WiFi keeps dropping

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
I would agree with Alli, delete ur setting and re-add. If that doesn't work, try resetting ur router to see if that helps.

jwloftis

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I am having the same problem sometimes my iphone 5 wont connect to certain routers. At my mom house it would connect than drop frequently. I hooked up a old linksys router at home and everything works fine on it but will not hook up to my d link router. This is very annoying.

mglivesey

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
I have the same problem. It seems to happen most often when I've been reading a long article on Instapaper.

Sometimes I manually re-connect to Wi-Fi half way through an article, then discover a few minutes later that it's disconnected again!...

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have the same problem. It seems to happen most often when I've been reading a long article on Instapaper.

Sometimes I manually re-connect to Wi-Fi half way through an article, then discover a few minutes later that it's disconnected again!...

I read articles via Instapaper all day every day and I'm not experiencing any problems whatsoever with Wi-Fi. Never have.

mglivesey

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
I read articles via Instapaper all day every day and I'm not experiencing any problems whatsoever with Wi-Fi. Never have.

It seems to be only at certain times, usually at night. At first, I only noticed that whilst reading a long-form article - after bringing up the status bar from full-screen - my phone had reverted to 3G.

I switched to Settings, Wi-Fi was on but not connected, and I had to physically select my Wi-Fi network to get it to re-connect.
However, after returning to Instapaper and continuing reading (in full-screen, landscape) after a few minutes it has gone back to 3G.
It's not just Instapaper though (Instapaper accounts for roughly 80% of my overall iPhone usage), I've started to notice it happening on other apps, which is particularly annoying when I'm streaming a tv show on iView or Youtube.

Strangely, it doesn't appear to happen if I disable Mobile Data whilst connected to Wi-Fi... And yes, I've done the whole "reset network settings, restore, etc". I'm a bit baffled!

Any thoughts?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
If you have control over the wifi hotspot - check that. Reboot it. See if the settings are allowing enough IP addresses to be assigned to cover the number of devices you're trying to simultaneously connect.

mglivesey

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
If you have control over the wifi hotspot - check that. Reboot it. See if the settings are allowing enough IP addresses to be assigned to cover the number of devices you're trying to simultaneously connect.

Thanks!

I've done that, but to no avail unfortunately.

Mine is the only device connected to the WLAN at the moment, there are several free IP's, but still it keeps bumping me off.

Seems to happen 90% of the time when in Landscape view, never in Portrait.
I might send Marco Arment an email, I've tried everything else...

Thanks for your help :)

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Check idle settings on hot spot also or time out.

Check also channel hot spot is broadcasting. Other wifi around can cause issues.

msaxena18

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if this solution was posted before or not but this is what worked for me:

I use a Linksys WRT54G Router (old school one)
I have the lastest iOS 6.1.2 on iPhone 4S and iPad 3

I was not able to maintain a constant connection on my wifi network. When phone went to idle/sleep, I would have to connect once again to the wifi network, put my password again etc etc.

I narrowed it down to the fact it was a "wireless security" issue. Not the phone nor the router being an old one. I was using the WPA2-Personal (TKIP+AES). i changed it to WPA2-Personal (AES) and it worked without a hitch. I have been monitoring this for 2-3 days now and everytime I restart my iPhone 4S or even put it to sleep, it connectes to the wifi network just as it should - automatically.

I hope this might help someone :)

alicepattinson

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
It's not the phone having a problem, "I think" maybe it's your connection being slow or something. I agree with them, do a reset if the WiFi still keeps dropping.

fabio984

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I had this problem with my iPhone 4s and the wireless router at my work. All you have to do is enter your router page and change the channel. Try channel 11.

fightcrazy

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried either resetting the phone, or resetting your network connections?

Will resetting my network connections cause any loss of data?? Will I just have to rewrite my wifi password in again after resetting network? When working correctly will I always have to write my wifi password in because that is what I'm doing now. After my phone goes to sleep for a while I will loose my wifi connection. I have at least 5 other phones that this is not a problem with, Saying that my wifi network only has my laptop and one phone on at any given time so my network isn't over crowded. Any help will be well appreciated.
Thank You,
Vinny

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Will resetting my network connections cause any loss of data?? Will I just have to rewrite my wifi password in again after resetting network? When working correctly will I always have to write my wifi password in because that is what I'm doing now. After my phone goes to sleep for a while I will loose my wifi connection. I have at least 5 other phones that this is not a problem with, Saying that my wifi network only has my laptop and one phone on at any given time so my network isn't over crowded. Any help will be well appreciated.
Thank You,
Vinny

If the only devices on your Wi-Fi network are a "laptop and one phone" then you're right, you should have over-crowding issues, but I don't know how your Wi-Fi router is configured. If you reset your network settings then yes, you will have to re-configure your device to work on your Wi-Fi network. Have you tried rebooting the Wi-Fi router? Doing so often solves such problems. As a last resort, you can connect your device to your computer and restore it as new via iTunes and then see if you have any connection problems. By the way, try changing the password on your router just in case.

mynameis

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Sometimes my connection drops off the face of the earth. But I mozey on down to the basement, reconnect the router, and I'm all good. It only happens once in a blue moon.

HaloSlayer

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
I have the same problem. If I'm dealing with anything that requires wifi I can play for about 5 minutes before its starts to disconnect. If I'm playing a game, it will disconnect then reconnect then 2 seconds later it will disconnect again! It's really annoying

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro