Why is 'other' data taking up 6GB?

Chrisy

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I have been reading about this issue for a few days. It seems it's been an issue since 2012 or so.

I have a 16GB iPhone 5c with 36 apps, no pics or videos and about 5GB of music. When I sync with iTunes, the OTHER category is about 6.5GB and I can't get rid of it! I cannot take a pic, download a podcast, update the OS or update any of my apps because of this OTHER data.

I have no emails, messages, voice notes, documents saved on the phone. I have cleared Safari cookies and data.

I have tried the "delete your music" reboot then resync. Didn't help.

I have read that I'll probably have to wipe all data and set it up as a new device.

Before I do that, does anyone have any other solutions or suggestions?

It's really frustrating to constantly have 0 memory when there's barely anything on the phone. And even more frustrating that I can't get to this OTHER data either in the phone or using iTunes.

Thanks.

Chrisy

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: 'Other' data taking up 6GB

Its not just messages etc it's also data stored in your apps.
I found this for you.

http://forums.imore.com/iphone-5/258316-can-you-delete-other-used-storage.html

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3421464?start=45

Sent from my SEXY GORGEOUS AWESOME GOLD 128G iPhone 6

Thanks. I've read that one, and probably 30 more like it. Most say a wipe and start as new is the solution. That's a pain in the ***, but I'm going to have to do it.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site

In sorry but I couldn't find anything that was less intense.

Sent from my SEXY GORGEOUS AWESOME GOLD 128G iPhone 6

Chrisy

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site

It's not just app data, because I can see and access and delete that. I have deleted all the "big" apps like Facebook and I still have the 6.5GB of OTHER. Some have suggested it's corrupt data or a duplicated music list.

I'm going to try again today.

Chrisy

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site

Ok, I found an easier solution that worked for me. I read this one and decided to try it before wiping and adding all the phone data back.

So far, it has worked.

BACKUP THE DEVICE TO ITUNES! BACKUP ALL APPS AND MUSIC ETC.

1. Settings-General-Reset-Erase All Content and Settings. So this on the device.

2. Then once the device reboots, begin as if it's a NEW device. I went all the way through until I was at the factory set home page.

3. Connect to iTunes then RESTORE FROM THE LASTEST BACKUP.

I figured that the OTHER data would just come with the restore but it DID NOT. All my phone data and settings were restored sans the 6.5GB of OTHER.

It wasn't as difficult or time consuming as I thought it would be since I was able to just restore from a backup rather than add everything back manually.

I hope this fix works. I will keep an eye on the OTHER to make sure it stays stay. I went from 6.5GB of OTHER to 559 MB. Much better!

Chrisy

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site

Other data grew to 2GB so it's time to do the process again! Not too big a deal.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Other data grew to 2GB so it's time to do the process again! Not too big a deal.

Makes me wonder how much I have. My computer has gone nuts. So I can't check iTunes. I figure I have some in "other". Yours seems to grow quickly. Any culprits you've determined?

Sent from CrapaTalk on my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

Chrisy

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Makes me wonder how much I have. My computer has gone nuts. So I can't check iTunes. I figure I have some in "other". Yours seems to grow quickly. Any culprits you've determined?

Sent from CrapaTalk on my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

Yes, it does seem to grow quickly. Not sure, maybe data from delete apps?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox