Chris Cook5

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
This might be a silly question but, I am going to try out Google Wi-Fi. I currently have a modem/router combo from my ISP. Do I need to take my ethernet cord & put one end in my new router and the other end in my Mac desktop that is currently right next to each other. My combo router currently has three extra ethernet ports on the back.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
You simply switch the modems and that’s it.

Edit: apparently it’s not as easy as I thought. Disregard above message.

Last edited:

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
This might be a silly question but, I am going to try out Google Wi-Fi. I currently have a modem/router combo from my ISP. Do I need to take my ethernet cord & put one end in my new router and the other end in my Mac desktop that is currently right next to each other. My combo router currently has three extra ethernet ports on the back.

I know for sure you're going to have to put the modem/router (gateway) into bridge mode, so it acts as just a straight modem. That way you won't run into a "Double NAT" situation. If any of this needs elaboration Google is your friend ...

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Those are among popular brands but I value the radio performance and enterprise network gear heritage with Ubiquiti. Meraki would always be my first choice bit it is expensive for home use. The Ubiquiti Amplifi 3 pack or base with a "mesh point" is a really good solution if radio performance is important along with other popular ease of use features.

Other Ubiquiti products are really strong if you want to do stuff with lighting and powered Ethernet in your home.

If you have the budget, Meraki advanced security licensing with their AMP family will get you state of the art network-based security. You can use Cisco's free Umbrella with lesser gear in your home. I'm very happy with Ubiquiti in my home even though I'm an nearly all Cisco & Nutanix admin by day.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bellaaaa4