Will Apple update the iOS version of my Jailbroken device if I take it 2 get a hardware issue fixed?

karthigan26

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys,
Apple has recently announced they will replace the mechanisms of iPhone 5 sleep buttons that don't work properly, and i am one of these people. I am currently jailbroken on 7.0.4 and giving my to apple will mean getting rid of my jailbreak. My first question is if i can get rid of my jailbreak and still stay on 7.0.4 and my next question is if i give in my phone on 7.0.4 will apple not take my phone in or will they update it after the fix. Thanks a lot for any responses, much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

acplaya

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
re: Will Apple update the iOS version of my Jailbroken device if I take it 2 get a hardware issue fixed?

Hardware and software are two separate issues, if there is no software issues why would they decline you for hardware a malfunction?

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
re: Will Apple update the iOS version of my Jailbroken device if I take it 2 get a hardware issue fixed?

First of all I would start by reading this article.

Apple begins repair process for faulty iPhone 5 sleep buttons | iMore

After that if you go to Apple and if you qualify they will replace your home button and I would not think they would touch anything else.

Worse is if you have to upgrade you will lose what you have and have to go to 7.1.1 which is the latest version but I think you will be ok.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

I don't see where repairing or replacing the sleep button would involve an update. If you can remove the jailbreak and stay on 7.0.4, then rejailbreak after the button fix, I don't think Apple will update you without asking first. I think they would just fix the button.

Sent from from my iPhone 5

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

I don't see where repairing or replacing the sleep button would involve an update. If you can remove the jailbreak and stay on 7.0.4, then rejailbreak after the button fix, I don't think Apple will update you without asking first. I think they would just fix the button.

Yes I agree with you. I mentioned that I don't think they care about anything else as long as the home button does not involve anything else which it should not.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Yes I agree with you. I mentioned that I don't think they care about anything else as long as the home button does not involve anything else which it should not.
You got any idea if this from the above Apple info link would mean any phone not on the latest iOS would be updated? Kind of vague.

"Note: If you are running iOS 6, your iPhone will need to be upgraded to iOS 7 after the sleep/wake button mechanism is replaced."

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

You got any idea if this from the above Apple info link would mean any phone not on the latest iOS would be updated? Kind of vague.

"Note: If you are running iOS 6, your iPhone will need to be upgraded to iOS 7 after the sleep/wake button mechanism is replaced."

There's a reddit thread already taking about it:
http://www.reddit.com/r/jailbreak/comments/23zz0i/fyi_if_you_use_apples_free_sleep_button/

Sent from my iPhone 5S or Jailbroken 5th gen iPod Touch using Tapatalk

karthigan26

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for the reply guys, i guess i would just have to wait and see. How would i get rid of my jailbreak on my 7.0.4 and still stay on 7.0.4 without updating?

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen