Why am I unable to attach a picture to a text message?

Goldenhare

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
Can't attach picture to text message

Today I wanted to send a picture to my daughter in a message and was unable to attach it. I was able to do this just fine before the ios 8.2 upgrade. How do I fix this?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: Can't attach picture to text message

It is on. I've searched forums and can't find an answer anywhere.

If MMS is on then you should be able to attach a photo to an iMessage or text message. You can do it directly from the Photos app using the share feature or from within the Messages app by selecting the camera icon and then selecting the photo. By the way, how large is the photo you're trying to send?

Goldenhare

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site

It's not a big picture but I can't attach using any apps. This happened the last time there was an update and I found the answer on this site - just can't find it again.

Update - seems like I can send it by text when going straight to the text message and using the camera icon. Just can't send from the camera roll.

At least I can do it :)

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Can't attach picture to text message

It's not a big picture but I can't attach using any apps. This happened the last time there was an update and I found the answer on this site - just can't find it again.

Update - seems like I can send it by text when going straight to the text message and using the camera icon. Just can't send from the camera roll.

At least I can do it :)

That's good news...;).

1amaBubbe

Aug 11, 2015
Visit site
I have tried all of your suggestions that were given and still cannot attach video or photo. Only began after I did upgrade. HELP I miss receiving and sending videos and photos of my grandchildren. The only way I have regular contact with my children and their family.

etorres79

Apr 5, 2016
Visit site
Same problem here. I am unable to attach a picture to a text. Tried resetting things, changing settings etc. This started with the last update. 9.3.1

Any help?

MrMike6by9

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site

I'm on the most resent update on a 6S+. I tested it both ways (that I always use). I can tap the camera icon (in messages) and select the image source (such as from library) by touching the camera icon first. I'm also able to start with text in the box and then touching the camera icon to bring up the source choice. How are you performing this or failing to perform these steps)?
YMMV

rhondaehaynes1

Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
I am having the same problem. I cannot select photos from the camera roll to send via imessage or to other. If I do a "screen shot" of the photo I am able to select the screen shot and send via message.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I'm not having any of these issues; like Mr. Mike6by9, I can send pictures either way. This is definitely curious issue, and I hope you are able to solve it soon!

lisaxlawlar1109

Apr 19, 2016
Visit site
I was dealing with this problem, and after an hour on the phone with Apple, I managed to somehow fix it myself. Hope it works for you!

Settings > Photos & Camera > There should be 2 options "Optimize iPhone Storage" & "Download and Keep Originals", I had the Optimize iPhone Storage checked, and once I switched it to Download and Keep Originals, I was able to attach my pictures from my camera roll to my text messages again!

lisaxlawlar1109

Apr 19, 2016
Visit site
Same problem here. I am unable to attach a picture to a text. Tried resetting things, changing settings etc. This started with the last update. 9.3.1

Any help?

I was dealing with this problem, and after an hour on the phone with Apple, I managed to somehow fix it myself. Hope it works for you!

Settings > Photos & Camera > There should be 2 options "Optimize iPhone Storage" & "Download and Keep Originals", I had the Optimize iPhone Storage checked, and once I switched it to Download and Keep Originals, I was able to attach my pictures from my camera roll to my text messages again!

lisaxlawlar1109

Apr 19, 2016
Visit site
I am having the same problem. I cannot select photos from the camera roll to send via imessage or to other. If I do a "screen shot" of the photo I am able to select the screen shot and send via message.

mabbitch

May 6, 2016
Visit site

This worked for me! I've only recently had this problem and I didn't realize that it would've been something really simple. Hope everyone else can find a solution! ☺️

Barry Leis

May 14, 2016
Visit site

Thanks this worked. I have been hitting my head over this.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods