Why doesn't Apple make their charging cords more durable?

basolo3977

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
The reason I'm asking is it seems they neglect the design factor especially at the point of where the cord meets the end of the Lightning plug portion. I've had a charging cord for my fairly new iPad and it's bending at that point and it seems to be a flaw. I just find it fascinating that Apple and its design team have a hard time with this concept.

I know there are cord savers out there or heck just buy a new cord but who out there is with me on this? Any recommendations or comments?

bzeroh56

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
Maybe they're trying to make more money off the cords? Idk my phone charge cord has lasted me two years thus far and it has no signs of damage, you just gotta be nice to it, I guess. Don't twist or bend the cord, always keep it straight. Don't pull the cord, always remove the cord from the jack by the base. Don't be rough with it and it'll last longer.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
If you're within your 1 year warranty, they will give you a new 1 m lightning cable. But you must return the damaged cable.

bzeroh56

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
Anyone try the nylon braided lightning cables?

Yeah, but it was some random uncertified junk, lasted me like a month before it started doing that thing where your phone only charges in certain positions. The extra length and smooth, untangly cord was great though.

iBright

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
Before I damaged a lot of my charging cords both iPhone's and that of MacBook Pro's until I recently I started taking good care of them. Have had no issues yet though. Sigh

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, but it was some random uncertified junk, lasted me like a month before it started doing that thing where your phone only charges in certain positions. The extra length and smooth, untangly cord was great though.

I just ordered 2 braided Mfi certified Kodiak cables. Keeping my fingers crossed. I may need these:
6ba192686ba7a3cb1bc4afa2c5dfd82d.jpg

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
The reason I'm asking is it seems they neglect the design factor especially at the point of where the cord meets the end of the Lightning plug portion. I've had a charging cord for my fairly new iPad and it's bending at that point and it seems to be a flaw. I just find it fascinating that Apple and its design team have a hard time with this concept.

I know there are cord savers out there or heck just buy a new cord but who out there is with me on this? Any recommendations or comments?

Profit margins are the reason. A more expensive cable will eat into profit margins. It's even worse that Apple charges far more than third parties for inferior quality cables. If you want a quality cable Amazon, Anker, and Monoprice all make lightning cables that are also cheaper than Apple branded ones.

I have a couple of these, they are great.

http://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerLi...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUimUvbUpU2724332

ladyc0524

Trusted Member
Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I bought this one from Amazon. I also have a black one I got off of Groupon and I've had that one going on three years now.

e055162495831e69871a3d759549ebf2.jpg

LockOnTech

May 5, 2014
Visit site
I cannot comment on the durability of braided cables; however I do have a micro usb duracell cable that I used with the galaxy s5 I use to own. It felt reinforced.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nijolcreative