Why do apps drop the 'pre-iOS14' (left screen) widgets??

The_Prodigy1982

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
I'm not sure if I'm the only one who's wondering... but I prefer to keep that left-swipe to find all my (pre-iOS14) 'widgets' in 1 screen.
Since iOS14 apps seem to develop new homescreen widgets, only to drop it's pre-iOS14 widget.

I don't like the fact that now I'm either forced to use the new homescreen widgets, or don't use any widgets at all...
Why don't they give us the choice to either use the new homescreen widget, as well as the old fashioned left-swipe widget?

- To me it looks really cluttered with all these homescreen widgets.

soulenigma

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Not sure I follow? You can still have widgets on the far left of the Home Screen as before. They don’t need to be on the Home Screen. Running iOS 14 with calendar widget, battery and stock widget, Newsify, and NFL widgets to the left of the Home Screen.

b5f6eb0fdc645a93a00305fadb34a310.jpg

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
They are still available. Unlock the phone to the home screen, slide to the Today screen, scroll to the bottom and tap "Edit", and there should be a block of the old-style widgets (mine is at the bottom of the widgets) and there should be "Customize" control where you can add or remove them the way we did iOS 13 and prior.

And you can have the new-style widgets in the Today screen as well. They are not just meant for the home screen. I have several widgets in the Today screen, and none on any home screen.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Some app developers are doing that, some are offering both. I know Launcher has both. Some may have assumed most would rather have the widgets on the homescreen, or maybe both is more difficult to do. No clue.

joemontana57

Oct 20, 2020
Visit site
Not sure I follow? You can still have widgets on the far left of the Home Screen as before. They don’t need to be on the Home Screen. Running iOS 14 with calendar widget, battery and stock widget, Newsify, and NFL widgets to the left of the Home Screen.

b5f6eb0fdc645a93a00305fadb34a310.jpg

What is the widget on the top right? My battery percentage widget sometimes switches to something like that randomly.

soulenigma

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
What is the widget on the top right? My battery percentage widget sometimes switches to something like that randomly.

That is the battery widget. If you have your widget stack set to smart rotate it will change depending on situations or time of day, device connected etc. iOS learns when you use the widget or things that the widget utilizes.
For instance my one stack switches to Apple Music when I connect to my one Bluetooth speaker. You can disable it by tapping the smart rotate switch. To get to it just long press the stack and hit edit stack.
3ea1c2d0bee248e6c800e244ee5f34b1.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0823.jpg
    IMG_0823.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 1

sinime

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
You can still put widgets on the far left screen, you just have to go to the far left screen, scroll down and hit "Edit", then hit the "+" at the top to add a widget. Or you can move a widget from the app screen to the left widget screen.

Just tried it with one of my apps...

IMG_0604.jpg

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Fantastical for example does not have an old-style widget anymore... as do many other apps I normally use old-style widgets for.

You should be able to put the same homescreen widget on the Today screen. Just press on the Today screen, and tap the + in the upper right corner. Same as when you add the widget to the homescreen.

The_Prodigy1982

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
You should be able to put the same homescreen widget on the Today screen. Just press on the Today screen, and tap the + in the upper right corner. Same as when you add the widget to the homescreen.

I don't want the NEW... but the OLD widget on the left-swipe screen.
That's the whole deal, why is it so hard for developers to keep the old one intact and giving us te choice between both?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I don't want the NEW... but the OLD widget on the left-swipe screen.
That's the whole deal, why is it so hard for developers to keep the old one intact and giving us te choice between both?

I don't recall what the Today screen Fantastical widget looked like. But the new Fantastical widgets give you 12 layout options. And you can use more than one. You can reach out to Flexibits and request they offer the original Today widget as well as the homescreen widgets.

https://flexibits.com/contact

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77