Why am I not getting Amber and Emergency Alerts?

I

iMore Question

I don't have my phone on do not disturb or anything. Even though my Alerts are on, I have never gotten a notification -- even when others in my area have.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Do you use the same service provider as people who get the alerts? Not all providers are able to deliver the alerts in all areas they serve yet.

jmecca09

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I could be wrong on this, but I think Amber alerts are currently tied to your phone number. I have a VA phone number and I recently moved to WA. A few weeks ago, I got an Amber alert on my work phone with a WA number. Both my personal and work phones were on my desk at work, but my personal phone (the one with the VA number), did not get the alert. Both phones are iPhone 6 on the same carrier.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Both Amber and Emergency Alerts are ON but I don't get them. Why not?

I could be wrong on this, but I think Amber alerts are currently tied to your phone number. I have a VA phone number and I recently moved to WA. A few weeks ago, I got an Amber alert on my work phone with a WA number. Both my personal and work phones were on my desk at work, but my personal phone (the one with the VA number), did not get the alert. Both phones are iPhone 6 on the same carrier.

You're probably right. They have to determine your area or region some way.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
The way I understand how the system is supposed to work is that every phone on any cell tower within the geographic area the alert is supposed to cover is supposed to get the alert...

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
Do you know for sure Amber Alerts went out for your area but did not alert on your iPhone?

Yes ... two ways.
#1 you're in a area with multiple people, their Android phone are going off and the folks with iPhones are getting nothing ...
#2 All though iPhones are and have been my primary phone since their release, I dabble with Android phones and products to fulfill the tech-geek in me. Now in the limited amounts of time I use these phones I've experienced quite a few Alerts.
I have been on two carriers (at&t, T-Mobile), and I live in Seattle, so there's no rhyme or reason to any of this ...

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Yes ... two ways.
#1 you're in a area with multiple people, their Android phone are going off and the folks with iPhones are getting nothing ...
#2 All though iPhones are and have been my primary phone since their release, I dabble with Android phones and products to fulfill the tech-geek in me. Now in the limited amounts of time I use these phones I've experienced quite a few Alerts.
I have been on two carriers (at&t, T-Mobile), and I live in Seattle, so there's no rhyme or reason to any of this ...

Gotcha! I've never had my Amber Alert go off. But then, I don't recall there being one for my area since iOS 7 started.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
I just don't get them for whatever reason ...
The last one I received happened while steaming music in my car, talk about 110 DB scare that had me cursing the Amber Alert System for weeks!!!

Bulletproof7

May 13, 2017
Visit site
MY PHONE IS NEAR MY HUSBAND'S PHONE. WE BOTH HAVE THE SAME AREA CODE (617) AND BOTH HAVE T-MOBILE AS OUR CARRIER. ALTHOUGH MY AMBER AND EMERGENCY ALERTS IN MY SETTINGS ARE ON, I DO NOT GET AMBER ALERTS BUT MY HUSBAND DOES. HIS PHONE WAS WITHIN A FEW FEET FROM MINE AND HIS ALERTS GOING OFF LIKE CRAZY WHILE MINE STAYED SILENT. Two or three times his went off! Why did mine not go off???? I have iPhone 7 and he has the Galaxy S4....HELP!

Kilwillie

May 4, 2017
Visit site
Amber alerts are tied to the number. Are both numbers assigned to the same County/area? You might check with your carrier.

As far as I know, it's supposed to depend on the tower you're connected to at the time, not where your number is from. Makes sense since most people don't bother to change numbers when they move to another state anymore.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR