Will Apple continue to lose ground in education to the Chromebook?

Ken Magel

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
Apple had a special event yesterday to announce a new Ipad, a lot of educational software. Was this enough to restore Apple's formerly leading role in K-12 education, or did Apple fail to make Ipad's inexpensive enough and easy enough for school districts (not just individual teachers in individual classrooms) to manage? Will Apple continue to lose ground in education to the Chromebook?

Ken Magel

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
Educational prices:
New IPad 9.7: $299
Apple Pencil: $89
Apple Keyboard: $150 (???)
Cover for IPad: $50 plus

versus
Chromebook for $200

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
That depend on the location, in my opinion. In my neck of the woods, iPads appear to be the device of choice for schools.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
That's more an exception than the rule. It depends on education budget, and most districts would rather save money than spend it on iPads. ChromeOS is killing it right now.

Pete Tete

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
That's more an exception than the rule. It depends on education budget, and most districts would rather save money than spend it on iPads. ChromeOS is killing it right now.

It is not even a question of what they would rather, it's dwindling education budgets everywhere. Apple has to undercut ChromeOS if they want to be a player in this field, and they are not. Each educational iPad is considerably more expensive than a Chromebook, which makes this a no-brainer for most schools. I have 4 kids in 3 different schools, all 4 of them use Chromebooks in classrooms and Google Classroom / Docs for homework.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

You may very well be right, but I can only go by what I'm witnessing.

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Trusted Member
Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
It is not even a question of what they would rather, it's dwindling education budgets everywhere. Apple has to undercut ChromeOS if they want to be a player in this field, and they are not.

I am inclined to agree with both points. Chrome OS is very budget friendly, and Apple would have to do major cuts to the price tag in order to compete.

Ken Magel

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
In the education market, it appears Apple intends to compete on the basis of what teachers and students can do with its products, especially software, rather than on price. The Anyone Can Create curriculum outlined at the Apple event has a lot of flash and maybe quite a bit of important functionality. Will it be enough? Will Apple continue to expand it quickly enough?

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
It really depends on the market. I my line of work (pro a/v) I deal with K12's that are all Google or all Apple, and universities that are mostly Apple.

Google seems to be the most widely used basically for price and Google Apps for Education.

However, these same K12 districts are now wanting to do more than the Chromebook will do. For example, with Apple and Windows, you can extend your display onto an interactive (touch screen) display and use software to mark up maps, drawings, etc., anything the teacher can display on their computers. Unfortunately these same functions cannot be done with Chromebook because the apps needed to do it don't exist and may never exist.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
In my opinion, it depends on the institution itself and its budget. I have seen some schools use Macbooks as their main computer of choice.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2