Why the iphone 5 is better than the galaxy s3

Status
Not open for further replies.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Sean, while I absolutely understand your point of view, I'm not sure I can subscribe. (Yes, point #3 above IS absurd.) Sure the "sue me and I'll sue you" crap is stupid and a waste of everyone's time and resources... but how is a company to protect it's intellectual property and design patents? Clearly they have a right do defend themselves (everyone does, NOT just Apple or Samsung or HP or any specific company/entity)... but I am definitely leaning towards the "can't we all just get along" camp. I say we include everything in FRAND and just license it between companies. It would be like "Apple, you invented/discovered this. Samsung, you invented/discovered that. Microsoft, you created this. Now, just play nice and let everyone share your toys". For a reasonable fee, of course.

Oh no, trust me, i think they were purely justified in the suit (though i think the continued banter back and forth is a bit ridiculous)...i was referring strictly to this being used to show which phone was better (in any case really, not just iPhone vs. GSIII). What i was essentially saying was that nothing within an opinion on the lawsuit is a legitimate comparison stance between which phone is better than which...and nothing within those lawsuits helps better the phones at all (as it s development...regardless of legitimacy on either side).

Goofypook

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
I've had an iPhone since the original came out. It wasn't until earlier this year I tried something else. I tried the Lumia 900 for awhile and now have been using the Galaxy Nexus for a good while now. I don't know why we get locked into these debates over which is best. For intents and purposes I will just compare Android and iOS; to me all Android phones are the same but either with a skin or no skin. Better is subjective and no one will ever agree. They are just different, but not really.

Honestly, after using Android IMHO it's literally the exact same thing as an iPhone. The only difference is that you can customize it and swap out stuff like keyboards, spring boards, and really what ever else you want to do. But at the most basic level with stock Jelly Bean, it's the freaking exact same thing. Rows of app icons on the screen. There isn't a single thing Android does that I couldn't do on my iPhone usability wise. In fact there are several things I miss from iOS such as the universal inbox; I hate email on Android. The only thing the iPhone can't do is customize the OS and phone to your liking. That's really it IMO. The apps even all have the exact same UI, function the same, and display the same content.

When I got into customizing and messing with Android though is when I actually started to like it the least. After loading up a new spring board and trying to make it look really cool I found that in every day use I was forgetting how to do something. Many times I was like, wait what happened; oh yea I changed that two days ago. So now I'm on stock Jelly Bean. I find I use it just like my iPhone. Widgets were neat for about a day. Then I found they were just in the way and didn't really give me any useful information. Some apps are lacking. I haven't yet found a good basic list app. I also haven't found a comparable bill reminder app either that I like. Many apps also ask for ridiculous permissions such as a list app I tried wanted permission to see my phone calls. Then every time I got a call this little pop up that was completely useless would come up. Lots of apps are like that.

I am in love with swiftkey 3 I will admit. Apple should buy them because this keyboard rocks hard and blows away anything else on any platform. While I do find the big screens nice when reading stuff I do get annoyed when UI elements are poorly laid out and I have to stretch my thumb across the screen. But bigger doesn't mean better to me. It's just different.

I'll sum it up. The S3 just doesn't bring anything to the table that wows me and is like I must have that. Big screen; that's cool. More RAM; neat. SD card slot; OK. NFC; maybe some day it will be useful. Wireless charging; now that's interesting. Touch screen that works with gloves, say what? A hardware stabilized camera; haven't seen that before in a phone. Un-scratchable polycarbonate body! Where can I get one of those? Oh yea; it's called the Lumia 920. Give me something something I haven't seen before and I'm interested. But the S3; been there done that.

In the end though I've found I want to spend time actually using my phone and just pick it up and go. I don't want to spend weeks getting everything little thing tweaked. I'd rather spend all that time living instead of setting up my phone in an endless loop of customization.

But this debate will never end and is useless really. It's no different than debating if green peppers are a better pizza topping than onions. Or that the Xbox 360 is better than the PS3. Everyone likes what they like and buys what they want to buy. Why does that seem to get people so bent out of shape?

So are you going back to the Iphone, or are you content with what you have?

Pjr772

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I've had an iPhone since the original came out. It wasn't until earlier this year I tried something else. I tried the Lumia 900 for awhile and now have been using the Galaxy Nexus for a good while now. I don't know why we get locked into these debates over which is best. For intents and purposes I will just compare Android and iOS; to me all Android phones are the same but either with a skin or no skin. Better is subjective and no one will ever agree. They are just different, but not really.

Honestly, after using Android IMHO it's literally the exact same thing as an iPhone. The only difference is that you can customize it and swap out stuff like keyboards, spring boards, and really what ever else you want to do. But at the most basic level with stock Jelly Bean, it's the freaking exact same thing. Rows of app icons on the screen. There isn't a single thing Android does that I couldn't do on my iPhone usability wise. In fact there are several things I miss from iOS such as the universal inbox; I hate email on Android. The only thing the iPhone can't do is customize the OS and phone to your liking. That's really it IMO. The apps even all have the exact same UI, function the same, and display the same content.

When I got into customizing and messing with Android though is when I actually started to like it the least. After loading up a new spring board and trying to make it look really cool I found that in every day use I was forgetting how to do something. Many times I was like, wait what happened; oh yea I changed that two days ago. So now I'm on stock Jelly Bean. I find I use it just like my iPhone. Widgets were neat for about a day. Then I found they were just in the way and didn't really give me any useful information. Some apps are lacking. I haven't yet found a good basic list app. I also haven't found a comparable bill reminder app either that I like. Many apps also ask for ridiculous permissions such as a list app I tried wanted permission to see my phone calls. Then every time I got a call this little pop up that was completely useless would come up. Lots of apps are like that.

I am in love with swiftkey 3 I will admit. Apple should buy them because this keyboard rocks hard and blows away anything else on any platform. While I do find the big screens nice when reading stuff I do get annoyed when UI elements are poorly laid out and I have to stretch my thumb across the screen. But bigger doesn't mean better to me. It's just different.

I'll sum it up. The S3 just doesn't bring anything to the table that wows me and is like I must have that. Big screen; that's cool. More RAM; neat. SD card slot; OK. NFC; maybe some day it will be useful. Wireless charging; now that's interesting. Touch screen that works with gloves, say what? A hardware stabilized camera; haven't seen that before in a phone. Un-scratchable polycarbonate body! Where can I get one of those? Oh yea; it's called the Lumia 920. Give me something something I haven't seen before and I'm interested. But the S3; been there done that.

In the end though I've found I want to spend time actually using my phone and just pick it up and go. I don't want to spend weeks getting everything little thing tweaked. I'd rather spend all that time living instead of setting up my phone in an endless loop of customization.

That just sealed the deal for me. I upgraded my 4s to the 5 on launch day and since then I have been back and forth with wanting to give the s3 a try. Been to verizon 3 times to just play with it and every time I left with my 5 still in hand. Your right, at the end of the day I just want to pick my phone up an use it and not worrying about tweaking things to get them right. An unjailbroken iPhone may not have the flexibility that android has but "it just works" perfect the way it is.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Oh no, trust me, i think they were purely justified in the suit (though i think the continued banter back and forth is a bit ridiculous)...i was referring strictly to this being used to show which phone was better (in any case really, not just iPhone vs. GSIII). What i was essentially saying was that nothing within an opinion on the lawsuit is a legitimate comparison stance between which phone is better than which...and nothing within those lawsuits helps better the phones at all (as it s development...regardless of legitimacy on either side).

We're on the same page, my friend.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
First off im sorry that you are Lazy... Im not trolling at all, and never said i was a droid guy. I stated I preffered the droid. To me there is no such thing as a droid guy because there are 10,000 different droid models as apposed to one iphone?? I have never owned an iphone and have nothing against someone who does...but for me to compare the two would be foolish and reckless since i have never used an Iphone...Hence trying to get more information? Obviously I have struck a nerve and you feel the need to defend yourself. Calm down Chuck, its not that serious...

Are you saying you can't talk about why you prefer your S3? Just trying to help you out is all.

jtexans

May 25, 2012
Visit site
Going from pure Android (NS4G) to iP5, here is what I'm not a fan of so far on iOS:

1. Lack of widgets. I would like to speed dial/text a contact by just 1-clicking on an icon...instead, I have to go into Phone app then look under Favorites then click on person.
2. No SWYPE. This has been the hardest transition.
3. Proprietary accessory/hardware. I have so many useless universal, micro-USB cords sitting around. But I get it...it's all about selling a $3 cord for $29.99.
4. No native Google Talk app.
5. Lack of NFC. I still have some money left in my Google Wallet account. But NFC won't be huge until Apple says it's the next big thing.

What I enjoy about the iP5:
1. Awesome battery life - No need to have 4 micro-USB cords sitting around all over your desk, car, etc..
2. Plenty of accessories to pick from.
3. Very user friendly.

I thoroughly enjoyed rooting/jailbreaking/homebrew on my Palm Pre via WebOS and adding in the latest and greatest ROM for my Nexus, but after awhile, I got bored with it.

I'll probably get bored with my iP5 and give it to my wife in less than a year. Not sure what I'll get next.

Goofypook

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Are you saying you can't talk about why you prefer your S3? Just trying to help you out is all.

I think you are missing the point... I never came out and said I prefer the S3 over anything? I just stated that I have an S3? A month ago I was sporting a Maxx... I cant say I would prefer this phone over an Iphone, because as i have stated I have never had an Iphone???? Not to mention I never asked anyone what they preferred.... I asked why is it better, and numerous people have given legitimite reasos, which I greatly appreciate! You told me to go look at numerous posts regarding this debate, and it is miles and miles of back and for Garbage! For people to whine and about each others phones is pointless. All I was looking for was people who have been fans of the Iphone to share with me why they chose that device...Thats it, and thanks to those who have.....

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I think you are missing the point... I never came out and said I prefer the S3 over anything? I just stated that I have an S3? A month ago I was sporting a Maxx... I cant say I would prefer this phone over an Iphone, because as i have stated I have never had an Iphone???? Not to mention I never asked anyone what they preferred.... I asked why is it better, and numerous people have given legitimite reasos, which I greatly appreciate! You told me to go look at numerous posts regarding this debate, and it is miles and miles of back and for Garbage! For people to whine and about each others phones is pointless. All I was looking for was people who have been fans of the Iphone to share with me why they chose that device...Thats it, and thanks to those who have.....

Perhaps you should read the title of this thread. You did name it after all and you specifically mentioned the S3. You even stated you had the S3. All I did was ask why you prefer it. Why so defensive? It merely gives us insight on what you value in a smartphone.

sunrat39

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
This whole thread is a fail. OP I understand you are trying compare between the two phones but there are countless articles out there. Plus, sooner or later this will turn into a flame war.

Goofypook

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Perhaps you should read the title of this thread. You did name it after all and you specifically mentioned the S3. You even stated you had the S3. All I did was ask why you prefer it. Why so defensive? It merely gives us insight on what you value in a smartphone.

Card perhaps maybe it's you that needs to take another glance at the posts? When did you ever ask me why I prefer the S3? Please quote because I must have missed it in between you calling me a noob and troll...

Goofypook

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
This whole thread is a fail. OP I understand you are trying compare between the two phones but there are countless articles out there. Plus, sooner or later this will turn into a flame war.

The only fail here is if continue to do your best to turn this into a flame war. I understand that there are countless articles, but the point of this post was so intelligent Iphone users could specify what they like about their iphones and why they think its better...Not some "expert" who spent a week playing with both phones...Who cares what they think. This isnt about an argument its about YOU having an Iphone and why YOU like it without some knucklehead coming on here and telling you your stupid for having an Iphone...

You took the title and ran with it with little regard with anything else I said in my initial post....

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Goofy...keep in mind that for the last 2 weeks (round about), 99.999999999999% of the threads in this nature have been ones that start like yours but end up having the OP resort to the typical BS. People are a bit shell shocked (for lack of better term), and this is why you're being confronted with this kind of response. Just work your way through the muck, it'll clear up when the threads about comparison's and/or people's opinions of each of the phones you asked about are more legitimate and less useless drivel.

Goofypook

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Goofy...keep in mind that for the last 2 weeks (round about), 99.999999999999% of the threads in this nature have been ones that start like yours but end up having the OP resort to the typical BS. People are a bit shell shocked (for lack of better term), and this is why you're being confronted with this kind of response. Just work your way through the muck, it'll clear up when the threads about comparison's and/or people's opinions of each of the phones you asked about are more legitimate and less useless drivel.

Understand your point Sean, I was hoping since this was an Apple based site I would get more of a Apple perspective and less Android folks that would be here manly to sling mudd around. And for the most part thats what we have had, and I am liking all the good posts from Iphone folks, because it was exactly what I was looking for. The thought process was to have a rational conversation, without the fear of backlash...

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to have to go with the interoperability of the iPhone across the entire Apple product line. If works seamlessly with my MacBook Pro... and in many cases shares the apps with my iPad... including stuff like AirPlay on my big screen (Samsung) TV via the AppleTV device.

The second thing that keeps me here is the apps/AppStore. Apple has the edge in apps, IMHO. My son-in-law got a Nexus 7 tablet - and while it's not necessarily germane to this discussion, it showed me that some/many of my "go to" apps simply are not available on the Android platform or in their app store.

Finally, I like the size. The iPhone 5 has the larger screen, but it's still "phone size" and not a small tablet size.

I guess, like with most things in life, it comes down to personal preferences... and for me, the iPhone just fits and just works. Perhaps that's why Mr Baskins and Mr Robbins got together and sell 31 flavors - to each his own.

sau124

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
the real big one for me was that iPhone holds value - if you have a 3GS today it is still worth $50 for a decent condition. And the 4S is worth $450 for a good condition. So pretty much every year if you maintain and take good care of the phone you can buy a new one with 0 down. I have owned all the phone and have kept them, but my roomate has her traded every year. She had to pay $100 once between the 3GS and 4 and thats about it... think value in this economy...

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Card perhaps maybe it's you that needs to take another glance at the posts? When did you ever ask me why I prefer the S3? Please quote because I must have missed it in between you calling me a noob and troll...

Since you didn't prove otherwise, i'll go with my initial impressions. Good luck with whatever it is you want to know.

Goofypook

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
the real big one for me was that iPhone holds value - if you have a 3GS today it is still worth $50 for a decent condition. And the 4S is worth $450 for a good condition. So pretty much every year if you maintain and take good care of the phone you can buy a new one with 0 down. I have owned all the phone and have kept them, but my roomate has her traded every year. She had to pay $100 once between the 3GS and 4 and thats about it... think value in this economy...

I think this is an excellent point! There is only one Iphone, yet there are hundreds of comparable droids which waters down the value to consumer....Supply and Demand. In your opinion or anyones for that matter, would it be a hinderence if someone chose to buy a 3GS today? What im getting at, is the 3gs compatible to what apple is doing today i.e ios 6, new itunes, icloud, etc....

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I think this is an excellent point! There is only one Iphone, yet there are hundreds of comparable droids which waters down the value to consumer....Supply and Demand. In your opinion or anyones for that matter, would it be a hinderence if someone chose to buy a 3GS today? What im getting at, is the 3gs compatible to what apple is doing today i.e ios 6, new itunes, icloud, etc....

Honestly, i would't go back past the iPhone 4...the 3GS is what the 3G was with iOS 4, it's a dinosaur in tech years, and you can tell by the amount of features it didn't get with iOS 6. For it's time, it was a front runner, but now it's simply too old, like buying a tube TV vs. a flat panel of some sort, just no comparison honestly. It's value has also hit rock bottom, so you're getting really nothing for them these days, i think i actually saw an iPod Touch 3rd gen going for more than the 3GS, which is funny to me given the iPod Touch is essentially the same thing without the phone capability.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Just to touch on the audio aspect: Having used Android devices in the past, I find the audio quality compared to any
iPhone to really be sub-par. I consider myself an audiophile and am pretty anal about the sound quality of the music
I listen to. There is just something intangible about the sound quality with Apple devices that no Android manufacturer
can duplicate. I've used Samsung, HTC, Motorola, and LG devices. I could never grasp myself around using them as
my go-to music players.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Hello all, Im posting this here because I would like an honest constructive answer to this question. I myself am not an IPHONE guy, and have always preferred Droid(main reason is I dont like being restricted). I know there are millions upon millons of Iphone fans, and im hoping you can tell me why you are and will always be an Iphone person. Things that are un needed in this discussion:

1. I like Iphone because droid sucks-thats not a reason and tells me nothing.
2. Iphone is cool??? what does this even mean...
3.Because ive always had one...Well WHY??

Im not trying to start a great debate, I just want to know what REAL Iphone fans love about their phones and why they will only have Iphones and never consider anything else. Also for this discussion I would like to leave out any mentions of Jailbreaking/Rooting. I think its irrelevant to a good majority of folks and I am trying to find out what makes this a better product than the S3 coming straight out of the Box.

FYI I have an S3. Thanks in advance for keeping it civial and informative!!

I've had 2 iPhones in the past 5 months, the 4S (which I gave to my son) & now the 5. I got the 5 because I missed my large screen & it helped pacify me. I decided to stick with the iPhone over getting an Android device because of the OS updates and the fact that it works seamlessly with my MacBook & iPad 3. I'm a tech junky & shopaholic so I decided I didn't want to buy a new phone as often as I use to and Apple makes that task a bit easier because I know my phone is going to get the next OS update that is released. I still love Android but with iPhone my 5 will be relevant for at least a couple years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR