• After more than 15 years covering everything Apple, it’s with a heavy heart we announce that we will no longer be publishing new content on iMore and the iMore forums will be closing as of November 1st, 2024.

Why buy iPhone x coming from Lumia 950 xl

notIThomas

Feb 18, 2018
Visit site
Hi,

I currently have a Windows phone Lumia 950 XL and I am looking to join the dark side.

I have been comparing my current phone with high end smartphones sold today and I am dissapointed.

The harware specs of my Lumia 950 xl arent really bad and on some specs better then iPhone x. My Lumia is 2 years old and I paid around 500€ for it 2 years ago. Why should I pay 1300€ for the iPhone X that isnt even superior hardware wise.

Can someone clarify?

Thanks

notIThomas

Feb 18, 2018
Visit site
Well I am looking so I was wondering is there something about the iPhone X that I am missing ? Where does the cost go? So why should I buy an iPhone X?

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Well I am looking so I was wondering is there something about the iPhone X that I am missing ? Where does the cost go? So why should I buy an iPhone X?

You shouldn’t buy an X. Buy a device that you want to spend the money on. It doesn’t sound like the cameras, OLED screen, Face ID, Animojis, wireless charging , water & dust resistance, etc. are worth it to you. Perhaps a Pixel, Note 8, or another iPhone would suit you better.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
From what I can see, the two biggest differences are the processor and the build quality. Additionally, some of the extra cost is the better LTE modem and the FaceID sensors. Last, there is the fact that Microsoft was aggressively discounting their phones in an attempt to build market share, as well as it being a 2+ year old phone, whereas Apple has always had a premium price tag. The issue with it being a 2+ year old phone is that the cost of the flagship phones have increased over the last several years; for example, the iPhone 6s, which was released close to the same time, was only $649 (for the cheapest version) at release, the same price as the 950 XL at release.

The processor in the iPhone is faster than many laptops, and much faster than the processor in your Lumia, which is now 2 (and almost 3) generations old. Also, the plastic frame of the Lumia is very inexpensive compared to the Stainless Steel frame of the iPhone.

The iPhone X is expensive, even for a flagship phone. I find that to typically be due to two factors -- one is the software (and warranty) support and the second is because of the FaceID costs (and the so called "Apple Tax" could also be included). The only other real "flagship" that currently also offers 3 years of software updates, the Pixel, is also $100 or so more expensive than other similarly equipped flagships -- and is missing things like the wireless charging, stainless steel, and dual cameras of the iPhone.

As for better, the three things I can somewhat see are the higher resolution on the screen and camera and the removable battery. If I'm missing something, let me know. The screen is offset a bit by the quality of the Apple display, being compatible with DolbyVision and HDR10, and also having the 3D touch ability. Most reviewers have also found having a higher resolution on photos is typically makes little difference, short of trying to make large prints (larger than 8x10) of your photos; instead the focus is more on color accuracy, slow motion video, and better low light photos -- and the iPhone cameras are rated among the best smartphone cameras. As for the replaceable battery, the trade off is that you gain water resistance on the iPhone.

Only you can decide if the price on the iPhone X is too high -- you can get most of the same features on the iPhone 8 or 8 Plus, if you don't feel the X is worth the extra money. You can even fall back to the iPhone 7 Plus, and still get most of what you'll find on the iPhone X, but at a much better price.

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I currently have a Windows phone Lumia 950 XL and I am looking to join the dark side.

I have been comparing my current phone with high end smartphones sold today and I am dissapointed.

The harware specs of my Lumia 950 xl arent really bad and on some specs better then iPhone x. My Lumia is 2 years old and I paid around 500€ for it 2 years ago. Why should I pay 1300€ for the iPhone X that isnt even superior hardware wise.

Can someone clarify?

Thanks

notIThomas

Feb 18, 2018
Visit site
Is there somebody who bought an iPhone X and can say it is worth it for the following reasons.... ?
I am honestly looking for the first time at iPhones, always been an WP fan. That is why I am seeking for some answers from users.

aximtreo

May 24, 2011
Visit site
No one mentioned Apple Support specifically. Having an Apple store locally with many iants onsite makes for a comfortable existance. I have had a 6s+, 7+, 8+, X and am now back to the 6s+ mainly for financial reasons. In all these cases, my local Apple Store was able to help me face to face with any problems or questions I had. Back to the X? when I can afford it.

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
The X is far superior all the way around no comparison at all. Especially with windows being dead its a good time to switch.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I currently have a 128 gig 7 Plus. I download lots of movies, books and music. If I wanted to upgrade I'd have to go with the 256 gig X model (since I'm already at 80 gigs used storage) and I can't justify the $1149 price tag.

I say if your current phone is working fine, stay with it. If you want an iPhone, I'd look at the 8 / 8 Plus.

RPA1408

Feb 17, 2018
Visit site
Isn’t Windows mobile basically a dead platform ? I last played around with the OS a couple of years ago and app wise it was a barren wasteland then, since then WhatsApp has dropped support and probably plenty of other developers. In my opinion the iPhone X is expensive, that applies to the majority of flagship devices, but at least its somewhat future proof. For the lofty fee you’ll be getting a device that could last you years.

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
You can't just look at specs to compare the phones. Numbers don't tell the whole story, or even part of it. I loved my 950 and all my previous Windows Phones, but the X (or even lesser iPhones) are no comparison. They are much smoother, and faster, and feel more refined/finished. While the camera in the 950/950XL is great, the X has an equally great camera (with some extra gimmicks/features) and is much much faster. Obviously there is a huge difference in operating system/app store (some good and some bad). Like others mentioned Apple support is also great (though a bit frustrating at times if you don't have a store nearby), but also the device will be supported with updates for many years to come, and unfortunately you can't say the same for your 950. Lastly the build quality and feeling in your hand is not even close to a comparison. The 950 even with a nice Mozo back cover feels like a toy compared to the X.

If you fully commit to the switch (and sooner or later you are going to have to), I think you will be very happy with an iPhone and specifically the X. I have a thread over on Windows Central when I made the switch, and I wavered back and forth for a while, even to Android for a little, but once I fully committed to iOS, I found ways to make everything work like I wanted and unless there is a huge change for Windows on mobile, I don't think I can go back.

Maybe look for a lightly used model to help alleviate the sticker shock. If you pay half price you are much more likely to think "This new phone really is worth the $XXX I paid".

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
Welcome to iMore!!!!

The fact that Microsoft is only providing security patches and bug fixes is a good reason to switch to something different. The top execs at Microsoft don't even use Windows Phone anymore. You'll really have to do some research and decide whether Android or iOS is better for you. They're both great platforms at this point. And both have good phones with the respective OS.

I've used both platforms pretty extensively, and will be happy to answer any specific questions you have.

vhl71

Feb 26, 2018
Visit site
I was exactly in the same boat as the OP. After using Lumia 950 since launch I’ve tried every other android phone for the last year and a half and returned or sold all of them (including pixel 2). All great hardware. But I cannot stand android

Finally bought an iPhone X last week and so far liking it a lot. Could b due to the new phone syndrome and don’t know how long I’ll keep this. But so far it’s not too bad. Even though I don’t like the notifications on iOS that much.

anon(5630457)

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
Help me understand something. Are you asking us if the most popular and powerful smartphone of 2017 is better than a phone that is three years old on a dead platform?

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
I think he is asking if it is worth upgrading for the cost of the X, not if the X is better than the 950XL (which I think even the biggest W10M fan would have to admit is the case).

I can relate to wanting to hold on to Windows 10 Mobile. I loved the UI and the operating system as a whole, but clearly it has been abandoned and will continue to be more and more limited as time goes on. Even knowing or speculating that to be the case I still wavered back a forth a couple times. (W10M->iOS->W10M->iOS->Android->W10M->iOS)

If the price of the X is really what you find too hard to swallow, I would recommend looking at a 7 Plus. Still gets you a great phone, great camera, and only giving up a little on the high end features of the X, but $200-300 less than the X (for a new phone, used even cheaper). It will still get the updates for a long time, and would give you a good sense of how iOS works. If you buy the cheapest iPhone 6 or something that you can find you will surely not be getting the full feeling of how iOS 11 should work.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shanefreedman