Why is this watch so useless on its own???

helriser

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
I've waited a long time before buying a watch. All I wanted was something I could use to run my workout apps and few other essential apps WITHOUT my phone.

I read a lot about apps being native on the watch itself which I thought meant said apps could run on their own without iphone nearby.

So yesterday, I received my first gen apple watch and I uploaded a few meaningful apps, some of which I have listed below.

Gymgoal 2; this is the absolute best workout app for ios. I got sick and tired of pulling my phone out of my pocket every 5 mins at the gym to log exercises, so I figured it would be easier to do that on the watch. I expected limited usage on the watch but to need my iphone near by is lame when the app itself doesn't even require gps or the internet to function.

Carrot; another weight and workout app that again, doesn't work without phone. This app isn't even complex, in function but still needs iphone just to show me something on the watch screen. Well, I might as well look it up on the iphone in that case right?

I have plenty of other apps besides a calculator that need the iphone. So my question is, is it apple that won't give devs the permission to un-tether these apps or just lazy devs?

It seems like only a small batch of apps can work without iphone nearby.

I feel like I just wasted my money since what I was hoping to accomplish is not at all possible. Local apps that do not require internet or gps to work should not require iphone to work on the watch. I thought apps would just sync their data with the iphone to keep things current but this apple watch is now a $200 notification receiver.

smh

helriser

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
...hmm ok maybe I should have checked that. I guess a samsung gear s2 is what really suits me, but don't have an android phone. I just don't see how apple's been bragging about all the developer apps available for their watch when they are all handicapped. I would like if I forgot my iphone at home to at least have some basic access to some apps I use often. Well, maybe when series 3 or 4 come out. I'll be returning this for now.

helriser

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
So far just ONE app works without the iphone. Just ONE. I wonder if that dev just snuck it in past apple. Even the calculator (which I thought worked) doesn't work. Big fail on apple's part as far as I"m concerned.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
...hmm ok maybe I should have checked that. I guess a samsung gear s2 is what really suits me, but don't have an android phone.
Are you saying that the Gear S2 needs an Android phone just like the first gen. Watch needs the iPhone?
I just don't see how apple's been bragging about all the developer apps available for their watch when they are all handicapped.
Apple and numerous tech blog and news site made it perfectly clear that you must have an iPhone in order for you to use the first generation Watch.
I would like if I forgot my iphone at home to at least have some basic access to some apps I use often. Well, maybe when series 3 or 4 come out. I'll be returning this for now.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205547

I'm sorry that the Watch you purchased didn't suit your needs, but hopefully, one day it will.

helriser

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
Are you saying that the Gear S2 needs an Android phone just like the first gen. Watch needs the iPhone? Apple and numerous tech blog and news site made it perfectly clear that you must have an iPhone in order for you to use the first generation Watch.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205547

I'm sorry that the Watch you purchased didn't suit your needs, but hopefully, one day it will.

1. Yes the gear s2 needs a phone to set up, but most apps can be used without phone near by.

2. I don't mind needing a phone for setup and tweaks, but for every app already on the watch is quite silly.

3. Yes, I hope watch 3 or 4 will suit my needs.

thx

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
the first gen. Watch needs the iPhone?
To be fair, the second gen Watches, Series 1 and Series 2 need the iPhone just as much, with the exception of the S2's GPS. I can live with that.

but for every app already on the watch is quite silly.
As is your assertion. Again, in the interest of fairness, it's not every app on the phone as pointed out in the link you were given. Apparently the phone is needed for all but one of the apps you want to use. Not every device is for everybody.

Hopefully when v.3 or 4 comes out you'll do your due diligence and spare yourself much angst and helrising. Here's to v.3 or 4 being a better fit for you.

helriser

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
Hello again,

I the spirit of brother hood, I did some heavy research and got you guys some links to ALL native apple watch apps that do not require iphone. However, if said app needs internet and your watch is not connected to a wifi, then it will need your phone's LTE or it won't work, just like facebook won't work on your iphone if you have no internet connection.

This list has all the most apps:
https://www.reddit.com/r/AppleWatch/comments/3lukn9/list_of_native_watchos_2_apps_and_complications/

These two are just redundancies:

Top 8 | Native watchOS 2 Apps for Apple Watch
10 must-have Apple Watch apps making the most of watchOS 2 | Macworld

I know you have a native app thread already, but I find it quite empty.

Anyway, finally found a calculator, running app, and sleeping app that work as I would expect without iphone around. I guess I'll keep this watch after all.

: )

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox