Why does my wife see my my call history on her iPhone?

shotrock74

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Setup:

My Phone: iPhone 4S, iOS 8.3
Wife's Phone: iPhone 5S, iOS 8.3
We share an Apple ID on both devices

Problem:

My wife sees my call history (incoming and missed calls) on here iPhone 5S.

Already Checked:

-iPhone Cellular calls are disabled on both of our devices

Request / Help Needed:

-We would like to keep both phones associated with the same apple id. Is there anyway to disable my call history from showing up on her phone

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Unless Apple is FYI g call history to your Apple ID, I would have thought that because your phone number is different from that of your wife's, the history would be separate. Anyway, Use your own Apple ID.

Jeff Geer

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
You can share the iTunes ID. But iCloud, iMessage, and Facetime need to be different ID's.

I don't know how many forums I read that say this same thing. It's obviously from people that don't know what they are talking about. I had 2 phones fully updated as of 2 weeks ago sharing the same icloud account. I pay for extra storage for backups and such, and both devices us it. My call history has NEVER in the 2 years we've shared an icloud account ever gone to my wife's phone. Last week, I installed (through Apple legitimately) IOS 9 beta. At that point, my history started syncing to her phone. Her's does not show up on my phone, just mine on hers.

So to sum up, every saying two devices cannot share icloud account, but not call history is incorrect . . . AND . . . something switching to IOS 9 (either a new feature, or changing existing settings) caused my problem. Hopefully I will find it soon and can provide solution. (it is not turning off Handoff as I've already tried that).

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
I don't know how many forums I read that say this same thing. It's obviously from people that don't know what they are talking about. I had 2 phones fully updated as of 2 weeks ago sharing the same icloud account. I pay for extra storage for backups and such, and both devices us it. My call history has NEVER in the 2 years we've shared an icloud account ever gone to my wife's phone. Last week, I installed (through Apple legitimately) IOS 9 beta. At that point, my history started syncing to her phone. Her's does not show up on my phone, just mine on hers.

So to sum up, every saying two devices cannot share icloud account, but not call history is incorrect . . . AND . . . something switching to IOS 9 (either a new feature, or changing existing settings) caused my problem. Hopefully I will find it soon and can provide solution. (it is not turning off Handoff as I've already tried that).

I was surprised when i restored form backup to a different phone this week that call history and voicemail came with the restore.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site

Probably time to just go to 2 accounts and use family share.

Cheers.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

I never said anything about call history. My Wife and I share the same iTunes ID. But our iCloud, iMessage and Facetime ID's are different. It works great for 2 people. I have no clue about your call history issue. You might check with your carrier. I don't see how updating to iOS 9 would do that. It makes absolutely no sense.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

This has nothing to do with handoff or continuity. It has to do with the accounts set up under Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars and what items you are sharing. If you are sharing CONTACTS, this will happen.

Laura Edwards

Aug 29, 2015
Visit site
I did this. I've been updated for a while. We share an apple ID. My husband updated last night and since then, he's been getting texted by his own texts, if that makes any sense, and so am I. It's VERY glitchy. So I text him, and BING I get the text I just sent him and it's happening to him too. Every time he texts me, he gets a text from himself as well.

So, I created a new apple ID for him and tried to add him to family. When he clicked on the email confirmation link to join the family, it says it's an invalid invitation because he's already part of the family. Nope, go to the settings, he's NOT part of the family-- it says the invitation was sent. Then, I tried to sign him out, but when you go to family, it still says (ME) after MY apple id, instead of after his on his phone. I'm going nuts.

I convinced him to update, promising him it would be fine and now he's very frustrated with ME because he doesn't love having two of every text with notifications, etc.

Laura Edwards

Aug 29, 2015
Visit site
I fixed it. I went into his phone and selected sign out under icloud, then delete account, then signed in under his new apple id. I was then able to accept the friend request I'd sent to him, and now he and I can share music, etc. and no more double texts, thank God. Why isn't this a very clear procedure somewhere? I couldn't find it Googling.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I fixed it. I went into his phone and selected sign out under icloud, then delete account, then signed in under his new apple id. I was then able to accept the friend request I'd sent to him, and now he and I can share music, etc. and no more double texts, thank God. Why isn't this a very clear procedure somewhere? I couldn't find it Googling.

I said it was up above here. You need separate iCloud ID. You can still share iTunes ID. Make sure iMessage and Facetime are separated as well.

Saa Laa

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
This same thing happened to me, we have 3 iPhones, and the calls from two of them started showing up on all 3 today. We've shared apple ID and had multiple iPhones for a couple years. This is a new issue - we DID NOT make any updates or changes in the last couple days. However I wanted to share the solution I found (other than setting up separate apple IDs which I don't want to do). It worked for me to disable "setting/general/handoff" (even though I never enabled it in the first place). I am also thinking that when bluetooth was not enabled the phone probably did not send its history to the other phones, although I didn't troubleshoot that.

I JUST HATE that now whenever there is an apple software update I have to go through all 6 apple devices and reset the sharing settings to where I had them - and it's not always the same settings that change after an update, but theres always something. Sometimes its which phone rings, sometimes its iMessage, sometimes its photo sharing..... sigh. And sometimes it changes whether my husband receives my texts - endless problems... It's only the past 6 months these issues have come up. Prior to that I loved our iPhones/imacs.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
This same thing happened to me, we have 3 iPhones, and the calls from two of them started showing up on all 3 today. We've shared apple ID and had multiple iPhones for a couple years. This is a new issue - we DID NOT make any updates or changes in the last couple days. However I wanted to share the solution I found (other than setting up separate apple IDs which I don't want to do). It worked for me to disable "setting/general/handoff" (even though I never enabled it in the first place). I am also thinking that when bluetooth was not enabled the phone probably did not send its history to the other phones, although I didn't troubleshoot that.

I JUST HATE that now whenever there is an apple software update I have to go through all 6 apple devices and reset the sharing settings to where I had them - and it's not always the same settings that change after an update, but theres always something. Sometimes its which phone rings, sometimes its iMessage, sometimes its photo sharing..... sigh. And sometimes it changes whether my husband receives my texts - endless problems... It's only the past 6 months these issues have come up. Prior to that I loved our iPhones/imacs.

Welcome to iMore! If you don't want to have to worry about changing handoff settings when there are updates you have two options:
1. Submit feedback to Apple at www.apple.com/feedback. iMore is not affiliated with Apple and we can't control how iOS works.
2. Use separate Apple IDs. Go to http://applied.apple.com and set a separate ID up for each user in your family. Set up Family Sharing to share your purchases.
Good luck!

LaMedussa

Dec 5, 2015
Visit site
NO NEED TO SET UP DIFFERENT ACCOUNTS:

Some OS upgrades ago, Apple added a feature called "Handoff & Suggested Apps"

JUST GO TO:
Settings --> General --> Handoff & Suggested Apps

And turn off the feature called: Handoff
(the other feature has to do with the installed apps, I also turned that one off just in case).

IF YOUR PHONES RING AT THE SAME TIME WHEN ONE PHONE RECEIVES A CALL, THEN GO TO:
Settings --> Phone --> Calls on Other Devices
And turn it off

(You might want to do this on every iphone on your account)

Voila!!!
Problem solved!!!

Dagmaar75

May 11, 2016
Visit site
You can share the iTunes ID. But iCloud, iMessage, and Facetime need to be different ID's.

Incorrect. My Fiancee and I share an iCloud ID but have separate Apple IDs for iMessage ad FaceTime. It works perfectly except for the call history but that's not such a big deal since we trust one another...

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Incorrect. My Fiancee and I share an iCloud ID but have separate Apple IDs for iMessage ad FaceTime. It works perfectly except for the call history but that's not such a big deal since we trust one another...

But you then must share the 5 free gb of iCloud storage. With separate iCloud accounts, you would each get 5 free gb of storage for 10 gb total. Do you share the iTunes ID? That's all you need to share really. No benefit to sharing the iCloud ID.

surbrewsalot

Mar 30, 2015
Visit site
For many including myself, a desire to share iCloud photo library is whats keeping us on the same iCloud account. Unfortunately this brings the call history issue which is a big deal for some. If Apple could just allow the the Apple ID family sharing to include iCloud photo library then having separate accounts would be possible.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
For many including myself, a desire to share iCloud photo library is whats keeping us on the same iCloud account. Unfortunately this brings the call history issue which is a big deal for some. If Apple could just allow the the Apple ID family sharing to include iCloud photo library then having separate accounts would be possible.

You can share your photos with iCloud Photo Sharing. You run into a lot of issues sharing the same iCloud ID.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR