Why am I getting this error on my iPad Mini IOS 8 (unable to download item, please try again later)?

fightcrazy

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
IPad mini with retina display, after the IOS 8 update every time I reboot my iPad or sometime for no apparent reason I'll get the pop-up. Went and googled it and it seems there are quite a few people experiencing the same problem but no one can figure it out. Some say it is the U2 download causing this, I deleted the U2 album with the Apple directed code. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening? My 5S is updated and doesn't have this problem.
Thanks, Vinny

Katrina VanTassel

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I've got an iPad Air and it's doing the same thing. Hasn't cleared up. Really regretting the ios8 update. Developers didn't seem to test anything before putting it out there.

fightcrazy

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
Still having problem even after today's update. Weird because I don't get it on my 5S. I googled it and there are many people having the same issue. Was hoping after 8.0.2 it would be cleared up, no such luck. Any input would be welcomed.
Thank You,
Vinny

Traci McMahan

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I am having the same exact issue and I cannot figure out where where it is coming from. It started right after I purchased the movie "A Million Ways to Die in the West" from what I can tell. Maybe a coincidence. The movIe is marked for the cloud only right now. It should not be trying to download it. There are no pending app to be updated. I am removing my Podcast subscriptions to see if one of the stations is having an issue.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Do any of you have "automatic download" set in the iTunes & App Store setting and/or iTunes Match enabled?

fightcrazy

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
Just checked those settings and that is a negative, I'm stumped. Thought for sure after the 8.0.2 update I would be all set. If you can think of anything i'll try it.
Thank You,
Vinny

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Just checked those settings and that is a negative, I'm stumped. Thought for sure after the 8.0.2 update I would be all set. If you can think of anything i'll try it.
Thank You,
Vinny

Like you, I'm stumped, but hopefully, we'll find the culprit at some point, and hopefully soon...:)

fightcrazy

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
Very frustrating. I've been looking at different websites & many people have this problem. If I find the answer I'll put it on this forum. If U come up with a solution please let us know.
Thanks, Vinny

Andrew Rossetti

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
I've been getting this same error message on my iPod touch 5th gen. Never got it on any of the betas, but it began to appear with the GM, and continued through 8.0.1 and 8.0.2.

El Pituca

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Very frustrating. I've been looking at different websites & many people have this problem. If I find the answer I'll put it on this forum. If U come up with a solution please let us know.
Thanks, Vinny

I feel you. I keep getting the same message since I got the U2 album. I tried switching to another iCloud session, switching the ITunes account, updated to 8.02. Nothing worked.

When I tap on Settings the phone slows down a bit. Looks like it is always trying to download something and can't figure out what.

Cheers.

donawalt

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I too was getting the popup "Unable to download...", it seems to me it might have been an iBook but I was never 100% positive (and I do not have it on my iPhone 5s). Tried a lot of things, even deleting all the local copies of iBooks and it still happened. Based on another forum tip I finally backed up to iTunes, Reset my iPad Air to factory state, and restored. Problem has disappeared. It wasn't that painful to do with iTunes, only about an hour.

I bet only a reset/restore will take care of it, I think something got corrupted on the device - my .02.

fightcrazy

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the advice, I was hoping that wouldn't be necessary but if all else fails reset and restore.
Thanks again,
Vinny

Andrew Rossetti

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
Well, I upgraded to the 8.1 beta and haven't seen the issue since on my iPod touch. Hopefully this bodes well for everyone else once 8.1 is released.

El Pituca

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Today I accessed my iTunes account through the computer software and my account was showing there's 1 pending item. I hid the U2 album and all unnecessary apps. Then I went to my phone, closed my account, power-cycled and accessed again. It finally worked, it is not popping up anymore.

I think the reason why this keeps popping up even after you deleted the songs / when accessing iBooks iss because the U2 album comes with a little PDF booklet. That's why even if you finished downloading / deleted the songs your iTunes account keeps trying to get the pending booklet.

Hope it works.