a smart phone without the smartphone price for one thing, is very small and secondly, whatever android phone "metro pcs etc, etc, etc" and the cheaper companies are producing are not as nice as a past generation iphone.

Now, thats just my way of looking at it from a business stand point... I'm not trying to say "I'm right and you're wrong"... We just have two different ideas about what we think the consumer wants, this is a matter of opinion, plain and simple

SteezyAR

Aug 2, 2011
www.SteezyAR.com
Maybe they will have the iphone 5 with all the updated hardware etc with a glass glass like the iphone 4 but a 4S that is just an iphone 4 but with a plastic case??

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
True, the new iphone would pay for production of the cheaper model but thats just another expense and expenses for a business=less profit. Why add that extra expense to capture a target market that you can already capture with a phone you have already developed and mass produced? And you're point about the portion of the market who wants a smart phone without the smartphone price for one thing, is very small and secondly, whatever android phone "metro pcs etc, etc, etc" and the cheaper companies are producing are not as nice as a past generation iphone.

Now, thats just my way of looking at it from a business stand point... I'm not trying to say "I'm right and you're wrong"... We just have two different ideas about what we think the consumer wants, this is a matter of opinion, plain and simple

Whether or not the phones available as "new" are nicer than the previous model of iPhone is a moot point, and the "very small" market you're referring to is actually HUGE...it's almost the entire % of people left after we consider those who buy the exact phone they want every time...referencing it as "small" is completely inaccurate.

You seem to be missing the point of my posts completely...which was the fact that, from a business standpoint, capturing a portion of the market that wants a NEW phone instead of a previous generation phone would be a lot easier if they had a "cheaper" iPhone that WAS new, instead of a previous generation iPhone that competes with NEW phones from other companies for the same price. The market of people i am referring to want new toys just as much as the next guy, but they want to pay less for it...so bringing out a NEW iPhone that costs less than the regular iPhone fills the need for the cheaper phone AND represents in the market as "new" instead of previous gen, which satisfies the other end of their wants.

It's not an opinion my friend, if you wanted my OPINION of this whole thing, it would be to stick with one model of iPhone and if those people don't want to pony up the money for it, screw 'em, let them have their cheap metro PCS android phone and let everyone else willing to pay a premium for a premium phone enjoy the fruits of their labor...thats an opinion. What i was discussing before was simply business common sense, nothing more...nothing less.

RedRangerReid

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
i think its going to be the iPhone 5 wouldn't make sense to call it a 4S or 4GS and the best part is all other iPhones will be able to update there iOS to iOS 5 i just jumped on the iPhone bandwagon from BlackBerry im pretty new at this but bring on the new software and hardware

dublex

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
iPhone 5 sounds better. it actually will influence people to buy the device. I mean, who wants to purchase something that was a half-way job at Cupertino? It will seem like a patched version of the iPhone 4; and by patched I mean getting away from the whole antennagate incident. I also think because of the antennagate incident, Apple wants to stray consumer's minds away from the possibility that if they hold their phone wrong, you will not be able to get reception.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
If the thought of the next iPhone being LTE capable comes true, I would say calling it the iPhone 4G would be most appropriate.

---
- Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
If the thought of the next iPhone being LTE capable comes true, I would say calling it the iPhone 4G would be most appropriate.

---
- Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

Agree since it will be 4g. The iphone 4 isnt the iphone 4g like some of the clueless apple fanboys say so 4g makes sense if it has lte.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods