Why no LED

jonathon

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Are you aware that using the LED camera flash as a notification light is one of the features of iOS 5?

That personally isn't a great upgrade to me, because who wants a light flashing behind their phone for a notification? That'd be very battery wasting. I miss the little light on my DROID X when I had a text, facebook, etc.

Reactions: BrindawithanI

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Once upon a time I had a Treo 650. It had a light. We used to use apps to make it blink at different rates in different colours for different things. Then I upgraded to the Treo 700 which had no light. At first I missed the light like crazy (compare to a BB user). Then I realized that I turned the thing on so often to look at one thing or another, there was no way I'd miss anything anyway, and I haven't looked back. None of the smartphones I've used in between the Treo and the iPhone have had led lights.

dsmith3427

Banned
Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
That personally isn't a great upgrade to me, because who wants a light flashing behind their phone for a notification? That'd be very battery wasting. I miss the little light on my DROID X when I had a text, facebook, etc.

I hear you about the back LED. Pretty much seems like a stop-gap measure by Apple because if that's what they are going to do as visual notifications in the future, it's a waste of battery power and no real benefit. I really believe we will see the light this fall on IP 5.

Last edited:

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
when i switched from a BB i thought i would miss it as well. it's just something you'll get over.. i couldn't give two $hits if Apple follows suit

anon4705295

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Once upon a time I had a Treo 650. It had a light. We used to use apps to make it blink at different rates in different colours for different things. Then I upgraded to the Treo 700 which had no light. At first I missed the light like crazy (compare to a BB user). Then I realized that I turned the thing on so often to look at one thing or another, there was no way I'd miss anything anyway, and I haven't looked back. None of the smartphones I've used in between the Treo and the iPhone have had led lights.

Ditto! Missed the BB light initially, and then I realized I check my phone so much anyway that I really don't miss it. Just me, though. If we could turn it off I'm totally cool with having one!

dsmith3427

Banned
Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
when i switched from a BB i thought i would miss it as well. it's just something you'll get over.. i couldn't give two $hits if Apple follows suit

Yeah I hear you but unfortunately its something I just can't "get over". In my workplace phones need to be silenced which mean the only way I can see if I have email (other than checking the computer), text, or missed call/vmail is to keep checking the phone where as with my blackberry all I had to do is wait for the light to blink. Hopefully Apple will do something in the fall.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

The Treo 700 could have been the worst phone i have ever owned...i literally despised using it.

Stickboy46

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I have yet to see a compelling reason in this entire thread to NOT have one. The only reasons i have seen is A: I dont want it, which isnt a reason thats an opinion and B: It would mess up the looks.

For B: I ask any of you to take a look at an HTC EVO. It has a notification light and its behind the speaker grill. Since you know its there you will probably say that would bother you. Well a little known fact is that the EVO actually has TWO LED notification lights. One on the left side of the grill for notifications but also one on the right side. Hardly anyone ever knows that one is there because its not being used. It was put in there to notify of a Wimax connection but never made it into the final software. So to me that tells me that Apple COULD put in an LED that could be turned off and no one would know it was even there.

IMO its the biggest feature missing now. Especially if they allowed custom colors for notifications (ie red for email, blue for text, green for missed calls etc)

Reactions: redbeard

dsmith3427

Banned
Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I have yet to see a compelling reason in this entire thread to NOT have one. The only reasons i have seen is A: I dont want it, which isnt a reason thats an opinion and B: It would mess up the looks.

For B: I ask any of you to take a look at an HTC EVO. It has a notification light and its behind the speaker grill. Since you know its there you will probably say that would bother you. Well a little known fact is that the EVO actually has TWO LED notification lights. One on the left side of the grill for notifications but also one on the right side. Hardly anyone ever knows that one is there because its not being used. It was put in there to notify of a Wimax connection but never made it into the final software. So to me that tells me that Apple COULD put in an LED that could be turned off and no one would know it was even there.

IMO its the biggest feature missing now. Especially if they allowed custom colors for notifications (ie red for email, blue for text, green for missed calls etc)

Well said. I keep checking in on this thread and you're right. All I keep reading is "it ruins the look", "it's not apple like", "It makes you a slave", "I don't want it", "you don't need it", etc. The best I read was that an LED is for disabled people and it's not meant for use by everyone. I just really hope they put one on there to increase the functionality of the device for me at least in a business like setting.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
When I first left the BlackBerry World, I missed the red notification light. A few years later, and now I don't even think about it.

I think I prefer the iPhone WITHOUT a notification light...

chadec

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
I have to agree on not being able to see the proximity sensor on the black iPhone 4. I've been staring at it looking where I know it is and still unless I'm on a call at night it is completely invisible. The proximity sensor is an infrared LED. So if one LED is invisible when it is inactive why wouldn't another? Putting it behind the speaker grille is another option that is also suited for the white iPhone. The home button would be harder to implement between the two colors but not impossible. A visual notification system is possible without being as immediately apparent as it is on a BlackBerry. I hated the placement of the LED light on my BB 8100, it was slightly better on the 8310, 8900 and 9700 but it still was a slight eyesore when it was off. It can be done. Should it be done? I wouldn't complain about it and say that Steve or Apple was selling out just because they added a feature that makes sense to have. Whether you personally want to use it or not, it does make sense to have and Apple realizes that otherwise why add the Accessibility feature?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerrytg4