Why is the Always on Display feature on my iPhone not staying on overnight?

Nov 13, 2020
Visit site
Hey, I got my iPhone 14 Pro on release day (Friday) and have run into this issue with the AOD - basically at night when I'm sleeping, I usually glance over at my phones (previously androidp phones) and the AOD would be on and I'd be able to see the time then go back to sleep. My iP14P though seems to turn the screen off completely as if AOD has been turned off, and then I have to move the phone/tap the screen to wake it up to show me the time.

Does anyone know how to fix this so the AOD will stay on perpetually? I just want the time showing so I can look at it without having to interact with the phone.

Thanks.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Re: Always on display issue

According to this document on Apple’s website, it seems to be by design.

Basically, if the phone has been unused for a while, it will disable the always-on display.

Nov 13, 2020
Visit site

According to this document on Apple’s website, it seems to be by design.

Basically, if the phone has been unused for a while, it will disable the always-on display.

I see. That sucks. I want it on all the time so at night I can just look at the phone and it'll display at the clock.

Seems like the feature was not well thought out. Hope they release an update to allow the user more control over it.

Reactions: tpeters3030

garment69

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site

I see. That sucks. I want it on all the time so at night I can just look at the phone and it'll display at the clock.

Seems like the feature was not well thought out. Hope they release an update to allow the user more control over it.

Totally agree. It’s like apple wants to sell you an alarm clock or something. A alarm clock they don’t sell! Why would it not stay on while charging????

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site

Be aware of my post on my Apple support case and screen bug. My guess is the phone might have done its freeze/crash sitting upside down during the night time charge cycle. The bug and annoyance aside, it was interesting how the support person said my case went to engineering for a bug not fixed in 16.1.

theKHMERboy

May 12, 2013
Visit site

I have just recently got my 14 pro max and yeah have the always on display and getting use to it and the first night with it I woke up and it still seems to be on. Wonder if this is overtime using the phone or it’s a software update somewhere. Hmmmm I’m not sure

strikeIII

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
Mine goes off because I'm wearing my Apple Watch to sleep and since it's not right by my phone the sceen goes black. Super annoying and defeats the purpose of the always on display while on a charging stand.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Per Apple:

Always-On display goes dark when you don't need it. To save battery life, the display is completely dark when:

• Your iPhone is lying face down

• Your iPhone is in your pocket or bag

• Sleep Focus is on

• Low Power Mode is on

• Your iPhone is connected to CarPlay

• You're using Continuity Camera

• You haven't used your iPhone for a while (your iPhone learns your activity patterns and turns the display off and on accordingly, including if you set up an alarm or sleep schedule)

• Your iPhone detects that you moved away from it with a paired Apple Watch (Always-On display will turn on when your Apple Watch is close to your iPhone again)

Source: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT213435

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
So basically it's really not a always on display!!

It is if you don’t have an Apple Watch .

Still prefer the iPhones always on display vs androids always on tiny part of the display, which looks incredibly dated in 2023.

2772707436b44ffc51fc24bcce978113.png

tpeters3030

May 1, 2023
Visit site
If the phone is charging then the battery saver excuse is no longer valid. Easy fix... If it's plugged in the AOD stays on. There's a lot of people that use these as alarm clocks and want the display on. The AOD needs work. Also don't need the call screen to display while on a call. If apple is concerned about battery usage then why have the call screen displaying during calls with AOD turned on.