Wife's iPhone XR shut off while charging, wouldn't respond until 12+ hours later

waqqas31

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
Hello community,

My wife was charging her XR in her car yesterday evening when it turned off by itself and was not responding to the extent that I figured it had bricked itself. I brought it with me to work, planning on visiting an Apple store to get an over-the-counter replacement. When I took it out of my bag to try once more while connecting it to a computer and iTunes, it surprisingly finally gave an indication of life (low battery screen). I plugged it in to a charger, it eventually powered up, and now I'm backing it up, just in case.

The phone was recently updated to 12.2, and since she got it, it has had about one incident a month where the phone becomes unresponsive and needed to be soft-reset, but this was the first time it exhibited no signs of life, whatsoever.

Does anyone have any insight as to what is going on and should I take it back to Apple and demand a replacement unit?

I added a screenshot which shows the phone was knocked out completely for a bit.

Attachments

• 717DA8E0-770F-4661-86EB-7BAEA50096D1.png
    717DA8E0-770F-4661-86EB-7BAEA50096D1.png
    434.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Given that there have been issues, I'd still consider scheduling a visit to the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store to have it checked out.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to iMore

My GFs daughter’s Xr had the same issue two weeks ago. It took 6 hours to respond and she’s running 12.1.4. I told her to take it to an Apple store but she never did. Hasn’t happened since

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Take it back to Apple, get her a new one,with what we pay for phones today there is no excuse for selling phones that regularly cease to function. After all, one of these incidents could coincide with a need for emergency help !

waqqas31

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
Sounds like the charger was bad.

I suspected the same thing, however, it was an Aukey-branded charger (this one) which we have been using with several phones over the years, so I was reluctant to attribute the problems back to it.

My cable is made by Baseus, what I'd like to believe is a better-than-average Chinese brand (I wanted one with an LED at the end.)

Either way, it's been back in her hands for less than 24 hours at this point. If it exhibits some more fits of unresponsiveness, it should be enough to convince her to take it in for a replacement over the weekend.

Thank you everyone for your feedback :)

MelCali82

Apr 5, 2016
Visit site
Not sure if it is the same issue but my phone just did not respond. My phone was not charging. I picked it up and screen would not turn on. I have tap to wake and raise to wake. Neither worked not even the power button. Plugging in charger did nothing. No battery/charging indicator.

Don't know if it's off or on and just not responding.

Found a youtube video for the iphone x where this happens and the solution worked for me.

Press vol up and let go, press vol down and let go, then hold down power button until you see apple logo.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Airwaysoffices