Why Are Apple Computers So Much More Expensive Than PCs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MatthewGudenius

Jan 16, 2015
Visit site
"An equivalent quality Windows PC will cost nearly the same." = FALSE

Let me illustrate... I do media and game production. Because of that, I looked into a Mac Pro a few years ago (well, not for the game stuff -- Macs are pretty lackluster for 3D graphics and modeling -- but more for the music/video production side of things)

I saw a pretty hefty pricetag, at close to $3000. Then I started looking at the specs and realized something: This is just a customized PC, but running OSX.

So I went to [redacted] and custom-designed a Windows PC to spec, with the EXACT same hardware components (not equivalent ones, but identical... except for the cooling, which I upgraded to a liquid-cooled system) ... and it came out to $1000.

That's right... the Mac Pro Apple was charging $3000 for was actually $1000 if you got the Windows version of it with:

-- same CPU processor
-- same exact graphics card
-- same RAM
-- same MOBO
-- same everything (except case and OS)

Now, I don't know about you, but I don't think it's worth spending $2000 (well, $1800 to be exact) on an operating system (especially one that was actually MORE limited than Windows, considering you can't run industry-standard AutoDesk software like Motionbuilder on it...)

Now, I have some Apple products -- was a very early adopter of iPod; I also have a MBP, but have found that, due to limitations like the one I just listed, I had to install Windows on it anyway, and I find myself using the versatile, full-featured Surface Pro much more than my MacBook...

Last edited by a moderator:

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
The OS for macs is terrible, and they perform worlds lower at computing than a windows machine.

The graphics card in a mac is a friggn brick, have you even looked at performance?

Dolls_Laughing.gif

Silly little troll...you're lazy and unoriginal. OS X Yosemite has been compared a thousand times against Windows 8.1 and the vast majority of reviews finds it to be the superior OS for consumers vs. Windows, which is still stuck in the enterprise world (in terms of development, UI, etc).

I don't know why I'm sharing this with you though, you know it's true, but because you're a troll, you'll be banned soon, after you drool a few more asinine posts out.

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
http://images.wikia.com/mlp/images/4/4a/Dolls_Laughing.gif

Silly little troll...you're lazy and unoriginal. OS X Yosemite has been compared a thousand times against Windows 8.1 and the vast majority of reviews finds it to be the superior OS for consumers vs. Windows, which is still stuck in the enterprise world (in terms of development, UI, etc).

I don't know why I'm sharing this with you though, you know it's true, but because you're a troll, you'll be banned soon, after you drool a few more asinine posts out.

I'm guessing by their level of intelligence they are probably about 9-14. Probably got a PC for Christmas but they feel inferior because Bob at school got MacBook. So lil' kiddo has to come trash talk Mac to make themselves feel better.

Last edited:

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I am guessing that some users obsession with ordure increase costs somehow.

Didn't work for Blackberry, in fact, when people started smelling that particular pile of "ordure", they quickly and quietly boarded the lifeboats and made it to the shores of the other manufacturers that will still be making devices in 5 years, unlike BB, which will be associated with terms like "former" and "defunct" after a larger company devours them.

Honest question here though, are you prepared to change your screen name to "SamsungFunGuy" soon?

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I'm just wondering why anyone would go to astronomical lengths to cut down any other company. Who cares? So you like a Mac? Good. Get yourself one and be happy. So you like BlackBerry still? Great! Don't bash other platforms for superiority complex.

Live and let live. There isn't any good reason to let this type of thing get under your skin. I realize that's easier said than done but if you must argue, at least do so tactfully. Have a nice day! LOL

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm just wondering why anyone would go to astronomical lengths to cut down any other company. Who cares? So you like a Mac? Good. Get yourself one and be happy. So you like BlackBerry still? Great! Don't bash other platforms for superiority complex.

Live and let live. There isn't any good reason to let this type of thing get under your skin. I realize that's easier said than done but if you must argue, at least do so tactfully. Have a nice day! LOL

Sometimes pouring gas on a fire is fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro