Why are my apps disappearing and not updating ?

jaxter0ne

Mar 8, 2016
Visit site
Hello everybody,
So since the release of iOS9 last September, I've only had problems. I went 5 times to the Apple Store whether for hardware or software problem (most of the time I think it's both) and had my iPhone 6 changed 3 times... I have restored iOS9 with and without backup several times... Anyway, now I have I problem I hope can be fixed without the help of Apple, but with your help!

So, here's the problem : my apps keep disappearing and/or freezing during update. I think both cases are linked to apps updating but the ladder can be fixed by rebooting, the first one is more problematic.
It is not always possible for me to download them back from the App Store so now I have ghost apps that are important for me but I can't use.
I know they're still on the device because I have 3 ghost apps displayed in the Settings panel (I can't add a link unfortunately since I just joined...)

Any chance someone might know how to fix that without doing a restore ?

Thanks a lot

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
First, welcome to iMore.

What version of iOS are you running? Do you have the latest 9.2.1?

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to iMore

Seeing as you had your device changed three times it's highly unlikely its a hardware issue. So that leaves software and since iOS 9.2.1 is safe in my opinion I suggest you update to the latest version and you might possible have to restore your device as new as something in your backup could be causing your ghost app issue

jaxter0ne

Mar 8, 2016
Visit site
Yes, I always update my iPhone to the latest version when available in hopes it would fix my problems but it doesn't. I already did a restore as new last time I changed my phone but it didn't solve the problem...

Thanks for yours answers!

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Try a hard reset. Press and hold both the sleep/awake button and the home button until the phone powers off and the Apple logo come up.

See if that helps.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
You need to delete the "ghost" apps. Do that in Settings > General > Usage > Manage storage > scroll to the ghost app and tap on it. Then tap delete. Then make sure it's gone from the homescreen as well. Then, if desired, download it again from the purchased list.

jaxter0ne

Mar 8, 2016
Visit site
Ok so I successfully deleted the ghost apps from the manage storage screen and re-downloaded them. Now that doesn't explain why this happens often when updating... Thanks for your help

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Ok so I successfully deleted the ghost apps from the manage storage screen and re-downloaded them. Now that doesn't explain why this happens often when updating... Thanks for your help

I don't know. Happens to me some as well. I'm hoping 9.3 fixes it.

teechur

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
I've had it happen as well. I support iPads and iPods and see it in about every 4th or 5th device that gets restored from a backup. Super irritating.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nijolcreative