Why is iPhone x so expensive

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
iPhone X is expensive everywhere however the price can fluctuate between different areas of the globe based on factors like distribution costs, demand, fees imposed by governments, and price control from Apple or consumers.

Last edited:

anon(5630457)

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
The iPhone X 256GB is $1,149 here in the US and we ask why it's so expensive. I couldn't even imagine how much it'd cost in Europe, Asia, or Australia with the import tax. Yikes.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
The iPhone X is so expensive, to start with, because of the cost of the parts; the OLED screen from Samsung, that it has Stainless Steel (as opposed to Aluminum), etc. Second, it is because of the costs of creating and building the sensors for FaceID; as brand new technology it has a lot of expenses that will come down over time (like TouchID has). Last, it is expensive because of Apple's support, specifically updates -- you'll notice that Google's Pixel phones (one of the few other Androids to get frequent updates for 2 or 3 years) also have a similar higher cost.

Last, the reason it is so expensive in Asia likely has to do with import fees and taxes. For example, US advertised prices do not include any sort of tax in the price (such as VAT), which is typically included in the pricing in other countries.

Paul Ellis1

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
Although £1149 May be near $1600 if you go by exchange rates, I honestly feel that me spending £1149 is equal to an American paying $1149 when you consider everything like cost of living/average earning/other economical factors etc.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Although £1149 May be near $1600 if you go by exchange rates, I honestly feel that me spending £1149 is equal to an American paying $1149 when you consider everything like cost of living/average earning/other economical factors etc.

Makes sense when you think about it like that.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

Makes sense when you think about it like that.

When I’m in Turkey for vacation, people tend to ask me how much I earn and such, when we’re talking about economy and politics. I always say that that’s not important, as bread is 1 euro/dollar/Turkish lira/pound.
Except for electronics this is true for almost everything.

So, yes, it is wrong to convert prices to another currency when you’re talking about something. Especially if you’re comparing prices between first world countries.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
elena4151