Why does the call history remain after a fresh OS Install?

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Call History Remains After Fresh OS Install

I just downloaded and installed 8.4 through iTunes on my AT&T 5S. I did NOT restore from a backup, just a fresh install. All I have done so far is sign into iCloud to sync all that is Apple. I have noticed my "Recents" within the Phone app has a list dating back to 6/6/15.

I guess I am looking as to what is syncing this information? Possibly iCloud data, KeyChain, Carriers (AT&T in my case since they apply their own "settings").

I have noticed this another time a year back or so, and I remember this list being scattered (random dates) with a history going back over 2 years.

MobileMadness002

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
Re: Call History Remains After Fresh OS Install

I would have to say that the call logs are synchronized with iCloud. That way it van be synced to any device with your Apple ID.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for the reply. I haven't received email notifications that anyone responds to a thread anymore.

Anyway... that was my guess as well. If that is the case, why is it so random between the dates that it syncs? It would be clear if it were 30 days just like the old photos style of syncing, but it's not.

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Any further insight on this?

I have deleted all of the old call logs one by one and as I deleted them, another individual log would populate at the bottom of the list. So somewhere within Apple's system this history is kept.

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Yesterday I did a factory reset on my 5s with iOS 8.4.1. Normally I would sign in using my Apple ID during the setup process, but this time I skipped signing in. I then signed into my Apple account after the setup process was complete. I have made several calls and tested several missed calls and voice mails. I have NOT had any older call history appear in the "Recent" tab.

I then approved KeyChain, which I know stores WiFi networks and Safari data. I tested more calls and voice mails and still NO older logs in the "Recent" tab

That being said, I am not sure what process (and from whom) is linking older sporadic call data to my Apple ID. I do not use iCloud Backup and always Setup As New. I am wondering if by signing into my Apple ID during the setup process and bringing that information down to my device, since Back Up is turned on by default.

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

After a few more missed calls, the older call history reappeared. I would like to figure out what this log is linked to.

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
So I wiped my 5s to factory at 10am on December 9, 2015. No call history appeared until 7:48pm, as you can see in the attached image. Look at the DAYS next to the notification. Does anyone know (for a fact) where this information comes from? My guess is KeyChain.

missed-calls.jpg

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Do you happen to have a link from Apple listing all items that get saved on their servers by using iCloud? I do not use iCloud backups, I have it turned off. I have KeyChain enabled as well as iCloud Drive.

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
thanks for the links! I am wondering if call history is under the "App Data" umbrella?

"Your iOS device backup only includes data and settings stored on your device. It doesn’t include data already stored in iCloud. That includes contacts, calendars, bookmarks, mail messages, notes, shared photo albums, iCloud Photo Library, My Photo Stream, and documents you store in iCloud Drive. If your iOS device isn’t set up for iCloud Drive, but is set up for iCloud Documents & Data, your documents stored in iCloud are backed up. "

Or possibly Documents and Data. I'm wondering what would happen if I turn that off.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh