Why does apple not release a slimmed down Stick to compete better with Amazon and Roku?

midnightdoom

Aug 9, 2017
Visit site
I read a rumour a while back but judging by latest Target leak for Apple TV it isnt happening

Why does apple not release a slimmed down Stick to compete better with Amazon and Roku? The box is way too expensive for most users. I get that its got a larger harddrive and ram etc, which is great is you play games

But if you are only using it for TV apps you dont need all that, they really should make a stick with say 10GB for TV apps and simple games

Then the box for the full experience

I was looking at upgrading my old Roku (wont let me use Apple TV app on it), but I was waiting as I do like my ATV user interface better then both Roku and Amazon (i have all 3 on 3 different TVs)

But if apple doesnt then I guess I will replace roku with another Amazon 4k stick for much cheaper

Anybody know if there was any truth to the Stick happening

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: ATV Stick?

I read a rumour a while back but judging by latest Target leak for Apple TV it isnt happening

Why does apple not release a slimmed down Stick to compete better with Amazon and Roku? The box is way too expensive for most users. I get that its got a larger harddrive and ram etc, which is great is you play games

But if you are only using it for TV apps you dont need all that, they really should make a stick with say 10GB for TV apps and simple games

Then the box for the full experience

I was looking at upgrading my old Roku (wont let me use Apple TV app on it), but I was waiting as I do like my ATV user interface better then both Roku and Amazon (i have all 3 on 3 different TVs)

But if apple doesnt then I guess I will replace roku with another Amazon 4k stick for much cheaper

Anybody know if there was any truth to the Stick happening

Why make a slim down stick for TV when they have an TV app? I have a 65-inch Samsung 4K TV that I installed the TV app on and I am able to watch all of my purchased movies and I can rent movies just like I can with the TV box.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

Why make a slim down stick for TV when they have an TV app? I have a 65-inch Samsung 4K TV that I installed the TV app on and I am able to watch all of my purchased movies and I can rent movies just like I can with the TV box.

Because the TV app is only available on the most current TVs. An eventual TV stick will cost much less than the TV 4K.
By purchasing an TV stick people could ‘upgrade’ their existing TV without having to search for and spend hundreds of dollars on a TV.

midnightdoom

Aug 9, 2017
Visit site

I have a Samsung and Sony and Westinghouse TV but they are all too old to get the App, My Amazon stick in the basement can, but my Roku in the bedroom can't. (ATV on main tv)

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site

Apple products are overpriced yet people (myself included) keep buying them. I don’t think it would be feasible for them to make an Apple TV Stick.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site

I was just happy that our two Roku devices were new enough to add the Apple TV App. So perhaps getting a newer Roku box would be the most affordable way to go, in regards to adding the Apple TV app.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site

I have a Samsung and Sony and Westinghouse TV but they are all too old to get the App, My Amazon stick in the basement can, but my Roku in the bedroom can't. (ATV on main tv)

The Apple TV box is more than just streaming TV. Apple TV’s run tvOS, which lets you download and install a wide variety of applications from the tvOS App Store. tvOS is based on iOS, so it is easy for developers to port their iOS apps to tvOS. Apple says there are thousands of top sports, fitness and lifestyle apps. The Apple TV box is also a HomeKit hub for all your HomeKit automated devices.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR