• Welcome to the all-new iMore Forums! - We're still moving some things around, so you may see a few quirks here and there, but we're working on getting things fully completed as soon as possible. For now, take a look around, and if you run into any major issues, please let us know in this thread!

Why don't I have any sound coming out of my headphones jack?

jaleelhamid

Apr 22, 2013
no sound coming out of headphones jack

so on my macbook pro 2011 with latest os x el capitan and i tried apple head phones and samsung head phones and their is no sound that comes out of the jack? but the sound works fine! so annoying aha anyone have any ideas

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Re: no sound coming out of headphones jack

Are you certain the headphones were properly inserted? Did you check the volume level? Is the mute function enabled on the MacBook?

nightridah

Jul 19, 2015
Check out [redacted] - I'm using it and the sound from my MBP is great

Last edited by a moderator:

tyrach

Mar 4, 2016
It can happen that You may not have sound on Your Mac. In such case, first of all, You will need to check the volume if it's turned up. Than check the connection of Your headphone or speaker power. If You use Bluetooth speakers, it's better to turn them off and on.
If these steps are not helpful, we recommend to hold Option key and click on speaker icon, located on the right top corner. From the options You'll see, choose the right source of your sound (usually it should be line out).

Not working? You need to reset NVRAM. And how to do this You can read in intelligencesd blog