Why do we leave iOS?

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I read that article before. It doesn't seem like he had any issues with the iPhone, but that he just wanted to try something else. That I can understand. But hen a person tries other things repeatedly and comes back to iOS often, it makes me wonder why we choose to leave in the first place.

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums mobile app

John Flud

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Or sometimes we want more features that suits us for our use:
speaking for me I got no problem with that. if you want something another product offers that apple doesn't, it makes sense to choose that other product.

what doesn't make sense to me is lies, distortion and misinformation about apple, that some people engage in like claiming that touch ID is an NSA conspiracy, or that the 5S is just an iphone 5, and apple doesn't innovate.

if somebody simply says, "I want a bigger screen so I'm buying a samsung galaxy" thats perfectly reasonable to me.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
speaking for me I got no problem with that. if you want something another product offers that apple doesn't, it makes sense to choose that other product.

what doesn't make sense to me is lies, distortion and misinformation about apple, that some people engage in like claiming that touch ID is an NSA conspiracy, or that the 5S is just an iphone 5, and apple doesn't innovate.

if somebody simply says, "I want a bigger screen so I'm buying a samsung galaxy" thats perfectly reasonable to me.

I agree. It seems that some people have to bash the iPhone to justify their purchase of another device. Even when I was using Android devices, I continued to be an Apple fan.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

austriak5

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Your guys' stories are actually what I literally just went through today. I had the iphone 3gs, 4, and 5 before switching to an HTC One about a month ago. I actually liked a lot of things about the HTC One but there were a couple things that really bothered me like battery life not being nearly as good as my iphone 5. Also, while it was really nice to do things like save files where ever I want or tell which app to be the default app, it is annoying that the basics just did not work as well. You always have to go looking for an app to replace basic things and the replacement apps would never be that much better. I know many would argue this, but I actually like Siri a lot more than Google Now/voice search. I will miss that 4.7" 1080p screen more than anything. I really hope Apple increases the screen size of the iPhone 6.

I am really looking forward to IOS 7 because after seeing android and going back to IOS, IOS 6 does look very old school and needs a facelift.

Lamont Raccoon

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
I've never left but I just got here to the iPhone place about 4 years ago. I got the i4 in the summer of the first year it was released and seriously fell in love with the device. I was no stranger to apple though as I always had an ipod of some kind. So jumping to the iphone was an easy thing to do, I mainly use my iphone as my main music device and that's something I rarely see people do. Matter of fact I remember I used to take the metro train to the city in chicago and people would yell at me telling me I'm using the iPhone WRONG. Yes people did this. All.The.Time. Friends and others alike I ran into also didn't know how to move the icons off the front page and I showed them that yes it's possible and yes you can have a clean front page. All because I did it on my iPod.

I can't see me leaving apple to use another device as from what I seen and used it simply is the best for my needs. No I don't mean the apps or anything like that. MUSIC! It's simply the best MP3 player out there that comes with a phone. I get my thousands among thousands of songs comboed with my phone all in ONE device. I wished for something like this since the days of the DISCMAN. :c Or walkman. I've played with other phones like the S4 and S3, and the HTC and I didn't like their music player. It was either too hard to find ( WAY TOO HARD ) or just didn't look or flowed as good as the one iPhone. So I dunno why others leave and come back but I'm hooked. Otherwise my music would cry if I did. I wouldn't be able to find it on another device.

Last edited:

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I've never left but I just got here to the iPhone place about 4 years ago. I got the i4 in the summer of the first year it was released and seriously fell in love with the device. I was no stranger to apple though as I always had an ipod of some kind. So jumping to the iphone was an easy thing to do, I mainly use my iphone as my main music device and that's something I rarely see people do. Matter of fact I remember I used to take the metro train to the city in chicago and people would yell at me telling me I'm using the iPhone WRONG. Yes people did this. All.The.Time. Friends and others alike I ran into also didn't know how to move the icons off the front page and I showed them that yes it's possible and yes you can have a clean front page. All because I did it from on my iPod.

I can't see me leaving apple to use another device as from what I seen and used it simply is the best for my needs. No I don't mean the apps or anything like that. MUSIC! It's simply the best MP3 player out there that comes with a phone. I get my thousands among thousands of songs comboed with my phone all in ONE device. I wished for something like this since the days of the DISCMAN. :c Or walkman. I've played with other phones like the S4 and S3, and the HTC and I didn't like their music player. It was either too hard to find ( WAY TOO HARD ) or just didn't look or flowed as good as the one iPhone. So I dunno why others leave and come back but I'm hooked. Otherwise my music would cry if I did. I wouldn't be able to find it on another device.

The music player is definitely a feature that doesn't get asked about a lot. The sound quality is superior to anything that I have used.

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums mobile app

zoely

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
I can't tell you how many times I have abandoned my iPhone just to turn around and come back to it after a brief affair with other devices. I never leave my iPhone because of any particular issue. But for some reason, I periodically get the urge to stray and I soon regret it and come slumping back. I have noticed many others on the forum do the same. Any insights on why we do this to ourselves? Why do we leave when we know we will be coming back...soon?

Sometime we just want to change something about oureslf!

bgl321

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
The flip side, at least from *my* experience is that I was never satisfied. Don't misunderstand me. I thoroughly enjoyed my Android devices as smartphones, but I was never satisfied with the setup. I customized my devices every way imaginable, and I did it to the point where I spent more time customizing and flashing new roms than I did actually using the device and being productive with it. When I got the iPhone 4S, it allowed me to be productive and content, and I made the decision to enjoy it without ever jailbreaking it, and I've kept that decision even though I now have an iPhone 5. Endless customizations lead to endless tinkering which also leads to never being satisfied.

I've had the same exact experiences. Well said!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I've had the same exact experiences. Well said!
Thank you very much...;)....Granted, I may feel differently with some of the newer Android devices, however, it's a tad too late. I've found the device that best suits me and I'm not going anywhere anytime soon...:)

bgl321

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
Thank you very much...;)....Granted, I may feel differently with some of the newer Android devices, however, it's a tad too late. I've found the device that best suits me and I'm not going anywhere anytime soon...:)

Very true. I tried the S4 about a month ago. I had it for less than 24 hours before returning it. I THINK I've finally learned my lesson. :)

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Very true. I tried the S4 about a month ago. I had it for less than 24 hours before returning it. I THINK I've finally learned my lesson. :)
I hear ya, my friend...;)....it's good to know we're not alone...lol

theKHMERboy

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I have done that a couple of times with iPhone and blackberry over the past few years.. But now I am currently on my iPhone 5.. There are many reasons why I leave and come back.. Hard for me to stick to the same thing for a long period of time And sometimes just need the change.. But so far I am happy I am back on a iPhone 5 and don't think I will be planning to change my phone for a while

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have done that a couple of times with iPhone and blackberry over the past few years.. But now I am currently on my iPhone 5.. There are many reasons why I leave and come back.. Hard for me to stick to the same thing for a long period of time And sometimes just need the change.. But so far I am happy I am back on a iPhone 5 and don't think I will be planning to change my phone for a while
A lot of people feel the same way and there is nothing wrong with it. ... :)

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I have bounced around a lot over the last 3 or 4 years. I like to experience the different operating systems as they evolve. I have spent the last couple months with Windows Phone since it was the only OS I had not used. I can say good things about every OS, but I always come back to the iPhone. I think using all of the different operating systems makes me appreciate what Apple has with iOS. My whole family (immediate and extended) uses iPhone, iPad, iPod, etc... The thing I miss the most when I am on another platform is the integration that I have with iOS. I still use my iPad, but it is so much better when I am using my iPhone with it. It's a better combo. I'm more productive. Anyway, I will be back on the iPhone next week. I am going to buy an iPhone 5 from someone upgrading to the 5s. Unless, of course, I break down and pay full retail for the 5s....lol.

djpatrickb

Banned
Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
The flip side, at least from *my* experience is that I was never satisfied. Don't misunderstand me. I thoroughly enjoyed my Android devices as smartphones, but I was never satisfied with the setup. I customized my devices every way imaginable, and I did it to the point where I spent more time customizing and flashing new roms than I did actually using the device and being productive with it. When I got the iPhone 4S, it allowed me to be productive and content, and I made the decision to enjoy it without ever jailbreaking it, and I've kept that decision even though I now have an iPhone 5. Endless customizations lead to endless tinkering which also leads to never being satisfied.

Likewise! I used a Droid X a few years ago and found myself spending countless hours customizing my phone. I got to the point where I wanted a solid phone that I didn't need to customize for speed and smoothness so I went to the iPhone. I stayed with the iPhone for 3 years which is the longest I have ever kept a phone. Just a few weeks ago I decided to leave Apple and go with the HTC One. This phone is great with it's big screen! Now I am starting to get that itch to start customizing my phone again. I think about my iPhone sitting in the drawer wondering when to make the switch back. It doesn't help that iOS 7 is coming in a few days.

