Why does “Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus” beat the "iPhone X" in multitasking ? I am surprised!

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Re: Why does “Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus” beat the "iPhone X" in multitasking ? I am surprised!

I felt like I’m on XDA for a second. Kidding aside, no user should be expected to do this, ever.
Lol. I do a cache wipe at least once a month. It's so easy and there's only something to gain, nothing to lose. Keeps my toys running their best.

If I can do it anyone can...but you're right, noone should have to but it is what it is.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Re: Why does “Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus” beat the "iPhone X" in multitasking ? I am surprised!

Lol. I do a cache wipe at least once a month. It's so easy and there's only something to gain, nothing to lose. Keeps my toys running their best.

If I can do it anyone can...but you're right, noone should have to but it is what it is.

You're doing that on an iPhone? I am very surprised. Maybe there is a problem with your device? I can honestly say that I have never done it on an Android device, and have never needed to.

Last edited:

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

You're doing that on an iPhone? I am very surprised. Maybe there is a problem with your device? I can honestly say that I have never done it on an Android device, and have never needed to.
No...no...I do that on my Androids, whether they need it or not. I use both iPhones and Androids. Girl gotta have toys.

dmateo

Mar 11, 2018
Visit site

No...no...I do that on my Androids, whether they need it or not. I use both iPhones and Androids. Girl gotta have toys.

And the addiction continues! Lol still looking for that phone rehab!

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com

Samsung phones have some weird logic behind memory management that I don't understand. On my S8+ there were times I'd leave an app open for days and would never refresh. The same app would instantly refresh if I accidentally hit home and immediately reopened the app. I don't run a ton of apps so it wasn't that. Who knows. It was a great phone for the most part, just finicky at times.

@anony_mouse Kinda depends on the Android phone how often a cache wipe needs to be done. My HTC phones hardly ever needed to be done. My Samsung's more often. It's kind of a good idea to do it after any major update to get out any corrupt files. I remember reading Google has done some work on eliminating that need in Oreo though.

All that said, I'm not sure Apple is any better in that regard. It seems with iOS 11 they are getting pretty aggressive with memory management. Probably to help keep resource intensive apps running more smoothly, also for the overall smoothness of the device. It probably helps with battery life a little as well.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site

Lol. I do a cache wipe at least once a month. It's so easy and there's only something to gain, nothing to lose.

BTW, this is not entirely true. Apps cache data for a reason. Wiping the cache may require the app to download or recalculate data again, taking time and bandwidth and reducing battery life.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site

Personally I have not been a Samsung fan since the Nexus S, I played around with a few of the note series devices which have their purpose in todays market. For myself, the iPhone has been a great tool for my business and integrates with my Mac desktop better then any product out there. I will say this, that if Blackberry would have really put a serious effort into OS10, I would also be using a Blackberry OS10 device along side my iPhone X.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

BTW, this is not entirely true. Apps cache data for a reason. Wiping the cache may require the app to download or recalculate data again, taking time and bandwidth and reducing battery life.
On Android, the /cache partition doesn't hold app data cache. It's mostly log files, specifically the download for Android system updates is downloaded to /cache, and there are a few other system files that are stored there. (For example, there is a folder called "lost+found" that stores files that weren't properly written back to the file system if, say, a user removes an SD card without dismounting it.)

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

On Android, the /cache partition doesn't hold app data cache. It's mostly log files, specifically the download for Android system updates is downloaded to /cache, and there are a few other system files that are stored there. (For example, there is a folder called "lost+found" that stores files that weren't properly written back to the file system if, say, a user removes an SD card without dismounting it.)
You beat me to it.

Seneca09

Mar 10, 2018
Visit site

Personally I have not been a Samsung fan since the Nexus S, I played around with a few of the note series devices which have their purpose in todays market. For myself, the iPhone has been a great tool for my business and integrates with my Mac desktop better then any product out there. I will say this, that if Blackberry would have really put a serious effort into OS10, I would also be using a Blackberry OS10 device along side my iPhone X.

The gestures on bb10 OS was what made it great and that is why I’m now back with Apple on an iPhone X. BB10 had it first before iOS but iOS is the one that will live on...

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Why does “Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus” beat the "iPhone X" in multitasking ? I am surprised!

The gestures on bb10 OS was what made it great and that is why I’m now back with Apple on an iPhone X. BB10 had it first before iOS but iOS is the one that will live on...

I know several folks who bought the iPhone X who where Blackberry OS10 users and liked the gesture concept and they all love the device.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site

It’s actually been on iOS for many years but through jailbreak only. I know, not quite the same when only available that way. So when the gestures came to the X, I really enjoyed them because it took me back to the days when jail breaking was very hot.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site

All that said, I'm not sure Apple is any better in that regard. It seems with iOS 11 they are getting pretty aggressive with memory management. Probably to help keep resource intensive apps running more smoothly, also for the overall smoothness of the device. It probably helps with battery life a little as well.
I've noticed this as well. It's been a thorn in my side since I got the iPhone X. Here is the most powerful and most expensive device that Apple has ever built, yet my apps constantly shutting down because of overly aggressive memory management. This definitely wasn't the case before but you are completely correct in your observation - it is happening a lot now. It really makes the whole multitasking experience look immature.