Will Apple keep my old phone if it was damaged by another company?

I

iMore Question

Will Apple keep my old phone if it was damaged by another company

I was at Disneyland with my family at the beginning of the month. While visiting my kids were taking pictures with the characters. One of the Disney cast members ask if I wanted to be in the picture with my boys and said that she would snap some shots on my phone(Gold iphone 5s). I said sure and handed it to her. About a min later she dropped in on the concrete. Well it was badly gashed and scratched. The glass was fine though. Pretty much cosmetic. I didn't make a scene but I did tell guest relations about it. They called me a few days later and said the would gladly repair it and to get an estimate from apple and send them a copy. When I went in she said the phone would have to be replaced or swapped. Now my question is...are they going to keep my old phone that is already paid for of course, take Disney's $$$ and give me a more than likely refurbished one? If so why? Both phones would be paid for. I'm hoping this would not be the case but I kinda got the feeling after talking to the apple rep that they would be keeping my old one. To me that wouldn't be right since the 2 phones would have costed us around 700 bucks total and Im sure they would just do whatever they need to do to fix the damage and then resell it. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Re: Will Apple keep my old phone if it was damaged by another company

I was at Disneyland with my family at the beginning of the month. While visiting my kids were taking pictures with the characters. One of the Disney cast members ask if I wanted to be in the picture with my boys and said that she would snap some shots on my phone(Gold iphone 5s). I said sure and handed it to her. About a min later she dropped in on the concrete. Well it was badly gashed and scratched. The glass was fine though. Pretty much cosmetic. I didn't make a scene but I did tell guest relations about it. They called me a few days later and said the would gladly repair it and to get an estimate from apple and send them a copy. When I went in she said the phone would have to be replaced or swapped. Now my question is...are they going to keep my old phone that is already paid for of course, take Disney's $$$ and give me a more than likely refurbished one? If so why? Both phones would be paid for. I'm hoping this would not be the case but I kinda got the feeling after talking to the apple rep that they would be keeping my old one. To me that wouldn't be right since the 2 phones would have costed us around 700 bucks total and Im sure they would just do whatever they need to do to fix the damage and then resell it. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

What you describe is pretty much what’s going to happen. You have a damaged phone. Apple is going to replace it, and the Mouse is going to pay for the repair/replacement. Not sure why you got your panties in a wad over it. People get all worked up over getting a refurbished device, but they are as good or better than new. Apple goes through them, replaces the screen, the case and any parts that need replacing. They come with a 1 year warranty and if you have AppleCare+ on your current device, it transfers to the replacement device.

Not sure what you’re concerned about. You bought a device. And you’ll have a device, since you got a replacement at no cost to you. Just be grateful that Disney stepped up and offered to resolve the issue for you. Otherwise, you’d be out the money or be stuck with a damaged device.

Are you expecting to get to keep the damaged device AND get a new/refurbed one? How is that fair to anyone?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

What you describe is pretty much what?s going to happen. You have a damaged phone. Apple is going to replace it, and the Mouse is going to pay for the repair/replacement. Not sure why you got your panties in a wad over it. People get all worked up over getting a refurbished device, but they are as good or better than new. Apple goes through them, replaces the screen, the case and any parts that need replacing. They come with a 1 year warranty and if you have AppleCare+ on your current device, it transfers to the replacement device.

Not sure what you?re concerned about. You bought a device. And you?ll have a device, since you got a replacement at no cost to you. Just be grateful that Disney stepped up and offered to resolve the issue for you. Otherwise, you?d be out the money or be stuck with a damaged device.

Are you expecting to get to keep the damaged device AND get a new/refurbed one? How is that fair to anyone?

'Nuf said...:)....Since the issue is cosmetic, they are going to replace it, i.e, take yours and give you another one. Keeping both your cosmetically damaged one and the replacement isn't fair and gives the impression that the scratches and scrapes weren't really an issue.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site

Apple always takes the old damaged phone and keeps it. Just because it is paid for doesn't mean you get to keep 2 phones.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Apple will take your damaged phone and fix it up for someone else who had a mouse problem.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vivekintech1