Mits5139

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi peeps!

Have to say. Prior to the trying the 4S, i was absolutely anti-apple. Finally bit the bullet and bought one after my siblings all got one.
I too am a self confessed gadget addict. I've been through numerous phones and am currently on my second iphone 5 again after taking a sabatical to try WP, BB10 and Android. Prior to the 4S i also dabbled with meego, symbian, windows mobiles the list goes on. Time has not been kind to my bank wallet. Would love to be a tester !!

Safe to say i'm back again and hopefully getting a 5S.

I get bored very easily and i guess i find iOS to be fluid, fast, stable and easy to use. It just seems to work i guess which probably makes my mind wander a little after a while. Download an album on itunes and it appears on your phone, facetime family with mimimum hassle no problem, stream photos to the apple tv etc. initially i wasnt keen on being "locked down" to an ecosystem but when you look at the integration and fluidity of the whole process you appreciate the apple brand.

I miss the customisation of the others OS' but having thought about it thats all i miss which is strange. I dont even mind the size of the screen after having used 5 inchers like the htc butterfly. I
actually prefer a 4- possible 41/2 inch screen tops. Getting into the settings etc was always a mission and frustrating but iOS 7 has made some big changes which i look forward to.
Compared to newer phones the i5 may not win the specs war but i've never found it to be lacking in grunt, slow or unresponsive.

How long before i jump to another OS again i cant tell. Will i still return to the iPhone guaranteed!

jdhooghe

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
This is why I probably wouldn't do well in heaven. It is perfect and doing the same things over and over again would get repetitive; boring. This is now what I think of iOS but after being around the block, I love iOS more than ever. Here is my journey: since I have sold my 4S, I have had a 920, Z10 and a HTC One. WP8 is incredibly unfinished and Microsoft doesn't want to do anything it seems(Anyone who wants to argue, tell me what you got with GDR2 and will get with GDR3 and how long it took for you to get that and the laundry list of things that still needs to get done). The only thing Microsoft does is sit on their hands. The Z10 was nice for awhile but wasn't productive. I always had to do the roundabout thing, my sms messages got burying in the hub amongst my huge amount of emails and to find them I would have to press on the messages tab, just like iOS and Android. That wasn't really a time saver at all it turns out. Apps would get stuck, even official ones; drained the battery before I could figure it out. The screen also bothered me. It was always "dark" and BB10 was always an eyesore. Over at crackberry, the "app" word is something they ridicule you because they simply don't have them. If they did, they wouldn't but that is the nature of jealousy. The only thing I miss was the keyboard but in all honesty, swiftkey was just as good when I got my android. This brings me to my HTC One. Aside from the fact that HTC is currently reaping what they sowed with their terrible customer support and will soon be out of business, android was the following: download an app and make sure it didn't do what it wanted and wreak havoc on my battery. Also, Nlp and NetworkLocator wakelocks which drained my battery such that it never saw tomorrow. I always had to limit myself to what I always wanted to do otherwise the battery drained too fast. I would get 4 hours on screen time with medium/light usage. The rest of the time it drained just from all the wakelocks. Flashing was cool but the only reason was to get a good performing phone. To have a good battery and negligible drain. Through all of that and many dollars later, I got my new iPhone 5 a week and a half ago. Apps don't do what they want. My battery doesn't drain much at all when I am not using it(less than 1 percent an hour), my usage time is INSANE. I still can't believe it. I no longer have to baby my phone. I can actually use it. There is no longer any reason to choose between good music or a good camera, a good screen or good music, ect. It is all embodied by the iPhone. I am not an iSheep like so many CrackBerry people like to call us(yes, I am staying with iOS for as long as they continue being great) because I have tried the rest and all I have seen is a mess. iOS is truly the best in my opinion. Throughout ALL the phones I have used, I have not had to compromise on features AT ALL. Anyway, sorry for the long post. :)

claudeburdel

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
WP8 is incredibly unfinished and Microsoft doesn't want to do anything it seems(Anyone who wants to argue, tell me what you got with GDR2 and will get with GDR3 and how long it took for you to get that and the laundry list of things that still needs to get done). The only thing Microsoft does is sit on their hands.
Agree completely about WP8!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal