• After more than 15 years covering everything Apple, it’s with a heavy heart we announce that we will no longer be publishing new content on iMore and the iMore forums will be closing as of November 1st, 2024.

Who’s ready to “Spring Forward” into Daylight Savings Time?

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
PSA: Daylight Savings Time begins in most places at 2AM, Sunday, March 8th. I’m sorry to lose an hour of sleep, but ready for Spring!

E994E2C3-0EEA-4447-816C-D0A5D07DD10A.jpeg

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
Been waiting for this day since Nov. Here in the Eastern Caribbean, we stay on Atlantic Standard time all year thus there is no time change with places like NYC, MIA etc in the spring, summer and part of fall. Since most of our TV broadcast scheduling ( for the most part our provider gets its programs by Satellite) reflects 'Eastern time' as prime, in the winter, most of our 8 PM shows are at 9PM here, the 9PM at 10 and so on. My wife & I are normally kaput 🥱 before 10 so lose out on a lot. We don't have a lot of 'mod cons' to record & replay shows at more convenient times so give me this situation all year long. For those confused, EDT & AST are the same.

Last edited:

JandN2639

Nov 23, 2017
Visit site
I have read that the reason for the change was that at the beginning of the US railroad system, they were not able to provide light for the trains. Farmers have been blamed for it, but changing the clock does not change when the sun rises and sets, or animals’ expectations of food.

Daylight Saving has been a nuisance ever since electricity made it unnecessary.

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
I fully realize that my reasons are self-serving and we expect to play 'catch-up' with re-runs etc for a few months into March & April.
Speaking of train-thinking and anachronisms - when I joined the airline ( Air Canada, 1973) our 'pairings' ( pilotese for 'work-schedules') were always issued written in 'Standard Time' regardless of which was in use - ie even is summer ' ( Daylight Savings Time) was shown on the public published schedules & brochures, our work orders were in Standard time. That too reflected some clauses in collective agreements with railway workers which 'couldn't be changed'. That held until the late 70's. I don't know if we were the only air carrier who tried to stay in steam train days though.
Call me a fool but two anachronisms I'd like rid of are 'the 12 hour clock' ie as a world culture with communication across multitudes of time zones, having to process 'AM vs PM' is unneeded and silly, once used to using all the hours of the day with dedicated numbering. Oh, and while we rewrite the rules, let's ditch Fahrenheit temperature reporting as well. I suspect that when away from the US, it's almost unheard of. All aviation meteorological reporting has been quantified metrically for 20+ years and only broadcast TV/radio still (US only) use 'degrees F'...

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I'm just glad that it happens between Saturday night and Sunday morning! I can't imagine losing an hour of sleep on Monday! I was late enough as it was. :rolleyes:

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
If the whole truth be known, before the TV schedule issue, ie when I was working & living in Canada, I always felt that the 'hour I lost' in the spring, I didn't get back until the following fall. I normally worked around the 3 hr time change to the West Coast and even the 6 or 7 hr differences crossing the Atlantic ( never having worked any Asian routes) without much difficulty though, for which I was glad.

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I’m never too stoked about falling back but I love to spring forward. I’m always up at dawn anyway because Néroli likes to walk when the sun comes up but it’s nice to have daylight later in the day.

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
I'd did take awhile to get used to the fact that daylight hours don't change nearly as much the closer to the equator one is. While 'dusk' can migrate from maybe 4PM in Nov/ Dec to 9PM June /July, further north, here ( in Barbados) it varies only between about 5:30 PM to 6:30 PM seasonally. . Our period of twilight is really short, sunset or sunrise. Now about the "AM / PM" description, oh well.- I guess I've been beaten into shape

Last edited:

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I have always been a supporter of leaving it on daylight savings time and be done with it. A lot of folks in the tourist industry depend on the extra daylight hours for their livelihood.

I know I’m Florida and it was out on the ballot of the folks there have voted to keep it on daylight savings time permanently.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mohammadreza