Why is there no Stock Weather App for the Mini?

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
what's interesting is that the other day after I uploaded a program from Cydia, I got a bunch of white app icons on my screen that were blank and some programs that I'd hidden. Of of these icons was the stock weather icon (like I do have on my 4S). When I clicked on the icon the weather program popped up for an instance before it closed; it was blank and small in the center of the screen and it had some text at the top, which I could not read because it didn't stay open that long.

I just got my ipad mini the other day and promptly updated to 6.1.2 and then did the evasiOn jailbreak... but it was interesting that the stock weather icon is there in the system...

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
Why not use the weather Channel app?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

I actually use WeatherBug and TWC but it's nice to have that quick pull down screen on the NC with the stock weather app like I have on my 4s.. No big deal really, I was just curious...

ridiculocity

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
IMO it's ridiculous that all new iPads with siri don't have weather app. It's obviously there as those who jailbroke with evasi0n 1.0 discovered Apple actually hide a low res version in the OS so Siri can get weather results. Wouldn't take much to upgrade the app to ipad. I'd love to have the weather in my notification screen.

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
It kinda makes sense not to have a stock weather app on a wi-fi only iPad - it can only pull up info when it is connected, and not everyone has wi-fi in, say, their home, so it would lie there inactive. On a wireless version, its another story.

That said - as noted above, for those who do want a weather app (for wi-fi or data versions), the Apple app is pretty basic and its reporting destinations or information generally not as extensive as some other (often free) apps out there. I, for example, use The Weather Network app, and aside from the ability to have it 'follow me' a far as general locations are concerned, it happens to have a reporting station 2 blocks from my home, so that's my default location.

Granted, it can't use Notifications as an Apple weather app does, but I so rarely think about using Notifications on my iPad or iPhone, anyway.

wolfedude88

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
It kinda makes sense not to have a stock weather app on a wi-fi only iPad - it can only pull up info when it is connected, and not everyone has wi-fi in, say, their home, so it would lie there inactive. On a wireless version, its another story.

That said - as noted above, for those who do want a weather app (for wi-fi or data versions), the Apple app is pretty basic and its reporting destinations or information generally not as extensive as some other (often free) apps out there. I, for example, use The Weather Network app, and aside from the ability to have it 'follow me' a far as general locations are concerned, it happens to have a reporting station 2 blocks from my home, so that's my default location.

Granted, it can't use Notifications as an Apple weather app does, but I so rarely think about using Notifications on my iPad or iPhone, anyway.

If someone didn't have wifi in their home then wouldn't a wifi only ipad be pretty much worthless anyways?

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
If someone didn't have wifi in their home then wouldn't a wifi only ipad be pretty much worthless anyways?

Well, if you're thinking you'll glance at your iPad at home to check the weather, then yes. But a wi-fi iPad can, however, be used at the multitude of free wi-fi hotspots as you go about your daily business - and can then pick up weather reports and activate other data-retrieving programs. And even a 'dumb' non-connected iPad can operate some programs without benefit of a data plan or wi-fi, though granted, Apple & its 3rd Party providers really prefer it when users' apps 'call the mothership' to run.

grassyblue

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I agree it's sort of a weird omission, but it's not really necessary. Many dedicated weather apps out there. Same goes for stocks. The Yahoo stocks app is pretty good.

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
I agree it's sort of a weird omission, but it's not really necessary. Many dedicated weather apps out there. Same goes for stocks. The Yahoo stocks app is pretty good.

Yes but none can be integrated into either SB Settings or NC Settings so you see the weather when you swipe down, right? That's kinda what I'm missing..