Why would someone do such a thing?

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Newton's third law is: For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

• Action: You purchase a $1000 Apple device.
  • Reaction: You don't have any funds left over to play the power bill.

A person is responsible for THEIR OWN actions. The person you should be pointing the finger at is YOURSELF.

Grow up, folks. The only two things in life you're entitled to is taxes and death.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
This is like someone buying a $250,000 Bentley and then complaining their Bentley cost $250,000.

This OP seems a bit elitist to me.

Low blow. How is asking why people complain about the price of something they bought on their own accord elitist?

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Why would someone complain about the high cost of the iPhone X and then proceeds to buy it, and after buying it, spends each day complaining about not getting his or her money’s worth? In addition, when it is recommended that he or she return it for a full refund within the return period, he or she refuses and then goes on to complain about how the electricity was almost disconnected because he or she paid too much for the iPhone X.

What the heck is wrong with people these days?

This is oddly specific lol. Tell that person that they should really re-evaluate their priorities if their lights are getting cut off lol. That's a problem lol.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
The price was too damn high.

And you still bought one.

I still feel stupid paying so much for it.

Still, you bought it.

The total cost of the device, after AppleCare+, was almost $1,500.

Yet you still bought it.

No phone should ever cost that much.

But it does... and you bought it.

This OP seems a bit elitist to me.

Yes, the person D is talking about does seem elitist. You would have to be an elitist to spend that much and then afterwards complain about the cost. Or it could be they just bought it for status, or to just complain. Oh wait....

ssbtech

Jul 1, 2016
Visit site
Can't comment about the electric bill, but anyone who spends $1,000+ on a cell phone better speak up when it falls short of expectations otherwise the company continues to pump out absolute junk.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
And you still bought one.

Still, you bought it.

Yet you still bought it.

But it does... and you bought it.

Yes, the person D is talking about does seem elitist. You would have to be an elitist to spend that much and then afterwards complain about the cost. Or it could be they just bought it for status, or to just complain. Oh wait....

I purchased one? I wasn't aware. Thanks for pointing that out. You left out the part that I could afford to purchase one.

BTW, I can purchase one and still complain about the stupid high price.

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
The price was too damn high. I could afford a 256GB iPhone X, but I still feel stupid paying so much for it. The total cost of the device, after AppleCare+, was almost $1,500. No phone should ever cost that much.

That would be near $2130AUD here. Do i think its worth it? Probably not and i probably wont spend near those dollars again not on a X design anyway.
Especially when except for the better camera you can do everything you can do on a IP8/8plus for way less than half. Especially pairing with a iPad and iMac.

In the last 6 months i have bought 3 x 8 series phones for family all around 3 weeks old as new for:

8 plus 256gb=$800
8 256GB=$600
8 64GB with AC+=$750 (currently using)

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Can't comment about the electric bill, but anyone who spends $1,000+ on a cell phone better speak up when it falls short of expectations otherwise the company continues to pump out absolute junk.

People not buying speaks a heck of a lot louder than people complaining.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
TBH (for me) $700-800 phones are overpriced. Do I still buy them? *looks at my Pixel 2 XL 128 GB* yep .. Because I can't get a top tier without it. These companies aren't dumb lol. Sure they may be overpriced when you break it down but that is where it comes down to you as a person -- is it worth for you?

Some people pay insane for their cars with modifications and such... Something I would never do. I got my truck, added rails, and got the dealer to pay for a Rhino Liner. Other then that I am good. No jacking it up, going nuts, and all that. Do some people do it? Well .. of course.

I have a friend with a Note 4. Been replacing batteries and carrying on with his cracked screen. Still runs so he refuses to upgrade. Good for him -- for me? Hell no. No way I could do that lol.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Trusted Member
Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
TBH (for me) $700-800 phones are overpriced. Do I still buy them?

I agree....and no I'm not looking at rumored Pixel 3 specs (realizes store tab is up and quickly kills it)...lol

To a degree one can argue that when you pay for a flagship device, you are also (generally) getting software support behind it. This argument would be a lot different if someone bought a flagship phone, and 6 months in the OEM made a statement that they wouldn't update it anymore. I would be six degrees of livid if that happened to me.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
The savvy shopper knows he/she can easily get on an interest free payment plan with their carrier OR directly with Apple. (Samsung and other Android based brands have similar programs) IF you want a flagship from a top brand it's going to cost in the 800-1200 range now. IF you can't manage that even with payments then there are plenty of other more affordable options out there.

Vega007

Jan 24, 2018
Visit site
People love to complain, we are living in the age of complaining and protesting. Too much coddling going on and people have to be stroked and cuddled if they feel hurt. Sad part is, they will find people to cuddle them even when they are the ones making the idiotic decisions. I believe in hard truth, it's the only way to grow as a person. If you can not afford it, don't buy it. If you buy it and can't afford it, that is on you and no one else. The day Apple forces you to buy their products is when I will say I was wrong. Of course, that would also be the day I would be forced to take up arms lol.

B_Ross

Jul 31, 2018
Visit site
entitlement seems to be a big issue with human behavior, I see it all over. Why not just not buy the iphone x. Not like life will be much different without it, at least for me, I'm ok with holding older models of just about everything for a few years, freedom is more important.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
The point is this: Why did the person hold on to a device that allegedly didn’t meet his or her expectations from day one? In truth, was the person unhappy with the device or simply ticked off at him or herself for getting it knowing it would put a strain on his or her finances? In either case, why didn’t the person return the device within the return period? I think the person was basically ticked off at him or herself for spending that much money for it. In addition, he or she truly like the iPhone X, but just feel that it’s not worth the money paid for it. What say you?

Some people love misery and then have nothing better to do but spread it around. We can only change ourself. We can’t really help others unless they want to e helped.

Al Paca

Aug 10, 2018
Visit site
The point is this: Why did the person hold on to a device that allegedly didn’t meet his or her expectations from day one? In truth, was the person unhappy with the device or simply ticked off at him or herself for getting it knowing it would put a strain on his or her finances? In either case, why didn’t the person return the device within the return period? I think the person was basically ticked off at him or herself for spending that much money for it. In addition, he or she truly like the iPhone X, but just feel that it’s not worth the money paid for it. What say you?

Sounds like OCPD...Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder which is different than OCD.

In this instance the buyer has a compulsion to buy and an equal compulsion to insert themselves into situations where they draw attention to the behavior and oneself.

The obsession makes the purchase necessary, the return impossible, and all requires the attention of others. It’s more common than people think. In this case it’s illustrated in their iPhone issues, but I bet if you know them well there are other examples.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
While I bought my X in full and I do like the technology involved in Apple's products it still doesn't excuse the price point. The days of flip phones that were not OS driven is long gone. Now its two camps, iOS or Android, and frankly I am not jazzed about the Pixel line but I do like what Android has offered. iOS just happens to what my family uses and for me it works. That still doesn't mean i find the every increasing price point acceptable and this year will likely be the first time I get my iPhone and actually keep it a few years. The upgrade benefits year over year are not as relevant as they were in the past. Triple lens next year, not a big deal. Not having 5G for 2-3 years, that could be a big deal, but given 5G is not fully rolled out its not critical, but if you plan to buy a phone as some do and actually use it for 3-5 years as some actually do then your upgrade cycle sucks as you will not benefit for a long time.

Every company has the right to set their prices and the consumer has the right to not buy it, but Apple pays their workers crap and allows their vendors to pay them crap at their plants. So regardless of the cost of living in China vs the US Apple can and should do more given the global dependence.

Plus if they get hit with tariffs we are going to pay even more.

kcox52692

Mar 21, 2017
Visit site
We're talking Apple here, Apple usually doesn't put our junk. All major high end companies like Apple or Samsung...etc.... will have glitches from time to time. Samsung had a major one with the Note 7 but they rebounded quite well.

Don't buy a flagship phone when it comes out, let the manufacturer work the bugs out. Else don't complain.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods