Why I can not charge my iPad with genuine OEM Samsung Charger?

gameson

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
My Samsung Charger has an output rating of 5.3 V and 2 A (reading from the charger label), and OEM iPad Apple Charger has an output rating of 5 V and 2 A, so it's pretty similar in term of wattage. 0.3 V difference won't make any difference.

but why when i plug in the Samsung Charger into my iPad, it shows 'not charging' on my iPad?

the Samsung Charger is genuine OEM from Note 3, it's brand new and it's working on my iPhone 6

I am using the same OEM Apple lightning cable, so when i swap the Samsung charger with the iPad charger, the iPad charges again, therefore it's not the cable problem, it's solely the charger...

Anyone is having this issue?

Thanks.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
My Samsung Charger has an output rating of 5.3 V and 2 A (reading from the charger label), and OEM iPad Apple Charger has an output rating of 5 V and 2 A, so it's pretty similar in term of wattage. 0.3 V difference won't make any difference.

but why when i plug in the Samsung Charger into my iPad, it shows 'not charging' on my iPad?

the Samsung Charger is genuine OEM from Note 3, it's brand new and it's working on my iPhone 6

I am using the same OEM Apple lightning cable, so when i swap the Samsung charger with the iPad charger, the iPad charges again, therefore it's not the cable problem, it's solely the charger...

Anyone is having this issue?

Thanks.

Samsung uses some proprietary charging standards on their chargers -- part of why their phones currently have a USB-C port but the charger is USB-A. Because of this, I believe their chargers limit themselves to the typical .5-1.0 A charge unless they recognized a charging standard that Samsung uses (such as Samsung's own standard or Qualcomm's QuickCharge). Since Apple does not use those standards, you can't get the 2.0 charging rate out of the Samsung charger with the iPad.

JandN2639

Nov 23, 2017
Visit site
Apple is highly proprietary. That means that unless they authorize/certify a non-Apple product, it won’t work with Apple devices.

I suggest you ask Apple Support whether they have a way to get your Samsung charger to work with Apple devices.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Apple is highly proprietary. That means that unless they authorize/certify a non-Apple product, it won’t work with Apple devices.

I suggest you ask Apple Support whether they have a way to get your Samsung charger to work with Apple devices.

This is simply not true. Some non-Apple certified charging cables may give some trouble, but charging bricks work always, all the time. I have used various non-Apple certified chargers with success.

JandN2639

Nov 23, 2017
Visit site
This is simply not true. Some non-Apple certified charging cables may give some trouble, but charging bricks work always, all the time. I have used various non-Apple certified chargers with success.

I am not referring to cables, but to things like wifi chargers. Apple isn’t nearly as permissive as certain other companies regarding compatibility. Drippler, PC World, CNET, and other recognized tech resources have repeatedly written about this.

wolfee48

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site
I witnessed a not charging notification once on my Air 2. Resolved by rebooting. Hold home button down then quickly push and hold power button at the same time.

Might work for you, might not. Let’s hope it does.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I am not referring to cables, but to things like wifi chargers. Apple isn’t nearly as permissive as certain other companies regarding compatibility. Drippler, PC World, CNET, and other recognized tech resources have repeatedly written about this.

Neither was I. Referring to lightning cables, that is.
I only said that I have yet to encounter a charging port / brick to not charge my iPhone.

I can’t really talk about wireless charging, yet. So I’ll take your word for it.

gameson

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Samsung uses some proprietary charging standards on their chargers -- part of why their phones currently have a USB-C port but the charger is USB-A. Because of this, I believe their chargers limit themselves to the typical .5-1.0 A charge unless they recognized a charging standard that Samsung uses (such as Samsung's own standard or Qualcomm's QuickCharge). Since Apple does not use those standards, you can't get the 2.0 charging rate out of the Samsung charger with the iPad.

The Samsung charger comes from Note 3 (current Note is Note 8), so it's a few years back, it's brand new because it's never used, I just found it.

Therefore there is no USB-C or some other tech, it's just plain micro USB standard.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
The Samsung charger comes from Note 3 (current Note is Note 8), so it's a few years back, it's brand new because it's never used, I just found it.

Therefore there is no USB-C or some other tech, it's just plain micro USB standard.

The Note 3 still had quick charging, and that the charger won't supply the 2.0A charge to a device not using the same quick charge standard.

Of course, double checking -- the iPad charger is 2.1 Amps at 5V (it provides 12 watts). The Note 3 charger is 2.0 Amps at 5V (provides 10 watts) -- I believe it needs those extra 2 watts (0.1 A) to be able to charge the iPad.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh