Why are alert windows not showing up on iPad mini?

I

iMore Question

On my wife's iPad mini (64GB, running iOS 10.2), whenever I try to send her a photo via AirDrop, the alert message never appears, and thus she can never accept the file.

I changed the custom sound so that the AirDrop alert tone and ring tone are unique to all other sounds - and - I can HEAR when I send the photo via AirDrop, we just cannot do anything about it. (I pull down for Notifications ... and there's no message there either ..)

In fact, the issue is more general than just for AirDrop. Any app that generates an alert window seems to cause a problem - and often hangs if it needs a response before going forward. (AirDrop just happens to be an easy one to generate the issue, or should I say non-issue?)

I "helped" her out one holiday, and thought I'd upgrade the iOS version ... and instead installed a lot of hurt instead! (I won't go into the gory details).

The workaround solution is that my wife has learned to live with the basics she needs for eReading, FaceBook, and general surfing, and we avoid iOS updates now. However, I want more ... and would like some help figuring out - why do the alert boxes stay hidden?

I've combed through the Settings - can't find anything there that could have inadvertently hidden all system alerts.

Can you help?

Thanks,
- Greg

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Have you considered one or both of the options below?

1. Reset All Settings.
2. Do a Clean install of iOS and set up the device as new.

uptergroveGreg

Jul 17, 2017
Visit site
I have tried #1 Reset All Settings (tried all combinations of settings ... up to and including Reset All), and it doesn't change things.

I'm not sure the best way to do #2 - since - when I connect the iPad to another computer, I can't see the alert window that is supposed to popup once the computer is in iTunes and sends the iPad the message "Do you Trust this Computer?" .... I can't trust the computer it's connected to if I can't click an invisible alert window box !!!

Of course, exacerbating this issue is that the only laptop that ever DID connect to the iPad had to be returned to the school board, as my wife just retired from teaching. We didn't think to disconnect it from its iTunes connection before returning the laptop.

There are some photos on the iPad - I can AirDrop them to my Mac, but, other than those, I think everything else should return if I do a complete hard boot / factory reset ... if that's what you think will help. Only question is .... what key combination / incantation is needed to go that extreme measure - OR - is there something slightly less drastic to try first ?

Thanks,
-Greg
:)

uptergroveGreg

Jul 17, 2017
Visit site
HI again.

Just did a RESET ALL SETTINGS ... still no luck afterwards with a simple AirDrop of a photo from my iPhone to the iPad mini.

Also - just updated software to most recent iOS 10.3.3 - no problems at all with update. EXCEPT ... that I can still not AirDrop from my iPhone to the iPad mini. I heard the special sound that I customized (again, after the reset) that indicates an AirDrop is in process or imminent ... but alas ... no alert window that will allow me to Accept the incoming photo.

Also - attached annoying iPad mini to my Mac - iTunes says "To allow access, please respond on your iPad...", which I would REALLY like to ... but there's no FRIGGING alert window popping up on the iPad !

Please ... someone save me from this torture chamber ...

- Greg

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Be sure Bluetooth and wifi is on. The receiving device's screen has to be on. AirDrop sharing requests appear as notifications on the iOS Lock screen. Or used to. I haven't used it it a while.

uptergroveGreg

Jul 17, 2017
Visit site
Thanks Ledsteplin, but, yes, I double checked those settings. (the option to AirDrop from my other iPad wouldn't even appear when the iPad mini's BlueTooth was off - even had to make sure they were on the same home network).

I'm pretty convinced it's not a BlueTooth issue since I hear the "chime" sound that I've attached to the AirDrop event in settings (and this is the ONLY event that has this sound in settings). I always hear the chime when attempting to AirDrop to the iPad mini, but NEVER see the notification window that allows me to accept the files.

I can work around AirDropping by emailing to myself or to my wife ... but ... what I can't workaround is trying to get the iPad mini to connect and sync with a new computer since the notification window (alert window is what I originally called it) NEEDS to appear and NEEDS to be acknowledged to trust any new computer the iPad mini now connects to.

Thanks,
-Greg

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen