Why is the signal strength on the 4S always 2 bars higher than the 5S no matter where I am located?

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I have a 4s running iOS 6.1.4 and a 5s running iOS 7.1.1, both on AT&T network, with LTE disabled on the 5s.

My signal strength on the 4s is always 2 bars higher than the 5s no matter where I am located. I have enabled/disabled LTE and no change on the 5s, as well as resetting the network connections.

I am wondering if this is normal? An iOS 7 issue? A 5s issue? Or just an AT&T issue?

If I have a faulty 5s, I want to return since I just bought it less than a month ago.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
re: Why is the signal strength on the 4S always 2 bars higher than the 5S no matter where I am located?

I had a 4s and recently got a 5s. LTE is enabled. The signal strength indicator is the same.

Elizabeth2

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
re: Why is the signal strength on the 4S always 2 bars higher than the 5S no matter where I am located?

I have a 4s running iOS 6.1.4 and a 5s running iOS 7.1.1, both on AT&T network, with LTE disabled on the 5s.

My signal strength on the 4s is always 2 bars higher than the 5s no matter where I am located. I have enabled/disabled LTE and no change on the 5s, as well as resetting the network connections.

I am wondering if this is normal? An iOS 7 issue? A 5s issue? Or just an AT&T issue?

If I have a faulty 5s, I want to return since I just bought it less than a month ago.

The signal indicator is not going to give you a very precise reading. Its anyone guess as to when it changes from one bar to three bars etc.
There is a very cool way to have your reading a bit more accurate. I have made a guide from a long standard practice in changing your dots or bars to a numeric value.
http://forums.imore.com/guides-how-articles/271233-guide-signal-strength-changing-dots-decibels.html

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

I would not make to much into,what you have asked. Really you never can tell if bars, numbers or anything else is accurate but as long as you have signal and it it works that would be your real accuracy.

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

Valid point! Guess I just want to know if the brand new 5s is functioning as it should and not defective. In my home I have 1 bar, but my 4s has 4 bars.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

Once again you just don't know but I doubt you have an issue withe the 5S
Not that it matters how old it is but you could give it time to stabilize in your home and iif it is an issue truly down the road,then I would take it to,am Apple store with both phones to test one against the other.
How does that sound to you?

AgentHeracles

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site

What if someone wanted to switch back permanently to the dots instead of numbers?

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

What if someone wanted to switch back permanently to the dots instead of numbers?

To return to the default bars permanently, follow these steps:

Step 1: Dial *3001#12345#* on your iPhone then press Call.

Step 2: Press on your Home Button once.

AgentHeracles

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site

Thanks Hank: for some reason it was not working because I had messed up the number that I saved in my contacts under Field Test Mode. You have to input the numbers each time but it was definitely mis-typed.

Last edited:

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

Once again you just don't know but I doubt you have an issue withe the 5S
Not that it matters how old it is but you could give it time to stabilize in your home and iif it is an issue truly down the road,then I would take it to,am Apple store with both phones to test one against the other.
How does that sound to you?

It is been roughly a month, so one would think it would have "stabilized" by now. I think I'll just make an appointment just to be sure

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

It is been roughly a month, so one would think it would have "stabilized" by now. I think I'll just make an appointment just to be sure

IF and the key word is IF this happens ALL the time with your new 5S vs your 4S then to satisfy yourself you know you have good signal on the 4S, The question is the 5S, Stay home and get on Apple support that you have on the phone and they can do a test over the phone by asking you to send them a Message after they check your phone and it will give them feedback on the phone. Depending on what they say, You might wind up at the Apple Store anyway but give that a shot and let us know. :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR