why gmail over Yahoo mail???

lenmac08#IM

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Yahoo has been sucking lately when it comes to pushing my mail to my phone. Besides the obvious push advantages of gmail over yahoo, why else should I convert to gmail???

need to be convinced that gmail is the way to go because it sucks to change primary accounts in my opinion...

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Better security, better UI, no giant ads, Exchange, integration with calendar/contacts, use with your own custom domain, can add to your Mac mail app for free (Yahoo actually charges for this!), better spam filters, great filters in general for sorting mail, more storage...

Fixxy

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Better security, better UI, no giant ads, Exchange, integration with calendar/contacts, use with your own custom domain, can add to your Mac mail app for free (Yahoo actually charges for this!), better spam filters, great filters in general for sorting mail, more storage...

+1 You can also forward any email address for free with gMail, there are a lot of very useful Google Labs features available, Boomerang, and not to mention having a yahoo address just looks dated if you use one of the two on resumes.

jlb21

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I set up a gmail and gave the address to people who I want my mail from timely, family, close friends, etc.....

I left the Yahoo account active, but I don't care if the mail does not push timely now.....

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
No one should 'convince you', you should make your own mind up...

1. Google Apps \ GMail seem to offer a better junk\spam filtering
2. Google Apps \ GMail seem to get blocked\blacklisted less, in comparison to other email carriers.

That's my take on it.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I mentioned this above, but I think it often gets overlooked: the custom domain option is awesome, but can be especially great for families. I use the free version of Google Apps just for myself, and for $10/yr (the cost of keeping my .com address) I can have 10 different users/email addresses, all with my .com address and all with Gmail, Google Calendar, etc. It's a GREAT deal for me--as a freelancer, having a custom .com domain is much nicer to give to clients than a generic gmail address--but picture it in a family situation:

-register "yourfamily.com" (can be done via Google Apps)
-using Google Apps, you can have "dad@yourfamily.com, "mom@yourfamily.com", "son@yourfamily.com", "daughter@yourfamily.com", etc..."
-keep a family calendar that everyone can update and that everyone can see on phones, ipods, etc.

you can probably use it to make easy online photo albums for family members, etc...worth looking into if it fits your situation!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro