Why my iPhone 5s Touch ID stopped working?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to iMore! If your Touch ID stopped working directly after dropping your phone I'm 99% confident you damaged something, probably your home button. You can try to restore to see if it fixes your problem but I honestly doubt that it will.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Ok,home button,but why the battery drains fast?

Apple's iPhone batteries are designed to retain 80% of their original capacity for 500 full charge cycles. If you've had your iPhone for a few years now accelerated battery drain is normal. Go to Settings > Battery and look at your usage. What are you seeing?

Some people tell me is a hardware problem,I don't know what to say:(
If it's a hardware problem you'll have to have your device serviced. If you have AppleCare+ have Apple service it. Otherwise take it into a reputable repair shop and see what they can do.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
If it's a hardware problem you'll have to have your device serviced. If you have AppleCare+ have Apple service it. Otherwise take it into a reputable repair shop and see what they can do.

With the Error 53 codes generated I would try to find a way to send to Apple to make sure it's done properly. If that's not possible definitely make sure the shop is certified to make the repair. With the security involved in TouchID you want it done right!

dominicaf

Feb 14, 2016
Visit site
Let's take it this way. I fully charge my phone,unplug it and go to sleep (about 11pm) when I wake up in the morning (at 8am) the battery percentage is 30%. Is that normal?

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Let's take it this way. I fully charge my phone,unplug it and go to sleep (about 11pm) when I wake up in the morning (at 8am) the battery percentage is 30%. Is that normal?

No, that is not normal. It sounds like your battery is going on you IMHO.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site

Definitely not normal. Have Apple run a diagnostic on the battery. They won't charge you for the diagnostic.

dominicaf

Feb 14, 2016
Visit site
I've done the diagnostics online,I don't know if that is ok,I'm in Italy so for everything they charge you -_- and the nearest Apple Store is 60 km away,but I will go to see what they say when I'll have some time

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Well,I'll go to a Apple Store and see what happens.. Anyway,thanks for y'all help

You can check your battery with this test:
Battery test
Write down your usage and standby time, press the sleep/wake button (or lock button, as some call it) to put the device to sleep, and set the device down for five minutes. When you come back, take note of the change in time. If your device is sleeping properly, then the Standby time should have increased by five minutes and your Usage time by <1 minute. If your Usage time rises by more than one minute, you have a drain problem. Something is keeping your device from sleeping properly, significantly shortening the time it will last.

Kumar Subramaniam1

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
it could be damage with your home button of flex cable of your connector, better your exchange our mobile, if you try to fix it with local service center it may not be work properly.