WiFi Shut Off?

akmolin

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Was wondering if anyone else noticed it seems if you are connected to WiFi and then lock the phone and don't mess with it for about 10 mins then hit the home button to unlock the phone it shows 3G where it would normally show the WiFi signal and then when I unlock my iPhone it shows it connected to WiFi. Wondered if anyone else has come across this i am running iOS4.3.5

Thanks in advance for everyone's responses

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
This has always been the case for me. iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS, iOS version 3.x through current. It seems to turn off wifi when he screen turns off (unless something is actively using data through wifi). I do not know of an option to keep wifi turned on when it's "sleeping."

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Was wondering if anyone else noticed it seems if you are connected to WiFi and then lock the phone and don't mess with it for about 10 mins then hit the home button to unlock the phone it shows 3G where it would normally show the WiFi signal and then when I unlock my iPhone it shows it connected to WiFi. Wondered if anyone else has come across this i am running iOS4.3.5

Thanks in advance for everyone's responses

The iPhone turns off wifi when it is asleep to save battery. Has been for years. Unless you are actively using the data; like streaming audio.

I believe they actually took this out with early iOS 4 releases and then put it back with 4.1 or 4.2 because of battery life complaints.

icebox93

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
If you need wifi to stay on while the device is idle and sleeping, and you're jailbroken, there is a free app on cydia called wifiport that can keep your wifi connection going in sleep mode. But as others have already commented, this is a great way to run down your battery, so I'd really think twice before installing this tweak.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
If you need wifi to stay on while the device is idle and sleeping, and you're jailbroken, there is a free app on cydia called wifiport that can keep your wifi connection going in sleep mode. But as others have already commented, this is a great way to run down your battery, so I'd really think twice before installing this tweak.

Yup, I can confirm that doing this definitely does run down the battery more quickly, which is why I removed it from my prior jailbreak.

gmz73

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
Always worked that way for me as well. Always connects right away though.

Second that, that's always been the case for me. If its been sitting unused and I unlock it I see 3G for a few seconds too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

akmolin

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
O okay thanks everyone I appreciate the help. I don't need it to stay on when not using it just wondered if it really shuts off automatically for battery thanks again