Will Charging My iPhone 5 w/Nokia USB charger Damage It?

raivo stradins

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi
I accidently charged about one hour my i5 with wrong chargerg which output is 12-24v(nokia usb charger). Iphone 5 original charger output is 5v.
What could bad happen with my phone? There may be some serious damage?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: iphone 5 battery

Does your iPhone appear to be working properly? If so, I doubt there's anything to worry about. However, I do suggest you only use genuine Apple chargers or Apple approved chargers to charge your device.

amazingapple

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site

Hi
I accidently charged about one hour my i5 with wrong chargerg which output is 12-24v(nokia usb charger). Iphone 5 original charger output is 5v.
What could bad happen with my phone? There may be some serious damage?

The iphone 5 can only charge upto 5w anything higher like 12w doesn't matter it'll still be charging at 5w P.S sorry if confusing

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

I have to say that I agree using what was made, tested and shipped to be used with the device you have be it an iPhone or iPad. There may never be anything to happen but the one time it does, You would have wished you used what was tested and approved for your device. You Genuine chargers and cords by Apple and you won't have to worry or wonder. :)

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

I have to say that I agree using what was made, tested and shipped to be used with the device you have be it an iPhone or iPad. There may never be anything to happen but the one time it does, You would have wished you used what was tested and approved for your device. You Genuine chargers and cords by Apple and you won't have to worry or wonder. :)

I understand your point, Jaguarr40, regarding using what was sold/tested with your device. And there was a story recently about a flight attendant in Japan being electrocuted by what Apple says was a counterfeit charger, so there is some wisdom there...

But with that said... all of the Apple iPhones and iPods are compatible with the complete Apple line of chargers (5W, 10W and 12W). Apple lists all of the devices on their website as being totally compatible and supported. The iPads are not compatible with the 5W chargers, as they don’t put out enough power to charge the iPads. They will not harm the iPad, but they may not charge at all or will charge extremely slowly.

taylorh

May 24, 2004
www.gadgetech.info

The iPad is compatible with the iPhone 5W charger. It will charge perfectly fine, it will just do so much more slowly (at most 1/2 the speed.) An iPad uses up to 2 amps and the iPhone charger is 1 Amp.
The iPhone and iPad will work with any and all USB chargers but unless it's a charger intended for Apple devices (be it genuine Apple or 3rd party) it may all back to using the USB standard of only 1/2 an amp (2.5 watts.) This is especially the case with Android adapters.

Again, your iPhone and iPad will charge, just slower. The iPhone uses up to 1 amp to rapid charge so 1/2 an amp would take twice as long.

Raivo said it was 24V adapter? USB is 5V. So if it's really 24V then it could fry the iPhone. Incidentally if the voltage is less than 4.5 or greater than 5.5 V the iPhone and iPad will not charge at all, it will block the charging circuitry and hopefully won't be overloaded. But if he meant 2.4 W (watt) or 12 W (watt), then assuming it's a standard 5 V USB adapter, the wattage won't matter. The iPhone and iPad can use any wattage 5 V USB adapter but may use only 2.5 watts (the USB spec.)

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner